What is your TOP 10 Hip Hop artists of all time?!

So many shenanigans in this thread...

The lack of Pun, Black Thought, and Common in so many posts. :rolleyes And come on, I like K. Dot as much as the next rap fan, but top 10 already? Expand your library if you think that.

Props to someone mentioning The Coup. Not in my top 10 but never get enough respect.

No Order

Em
Pun
Common
Black Thought
Nas
Jay
Biggie
Pac
Rakim
Outkast

HM:
Wu
Most Def
Redman
Royce
AZ
Lupe
Joe Budden - more of a personal favorite

So many shenanigans in this thread...

The lack of Pun, Black Thought, and Common in so many posts.
eyes.gif
And come on, I like K. Dot as much as the next rap fan, but top 10 already? Expand your library if you think that.

Props to someone mentioning The Coup. Not in my top 10 but never get enough respect.

No Order

Em
Pun
Common
Black Thought
Nas
Jay
Biggie
Pac
Rakim
Outkast

HM:
Wu
Most Def
Redman
Royce
AZ
Lupe
Joe Budden - more of a personal favorite
In terms of overall talent, I got Nas at #1. If we're talkin' favorites, I got K. Dot at #1. Problem?

In terms of overall talent, I got Nas at #1. If we're talkin' favorites, I got K. Dot at #1. Problem?
Do you man. That's your favorite, then that's your favorite. Can I ask a question, jokes aside, how old are you? When did you start listening to hip hop?

I'm just saying, the guys has a handful of mixtapes and one official album out and he's your favorite of all time? 
eek.gif
 To each their own I guess...

Do you man. That's your favorite, then that's your favorite. Can I ask a question, jokes aside, how old are you? When did you start listening to hip hop?

I'm just saying, the guys has a handful of mixtapes and one official album out and he's your favorite of all time? 
eek.gif
 To each their own I guess...
I'm only nineteen sixteen but my mind is older. On the real though, my knowledge of hip-hop's comparable to a mathematician's knowledge regarding numbers dammit. Trust me, I know WAAAAAAAY more about hip-hop than you'll ever know. Not tryna bring you down in any way. That's just a fact. And Kendrick's actually got a bigger discography than you seem to think. Dude's got two albums counting Section.80, which was technically a digital album, 6 mixtapes (counting the Kendrick Lamar EP), well over 100 unreleased tracks, and has made close to 100 guest appearances. Biggie had TWO studio albums mind you. Ever heard of him? Dude's widely considered the GOAT. I also noticed you had Big Pun in your top 10. He had ONE studio album. Black Thought made a number of classics with The Roots but how many solo albums has he dropped? ZERO. Way to contradict yourself genius. And if you still think that I need to "expand [my] library" for liking K. Dot, you may need to check yo self 'cause I got damn near 1,000 hip-hop albums in my iTunes library alone. On the other hand, I can easily name close to a hundred artists off the dome that you prolly ain't ever heard of. I know that type of **** sounds mad braggy but don't go judgin' dudes' knowledge of hip-hop when you clearly don't know what the **** you're talkin' about.

Last edited:
:lol: Goddamn. Bruh went in.

Made some good points, although I have to say, a good amount of Kendrick's guest features are weak. People only talk about the hot ones, but he has a lot of songs with random artists where he's spitting weak throwaway sounding verses.

cmon son ima kdot stan, but give respect da ogs. also big pun is a legend. if you aint gonna say anything good bout him dont say nothing at all. same can be said bout big. does it really matter da quantity dey can drop 1 tape and be considered da best, just from one tape. ala illmatic. its bout da impact.

