What makes Madison Square Garden so special?

imageimagethats the $%!@ im talking about. Sooo ignorant. What you trying to say? San Antonio is basketballs city?

Would San Antonio cheer for opposing players lighting their team up?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

imageimagethats the $%!@ im talking about. Sooo ignorant. What you trying to say? San Antonio is basketballs city?

Would San Antonio cheer for opposing players lighting their team up?
OK that argument is dumb also.

Lakers have historically been the best team this decade, Lakers play at the Garden once a year, NYC is the biggest city in the US probably and alot of people=allot of Lakers fans. So obviously there are alot of Lakers fans at the game during their lone Garden visit.

Take it from someone who watched the game Lakers fans were trying that **## all night but Knicks fans would purposely out do them so they werent reallyevident, at the end life was taken out of Knicks fans and all that could really be heard was Lakers fans cheering on their hero. Give me a @!%%+!+ break.

During the 1990s pretty much every city BUT NY gave Jordan love when he played there... and MJ was from NY. Personally i still dont like MJ at all, i cant as aKnicks fan.

I mean when the Nets were making finals runs and the Knicks sucked hard you would go to a Nets game at Continental and there would STILL be more Knicks fansoutnumbering the Nets fans at the stadium leading to alot of Knicks chants and **##. But just cause the Nets were a better team does that make New Jersey andContinental Airlines Arena, more special basketballwise than MSG and NY?

haters yo
smh.gif

EDIT: i was at the Knics/Cavs game and trust me there were NO Knicks fans cheering for Bron.

NO Knicks fans cheered Kobe or Bron.

Can the Knicks and their fans help in bandwagon fans get in their building?

Originally Posted by allen3xis

NO Knicks fans cheered Kobe or Bron.

Can the Knicks and their fans help in bandwagon fans get in their building?

Word yo thats what ive been saying. They bought tickets for the game. Its not like we can kick them out of the game. Throughout the whole game the Knicks fansoutdid the Lkers MVP chants but at the end you really dont wanna cheer when your team is down 18 and Kobe is STILL out there torching you, therefore that wasthe only part of the game the MVP chants were noticeable.

Wasn't that special when I went. Y'all lost by 30 to the Spurs
roll.gif
smh.gif
WOWW this same argument is sooo *%%$$$! dumb. ITS NOTABOUT THE KNICKS.

Anybody will tell you that MSG and NY= basketball. Even MJ who has killed us NUMERUS times will tell you NY=Basketball

It's really not even all the Knicks...

Friday night in the BET, is my favorite night in Basketball every year, by far.

i'm not saying MSG doesn't have history or anything.

i'm just saying that an accomplishment by a team or player in MSG isn't anything "special", because the team they were playing sucks.

Its a venue where a lot of historic events occurred, not just basketball.

Plus NYC lives and breathes its basketball, the court is like a stage with the dimmed lights.

is that a joke? or are you talking about the same crowd who cheered for another player lighting their team's %%% up?

They only cheered for Kobe because they appreciated something that never occurred before. Its not like they cheered him when it was a close ball game, when thegame got out of hand in the 4th and become a blowout, that's when they cheered for him and appreciated the performance. The MVP chants I can do withoutthough, but there were a lot of fake Lakers fans.

I was just thinking about this the other day, I think it was after hearing Mark Jackson hype it up during a Knicks game.

But, my guess is because it's in NY, and people from NY always think they have or are the best at everything, and some of the time rightfully so.

But, it just seems weird because Kobe's 61 got as much hype than his 81, because it was in the garden.

Originally Posted by C5A5D5A5

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by holdupstop23

The crowd.

and if it were solely about the crowd then the mecca of basketball lies in Durham, North Carolina.

man please....**** with that dumb %%@ logic. 90% of people in that building are strictly north carolina students screaming their guts out for their school. People go to msg for the show. All of the first timers, tourists, fans of other teams. It's dumb to think that the people that attend knick games are there game after game.

28mptfl.gif

Michael Jordan in the mid 90s once called it the Mecca of Basketball, MSG is probably the oldest NBA stadium left.............During MJ's return from hisfirst retirement where he scored 55, more than 250 news media/ agencies from around the world were there to broadcast and televise the game.....It was the gamein MSG with the biggest hype, bigger than any of his playoff games in NYC. It was like the Emmys and Oscars combined and then some. Everybody in the world justwanted to see Mike light it up at the grandest basketball spotlight in the planet. I have an article on the entire event, the game itself, and the hype thatsurrounded it.

The place seems to bring out the best out of NBA stars like MJ, Reggie, Kobe, and Lebron. We'll definitely see more great performances from both Kobe andLebron. Lebron will get more chances having big games at MSG considering he's in the Eastern Conference and if the Cavs and Knicks meet in the playoffs,unlike Kobe and Lakers in which they only play there once a year. MJ and the Bulls probably played at MSG, playoffs included, maybe 30 games. MJ had a lot ofmemorable games, me personally I like when he went Retro on his final game there as a Bull. Too many amazing shots. MJ was at his finest, made the whole gameNostalgic, and getting a Standing Ovation from the crowd. Then you have Reggie's 2 3-pointers in a 5 second span to choke the knicks (8 points in the last18 seconds of the game and when they were down by 6 prior to that).

And there something about the arena compared to other arenas, like how the outer section and upper seatings are dark and gloomy, and only the lighted area isthe game floor itself (I've never been to MSG, but that's how it looks in pics). Kinda like being in a theater where the spotlight is only directed onstage, where the drama and action happens. Most arenas and stadiums are lighted up throughout. Madison Square Garden, is just a special place where Legendsshowcase their greatness. Kobe's 61 and Lebron's near Triple Double wont be their last great performances at the Garden. Maybe something bigger.

TNT interviewed Kobe about this after 61 and he pretty much said it's because it's the last old school building, filled with history.

Originally Posted by JD617

The crowd.

and if it were solely about the crowd then the mecca of basketball lies in Durham, North Carolina.

man please....**** with that dumb %%@ logic. 90% of people in that building are strictly north carolina students screaming their guts out for their school. People go to msg for the show. All of the first timers, tourists, fans of other teams. It's dumb to think that the people that attend knick games are there game after game.

28mptfl.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
i'm slow.

but that makes his argument even more flabergasting.

Originally Posted by JD617

The crowd.

28mptfl.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
i'm slow.

but that makes his argument even more flabergasting.

wow, you still dont get it.....

^^^^i'm pretty aware of the fact that durham = duke......unless your trying to make an argument against msg..please don't adress me, again.

^^^^i'm pretty aware of the fact that durham = duke......unless your trying to make an argument against msg..please don't adress me, again.
ok just making sure. You really werent talking like you knew

Absolutely nothing.

No real tradition of winning, or history really.

Somewhere along the line some group decided that just because it was the main arena in new york, that it was the 'mecca of basketball'.

There is absolutely nothing to support such a preposterous claim.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom