What makes Madison Square Garden so special?

tired.gif

I don't have any dislike or hatred towards New York City....But I have never associated basketball with New York City.

When I think of New York City I think of the Yankees.

IMO, Madison Square Garden doesn't have that it factor. Just because it's the arena in the biggest city in America doesn't make the best.

This dude said this at my current schools freshman orientation...i lightweight bugged on him...he still doesnt like me
roll.gif

gimme a pass though he said it in a disrespectful nyc aint $%+% tone

Long story short -

Basketball wise....
Every great player who has ever played the game has put on a uniform and stepped on to MSG's floor. You cant say the same for any other arena in sportstoday.

NYC the mecca of basketball.

So much History in this arena.

Hold so many events, almost an event nightly. (Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, St John's, Concerts, Boxing)

The lighthing is special, makes the floor seem like a stage.

NYC.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

I don't have any dislike or hatred towards New York City....But I have never associated basketball with New York City.

When I think of New York City I think of the Yankees.

IMO, Madison Square Garden doesn't have that it factor. Just because it's the arena in the biggest city in America doesn't make the best.

Clearly you have never been there and not very basketball savvy if you're saying MSG doesnt have that "It" factor....you're joking, right?

NYC is the basketball mecca. Hands down.

At MSG you feel like you are playing on a stage. Its not any normal arena.

You have to ride the elevator UP four or five floors...the doors open....you are at the VERY BOTTOM of the arena...court level.

The garden is historic The team playing today...notsomuch scoring 40+ back then > scoring 77 there now.

Some idiots in this thread.

Good thing all you tools are in here, I get to ignore you all at once
pimp.gif

*CLICK

from the whole sports history angle i agree MSG is special

from my sports management experience i thought the whole arena experience was confusing (getting to/finding seats, concessions kind of suck)

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Absolutely nothing.

No real tradition of winning, or history really.

Somewhere along the line some group decided that just because it was the main arena in new york, that it was the 'mecca of basketball'.

There is absolutely nothing to support such a preposterous claim.
laugh.gif
Silly kid.

ever watch a playoff game at MSG on TV? i get chills hearing the crowd in that arena.

nowhere else matches that, regardless of any sports.

and it's also how they emphasize the court by turning the lights off on the crowd (something staples center copied with the lakers) and it really focuseson the game.

but MSG also has hosted some big events over the years (ali fights, concerts to some of the greatest artists...)

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

NY breathes basketball.
QFT.

Which is why, before I take my last breath, I'd love to take a trip to NYC during the NBA season and watch a game at Madison Square Garden.

What's hilarious is that Kobe, LeBron, Jordan...pretty much everyone has explained why playing at MSG is special for them...but y'all still don'tget it. If I hear the best basketball player ever say that MSG is a special arena and a place that he loved to play, I don't need to further question it.

My fellow Knicks fans have done a great job explaining it, so I can save my time typing.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

What's hilarious is that Kobe, LeBron, Jordan...pretty much everyone has explained why playing at MSG is special for them...but y'all still don't get it. If I hear the best basketball player ever say that MSG is a special arena and a place that he loved to play, I don't need to further question it.

My fellow Knicks fans have done a great job explaining it, so I can save my time typing.
laugh.gif

Yep its like Lambeau Field,Fenway Park or Wrigley Field it doesnt matter if there is really absolute validity to being hailed. People just consider it a greatplace to play.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Absolutely nothing.

No real tradition of winning, or history really.

Somewhere along the line some group decided that just because it was the main arena in new york, that it was the 'mecca of basketball'.

There is absolutely nothing to support such a preposterous claim.

pretty much. it has about as much history as any old stadium in a big city.

i think the great western forum > that place. at least it has a history of winning teams.
laugh.gif

The organ during the defense chant is a staple.
laugh.gif
I have it as a ring tone.

As for this post, it reeks of comedy
laugh.gif
. MSG is like a stage, it's a place where many great things have happened. The reason why Kobe got "MVP"chants, because NY fans know the game, and don't have a problem givin' dap, when it's earned.

Cant believe i have yet to post this... but yeah imma end the discussion.

yeah to answer yalls questions got to the 5:56 mark in this vid.

eek.gif
pimp.gif
I have NEVER seen any stadium EVER get up like MSG did that moment. Like a#%%$!@+ bomb exploded. When the Knicks are good there are no better fans in the world, and they still stay loyal for the most part like we have this #%%$!@+decade.

Back
Top Bottom