Last edited:
I'm only nineteen sixteen but my mind is older. On the real though, my knowledge of hip-hop's comparable to a mathematician's knowledge regarding numbers dammit. Trust me, I know WAAAAAAAY more about hip-hop than you'll ever know. Not tryna bring you down in any way. That's just a fact. And Kendrick's actually got a bigger discography than you seem to think. Dude's got two albums counting Section.80, which was technically a digital album, 6 mixtapes (counting the Kendrick Lamar EP), well over 100 unreleased tracks, and has made close to 100 guest appearances. Biggie had TWO studio albums mind you. Ever heard of him? Dude's widely considered the GOAT. I also noticed you had Big Pun in your top 10. He had ONE studio album. Black Thought made a number of classics with The Roots but how many solo albums has he dropped? ZERO. Way to contradict yourself genius. And if you still think that I need to "expand [my] library" for liking K. Dot, you may need to check yo self 'cause I got damn near 1,000 hip-hop albums in my iTunes library alone. On the other hand, I can easily name close to a hundred artists off the dome that you prolly ain't ever heard of. I know that type of **** sounds mad braggy but don't go judgin' dudes' knowledge of hip-hop when you clearly don't know what the **** you're talkin' about.
Pun had 1 studio album? Okay you sure showed your knowledge with that one. And Pun's features >>>>>> K.Dot's features so those 100 features count for very little.

Ready to Die and LAD >>> anything Kendrick has dropped.

We all know who people listen to the Roots for. You're going to deny him as an MC because he doesn't have solo album? Okay.

You are a child, and it shows in the tone of your response. You're clearly easily rattled and feel the need to prove yourself on an internet forum board because someone disagrees with your opinion. You saying you're only sixteen but your mind is older is the response of a child. No need to justify that to yourself if thats what you truly feel. I've taught kids older than you little man. And your claim of knowing more about hip hop than I'll ever know is merely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, since you clearly "don't go judgin' dudes' knowledge of hip-hop". 

And my god 1,000 albums and artist I couldn't name....
embarassed.gif
 Who are you? Premo 55 reincarnated? 
roll.gif

I said, "do you" and "to each their own". I didn't want to sound like an *******, but you wanted to act up. No go sit down. Kids these days...
mean.gif

Last edited:
laugh.gif
Goddamn. Bruh went in.

Made some good points, although I have to say, a good amount of Kendrick's guest features are weak. People only talk about the hot ones, but he has a lot of songs with random artists where he's spitting weak throwaway sounding verses.
That's actually pretty true.

cmon son ima kdot stan, but give respect da ogs. also big pun is a legend. if you aint gonna say anything good bout him dont say nothing at all. same can be said bout big.
I wasn't rippin' any artists. I got mad respect for Pun and Biggie's the ****. You clearly misread.
does it really matter da quantity dey can drop 1 tape and be considered da best, just from one tape. ala illmatic. its bout da impact.
Again you misread. What you just said was my point EXACTLY... 
mean.gif

Pun had 1 studio album? Okay you sure showed your knowledge with that one.
Um... Yeah... He had 1 studio album (I consider it a classic mind you). Posthumous albums don't count. You sure you know who Big Pun is? 
mean.gif

And Pun's features >>>>>> K.Dot's features so those 100 features count for very little.
Dude didn't even break 20 features... That's beside the point though. As dope as damn near every one his features were, I think if you took his top 3 and matched 'em up with K. Dot's, K. Dot would edge him out. And while K. Dot has a greater number of dope features, he also has a greater amount of wack ones... which is an expected result when you have about 80 more. Just my opinion though.
Originally Posted by Rndom Grenadez  

Ready to Die and LAD >>> anything Kendrick has dropped.
Both are up there with my favorite all-time albums but I gotta go with GKMC. ****'s literally a movie in the form of music. If I go track for track, I MIGHT take both Biggie's albums. But as an overall album, GKMC with ease. If that makes any sense. You can't fully appreciate the album until you listen to each track consecutively. You ain't just gonna pick and choose each scene you wanna watch in a movie. You gotta watch that **** from start to finish to know what the ****'s goin' on. Same rule applies to this album.
We all know who people listen to the Roots for. You're going to deny him as an MC because he doesn't have solo album? Okay.
Y'all actin' like I'm hatin' on the artists I listed. I got MAD respect for Biggie, Black Thought, and Pun. And I'd like you to list where in my comment I "[denied] him as an artist." I actually complimented the dude. He was the forefront of one of the greatest all-time groups in music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rndom Grenadez  

You are a child, and it shows in the tone of your response. You're clearly easily rattled and feel the need to prove yourself on an internet forum board because someone disagrees with your opinion.

