Where are the jobs???

What are you guys that use LinkedIn views on actually posting a picture? I'm very aware of discrimination, just not on the net but in the world of course.I'm debating I realize it makes the page and your resume more legit given the millions of trolls on that site. I'm not the biggest fan of the internet or posting personal photos to randoms all over.

Last edited:
The jobs are in the DMV area...no signs of a recession here job wise. As long as the Government is up and running, there will be plenty of jobs in the DC metro area.

Fact! I work in the IT field and finding a job in this area is a breeze. You don't even need to do the hunting yourself, they will find you!

Location is a huge factor in all of this.

Fact! I work in the IT field and finding a job in this area is a breeze. You don't even need to do the hunting yourself, they will find you!
Location is a huge factor in all of this.

Yup, the only negative around the DC area is the commute/traffic...but if your lucky enough to be close to metro/VRE/MARC or a commuter lot, then it isn't as bad. I feel bad for some other areas where there are noooooo jobs.

Here we have the Government, Military Bases, and private sector companies galore.

Yup, the only negative around the DC area is the commute/traffic...but if your lucky enough to be close to metro/VRE/MARC or a commuter lot, then it isn't as bad. I feel bad for some other areas where there are noooooo jobs.
Here we have the Government, Military Bases, and private sector companies galore.

True but I am sure that comes with the territory in any major market.

True but I am sure that comes with the territory in any major market.

Word. Pittsburgh sucks as a job market. U have all these colleges so once a person graduates, they get stuck here bc they can't find a job anywhere else. The law market is worse, courts hiring family and law offices want 5+ years experience on top of a bachelors which means they don't want my age group.

I considered DC but I would only do it if I could be close to my gig which from my understanding is out of the question cost wise.

Crazy how there are jobs out there but the qualifications seem to be out of reach for those of us who are trying to get our foot in the door

What about security clearances? I hear you have to be sponsored or have been in the military to get them.

What about security clearances? I hear you have to be sponsored or have been in the military to get them.

That is not true. Some companies require that you already have a clearance to start, other jobs simply require that you are able to obtain one. They have you fill out the required SF paperwork for your NACI background, public trust or clearance level with your new hire paper work and all you have to do is wait until you get cleared.

If you have a clean background, the process is a breeze....even without a clean background it is possible, just takes longer and becomes complicated.

There all the same simplyhired,indeed.com,monster,careerbuilder. They basically offer nothing in return for posting your resume. If I was into writing code and had a group of friends willing to work with me I would design a completely different way to apply and submit for jobs directly to HR reps. What is offered now for potential job seekers is completely bogus. Let's not forgot about the biggest scam site ever craigslist.org.

Last edited:
if it's a smaller company, this will work.

Yep. I responded to a job listing once by walking in with my cover letter and resume. The owner said I was the only person out of 50 applicants who showed up in person to drop theirs off. I basically got hired on the spot.

Ive been looking for a while now and nothing has come up. Its so frustrating I apply to everything and been stalking these damn recruiters.

change your mindset. Know what you want and go after.

Stop being your own victim, take responsibility for your own life.

There all the same simplyhired,indeed.com,monster,careerbuilder. They basically offer nothing in return for posting your resume. If I was into writing code and had a group of friends willing to work with me I would design a completely different way to apply and submit for jobs directly to HR reps. What is offered now for potential job seekers is completely bogus. Let's not forgot about the biggest scam site ever craigslist.org.

Yeah like I said before, these websites have the same IT subcontractors pulling your info, calling you, and then when you call them back, they ask for your resume. Hunh?! :lol:

They're a complete waste of time.

I feel you on the job hunt. It took me 12 interviews before I finally got my teaching position, it was incredibly stressful and discouraging, but I'm happy with where I am now. Good luck!

I feel you on the job hunt. It took me 12 interviews before I finally got my teaching position, it was incredibly stressful and discouraging, but I'm happy with where I am now. Good luck!

Congrats on the teaching position, what grade and subject? I agree with those advising to drive out and drop off their resumes and cover letters. I did this, in addition to sending out personal emails. I don't think I would have gotten interview opportunities by just submitting online applications.

Congrats on the teaching position, what grade and subject? I agree with those advising to drive out and drop off their resumes and cover letters. I did this, in addition to sending out personal emails. I don't think I would have gotten interview opportunities by just submitting online applications.

Thanks. I teach middle school Phys Ed in the Bronx. If I didn't get a job I would be screwed, because there is little else that I could do with this degree, but I knew that jobs would open up here, even for my major. However, if I lived in a small town in the Midwest I would have majored in something more practical like accounting or engineering.

Also, if anyone desperately needs money, substitute teaching is an option for just about anyone who has a Bachelor's degree, it's not the best job in the world but it can give you some income.

Yeah like I said before, these websites have the same IT subcontractors pulling your info, calling you, and then when you call them back, they ask for your resume. Hunh?! :lol:

They're a complete waste of time.

I'm beginning to see this as well.

I graduated in May of 2011 with a degree in Communications and I'm still looking for work. Currently working at a grocery store and it is killing my body. Had ACL surgery and had to go back to work after a month and a half because disability was doing me! I've interned for the Sacramento River Cats, San Jose Earthquakes, and done some side work with Soccer United Management. In about a year and a half I've only interviewed for paid intern positions with the A's, and some minor league teams throughout the USA as well as a position with the Sacramento Kings. Didn't get any of them. Starting to think that it inst about who you know all the time. I thought for sure I'd get the A's job because I'd worked for their Triple-A affiliate and the Earthquakes which are also owned by the Oakland A's...very discouraging

Back
Top Bottom