What was your starting salary like STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE?

.hopefully i can get in grad school for mathematical finance....anybody working in finance?
nerd.gif

So did you go to an apprenticeship program?

Nope..in Canada you can only get ticketed on the east coast..i mean i kinda of apprenticed i guess. i worked for a few people to show me the ropes and build myskill and experience. but like i said theres no ticket for it on the west, so no school. just money
smile.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by you big dummy

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Originally Posted by dreClark

Any CIS Majors or cats in the IT field?
Yo.
Bout to be. Realized CS and majority programming aint really my bag.
I have a year left

Did anyone pick up any certifications?

nerd.gif
Man I been trying to make moves, but this stuff is so broad I don't even know where to start.

~ $45,000 @ a small law firm
No university degree
CCNA, A+, Net+ certs

Originally Posted by illfrozn

Originally Posted by you big dummy

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Any CIS Majors or cats in the IT field?
Yo.
Bout to be. Realized CS and majority programming aint really my bag.
I have a year left

Did anyone pick up any certifications?

nerd.gif
Man I been trying to make moves, but this stuff is so broad I don't even know where to start.

~ $45,000 @ a small law firm
No university degree
CCNA, A+, Net+ certs

Nice, If I want to start working on getting my certs, where exactly do I begin? I`m really trying to Intern this upcoming year also, but most the internshipopportunities were targeted mainly to Programmers, so I were kinda out of luck.

Originally Posted by Dollaman11

So did you go to an apprenticeship program?

Nope..in Canada you can only get ticketed on the east coast..i mean i kinda of apprenticed i guess. i worked for a few people to show me the ropes and build my skill and experience. but like i said theres no ticket for it on the west, so no school. just money
smile.gif

I wish it was that easy here im trying to do an apprenticeship in carpentry, but they postponed it until september because the economy

Nice, If I want to start working on getting my certs, where exactly do I begin? I`m really trying to Intern this upcoming year also, but most the internship opportunities were targeted mainly to Programmers, so I were kinda out of luck.
I am currently an IT undergrad(junior year), so I don't have a job yet so take this with a gain of salt. I have an internship this summerprogramming even though my major is network engineering. When it comes to IT your internships will almost always be based on programming. My theory on this isthat if you work on programs for a company they have some tangible work that they can keep when you leave your internship. If you helped oversee their networksor something like that they get less from you and when you leave they lose that value you were giving to the company. I don't know if I am making sense.Lol. So anyway in my internship I started off programming, but I got moved to doing more databse programming with SQL, which is better than app programming.I'm starting to think programming is like our right of passage. You kind of have to come in programming and then move to what you want later. Dont get mewrong there are inernships where you just work on networking stuff or database stuff, but for every one of those its like 3 internships that program. I go toPurdue University so we have huge career fairs and the amount of programming internships outweigh the straight up networking internships heavily.

Originally Posted by isiahil

Nice, If I want to start working on getting my certs, where exactly do I begin? I`m really trying to Intern this upcoming year also, but most the internship opportunities were targeted mainly to Programmers, so I were kinda out of luck.
I am currently an IT undergrad(junior year), so I don't have a job yet so take this with a gain of salt. I have an internship this summer programming even though my major is network engineering. When it comes to IT your internships will almost always be based on programming. My theory on this is that if you work on programs for a company they have some tangible work that they can keep when you leave your internship. If you helped oversee their networks or something like that they get less from you and when you leave they lose that value you were giving to the company. I don't know if I am making sense. Lol. So anyway in my internship I started off programming, but I got moved to doing more databse programming with SQL, which is better than app programming. I'm starting to think programming is like our right of passage. You kind of have to come in programming and then move to what you want later. Dont get me wrong there are inernships where you just work on networking stuff or database stuff, but for every one of those its like 3 internships that program. I go to Purdue University so we have huge career fairs and the amount of programming internships outweigh the straight up networking internships heavily.
Yea the thing is with the CIS curriculum, you dont really get into your real classes until Junior yr, so I was pretty much a Sophomore, goingagainst cats that were Juniors and Seniors, who had alot of programming under their belt, while I have had no programing classes, because of all the BusinessPre reqs I have to knock out, Starting fall I`ll be just really getting into the beginning of my CIS core classes. So next summer I should be better off beingthat now I will have some of these classes under my belt.

Applying to PA schools right now.

Hopefully I get into one. If I do, its 2 years of Hell then I'll have several job offers all above 80k. Even 100k+ possibly.