You don't know **** about hip-hop, and it shows in your lack of knowledge regarding hip-hop. You clearly have nothing better to do and feel the need to prove yourself to someone who's prolly less than half your age 'cause he made you look wack on a damn internet forum.

Quote:

You saying you're only sixteen but your mind is older is the response of a child.

Never heard of Mobb Deep? Yet another reason your knowledge of hip-hop is nearly non-existent.

Quote:

No need to justify that to yourself if thats what you truly feel. I've taught kids older than you little man.

Congratulations. Am I supposed to be impressed?

Quote:

And your claim of knowing more about hip hop than I'll ever know is merely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, since you clearly "don't go judgin' dudes' knowledge of hip-hop".

No, me knowing more about hip-hop is merely a case of you not knowing **** about it and me knowing a lot.

Quote:

embarassed.gif

laugh.gif

If it weren't for that reading disability, you may have noticed the fact that I ACTUALLY said "close to a hundred artists." The 1,000 albums was a reference to the amount of music I have in my iTunes library. Don't know how I could've made that any clearer. I do find it very hard to believe that you're a teacher though. You seem less than qualified to teach anything at this point.

Quote:

roll.gif

mean.gif

WEAK.

Quote:

I said, "do you" and "to each their own". I didn't want to sound like an *******, but you wanted to act up. No go sit down. Kids these days...
mean.gif

I am sitting... Who the **** would type at a computer from a standing position? Dip****s these days...

Last edited:
Um... Yeah... He had 1 studio album (I consider it a classic mind you). Posthumous albums don't count. You sure you know who Big Pun is? 
mean.gif

Dude didn't even break 20 features... That's beside the point though. As dope as damn near every one his features were, I think if you took his top 3 and matched 'em up with K. Dot's, K. Dot would edge him out. And while K. Dot has a greater number of dope features, he also has a greater amount of wack ones... which is an expected result when you have about 80 more. Just my opinion though.

Both are up there with my favorite all-time albums but I gotta go with GKMC. ****'s literally a movie in the form of music. If I go track for track, I MIGHT take both Biggie's albums. But as an overall album, GKMC with ease. If that makes any sense. You can't fully appreciate the album until you listen to each track consecutively. You ain't just gonna pick and choose each scene you wanna watch in a movie. You gotta watch that **** from start to finish to know what the ****'s goin' on. Same rule applies to this album.

Y'all actin' like I'm hatin' on the artists I listed. I got MAD respect for Biggie, Black Thought, and Pun. And I'd like you to list where in my comment I "[denied] him as an artist." I actually complimented the dude. He was the forefront of one of the greatest all-time groups in music.

Quote:

You are a child, and it shows in the tone of your response. You're clearly easily rattled and feel the need to prove yourself on an internet forum board because someone disagrees with your opinion.

You don't know **** about hip-hop, and it shows in your lack of knowledge regarding hip-hop. You clearly have nothing better to do and feel the need to prove yourself to someone who's prolly less than half your age 'cause he made you look wack on a damn internet forum.

Quote:

You saying you're only sixteen but your mind is older is the response of a child.

Never heard of Mobb Deep? Yet another reason your knowledge of hip-hop is nearly non-existent.

Quote:

No need to justify that to yourself if thats what you truly feel. I've taught kids older than you little man.

Congratulations. Am I supposed to be impressed?

Quote:

And your claim of knowing more about hip hop than I'll ever know is merely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, since you clearly "don't go judgin' dudes' knowledge of hip-hop".

No, me knowing more about hip-hop is merely a case of you not knowing **** about it and me knowing a lot.

Quote:

embarassed.gif

laugh.gif

If it weren't for that reading disability, you may have noticed the fact that I ACTUALLY said "close to a hundred artists." The 1,000 albums was a reference to the amount of music I have in my iTunes library. Don't know how I could've made that any clearer. I do find it very hard to believe that you're a teacher though. You seem less than qualified to teach anything at this point.

Quote:

roll.gif

mean.gif

WEAK.

Quote:

mean.gif

I am sitting... Who the **** would type at a computer from a standing position? Dip****s these days...
So because Yeeeah Baby came out in April 2000 that means it doesn't count as a studio album because of the fact that he died in February? You're reaching with that one.

Again I'm curious as to how you feel you can claim I know nothing about hip hop. It's laughable. So basically nothing factual apart from the fact that I didn't catch a mobb deep reference....ok I thought so. Congrats you can quote Shook Ones. 

"And my god 1,000 albums and artist I couldn't name....
embarassed.gif
" The adjective 1000 is modifying albums, not artist. Clearly your comprehension is weak as well.

You can keep trying if you want....

J Dilla

Pharrell

Common < My Fav

Yasiin Bey

Chuck D

Kanye West

Q Tip

9th Wonder

Nas

The Roots  < MY Top

1. lil b
2. tyler the creator
3. kid cudi
4. n.e.r.d
5. pharrell
6. daft punk
7. toro y moi
8. hodgy beats
9. action bronson
10. wiz khalifa (older wiz)

NERD and pharrell are kind of the same thing

Other then that, I understand your list, but I also see why FLAsurfing is laughing..

Hoggy lil b  tyler? <<<Most people will think your joking...

Your whole list is pretty much new age, so you're probably young..

Edit: What sea manup said.. lol

Last edited:
So because Yeeeah Baby came out in April 2000 that means it doesn't count as a studio album because of the fact that he died in February? You're reaching with that one.
It is technically a posthumous album... Regardless that's just as many albums as K. Dot. So your argument's still completely invalid.

Quote:

Again I'm curious as to how you feel you can claim I know nothing about hip hop. It's laughable.

Says the man who judges an artist's skill based on the length of their discography. Your knowledge of hip-hop's laughable. You criticized Kendrick due to the length of his discography when in fact nearly half the artists in your top 10 have equal, if not shorter discographies. You tried making the dumbest argument possible, then you actually managed to contradict it in an attempt to defend it. So maybe this doesn't reflect your knowledge regarding hip-hop but your lack of knowledge in general rather?

Quote:

So basically nothing factual apart from the fact that I didn't catch a mobb deep reference....ok I thought so. Congrats you can quote Shook Ones.

Doesn't catch one of the more memorable lines in hip-hop... Still thinks he knows hip-hop. 
roll.gif

Quote:

"And my god 1,000 albums and artist I couldn't name....
embarassed.gif
" The adjective 1000 is modifying albums, not artist. Clearly your comprehension is weak as well.

My 1,000 albums were in no way, shape, or form linked to things you couldn't name. I said I could list a hundred ARTISTS (and only ARTISTS) you couldn't name. My albums had absolutely nothing to do with that statement. You can twist it any way you want, you still come out a complete ******g moron. Quit tryna project your lack of comprehension skills onto me.

Quote:

You can keep trying if you want....

No, no, no. You need to try harder. You're diggin' yourself deeper with every moronic statement you make. At this point I'm feeling bad for your students. Their level of intellect must be cut in half after taking your course.

annoying kids dese days. just listen to da music and stop bragging bout how you know more bout hip hop den someone else. 
also from my beleives your opinion's are irrelevent. you didnt witness first hand of living in da era of what many artist people are posting. so i know why you are trying to put down some older artist by comparing dem to da ones now. my 2 cents. 

Back
Top Bottom