Currently at MSU, microbiology major, working as an EMT.

.....Gotta get in first tho...

Lucky whatever you do, get certs that matter...As far as Comptia goes.. A+, Net+, and Sec+, are the only comptia certs that are worth anything at all; and theyaren't worth much. The Sec+ fills some of the requirements for dod directive 8570(if u ever do branch out into security).

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

CPark, U was in "NESBY" ?
Did this guy actually say nesby
laugh.gif

NSBE will put you through the door. I know guys who used NSBE to get jobs at ExxonMobil, Apple, GE, JP Morgan Chase, Deloitte, etc. Without NSBE these guyswould not be at these firms. Trust me.
If you're a black engineering major and not in NSBE, you need to be.

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

Originally Posted by presequel

bachelors
graphic designer
cali
im a junior at the communication arts dept vcu, thinking about staying to get a bachelors in graphic design. How long did it take you to pic that job up?
Can a Designer please answer this?

Is it worth getting the Bachelors if you're trying to become a graphic designer?

If I was to just get the Associates about how much would I make starting out?

Originally Posted by EveryDayKicks

Anyone a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist??

Im thinking about trying to become one and 165k on average isn't bad either
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

my wife is doing that program. average may be $165, but realistically, its $175k-$200k easily around here in socal. cal state fullerton...its a 2 year programafter youve been a nurse for a few years @ cal state fullerton, operates off site in pasadena

Originally Posted by CParkFresh

B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Florida A & M University

Nuclear Engineer/Inspector - US Government

I started out on at somewhere around 50K and got automatic promotions every year for 4 years up to 88K. However, with cost of living adjustments and a promotion to GG-14 I got to over 100K in 5.

Here is the current pay progression for the program that I came into.

(2009) Present $60,139 (GG-7)

(2010) At 1 Year $65,255 (GG-9)

(2011) At 2 Years $71,802 (GG-11)

(2012) At 3 Years $82,335 (GG-12)

(2013) At 4 Years $107,094 (GG-13)

What city you live in?

Originally Posted by Sha77er S7ar I

Originally Posted by EveryDayKicks

Anyone a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist??

Im thinking about trying to become one and 165k on average isn't bad either
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

my wife is doing that program. average may be $165, but realistically, its $175k-$200k easily around here in socal. cal state fullerton...its a 2 year program after youve been a nurse for a few years @ cal state fullerton, operates off site in pasadena
Nice, so how do I get in to something like this? Im gonna be fresh in to college in the fall and this might be something i want to do

Do i take classes to become a regular nurse and then get into a program for Nurse Anesthetist?

Originally Posted by dyzzle

Originally Posted by Rapsteady1

AntonLaVey & Letsgetit22

I'm currently in an internal medicine residency program.

Once I complete that, I'm either planning to specialize as a cardiologist or an oncologist- which takes about an extra 3-5 years.
good choice bro
pimp.gif
my dad is one.
i have two more quarters left at my U.C. (undergraduate)
BS biological science
hoping to be a cosmetic surgeon or a dermatologist so i can take over my mom's clientele
laugh.gif
but my sister got there first. she just graduated med school recently
pimp.gif

Great field. If your planning on becoming a surgeon I hear you have to do residency in general surgery then specialize in the field you want. (I believeresidency for general surgery is 4 years then specializing in what you want takes anywhere from 3-8 years). From what I hear from my colleagues it is verychallenging and grueling, but all my colleagues love their careers and drive BMW's, Benz's, Ferrari's, etc. EDIT: You'll def. get BIG BANK.

One thing I`m really trying to do is upon retirement getting my PHD and becoming a College professor, teaching IT/Business related course work

I'm graduating in a year.

Interdisciplinary Studies (Business, Communication, AFAS/Poly Sci/English)

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Most likely PR, possibly grad school.

I kinda want to get a job at my old high school. It's easy work for $50K a year and tuition assistance for my MBA.

Originally Posted by CParkFresh

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

CPark, U was in "NESBY" ?

NSBE - Technically yes.... but was I active no.

Originally Posted by belle155

pharmacist, graduated 2 years ago. started at over 6 figures. had a few raises since then. bonus next week.
Pharmacists get beaucoup dough
smh.gif

My sister just graduated from FAMU School of Pharmacy. Something like 40% of all black pharmacists in the US come from there. Anyhow, FAMU has a 6 year PharmD program. So basically you get your Doctorate in 6 years.

Shes starting out at $120K

307t4lt.jpg

NICE... congrats to your sister!
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom