Weekly Wrestling Thread Oct 12-18 | 10/18 TNA Bound For Glory - Sting vs AJ Styles, Joe vs Lashley

^@ The trade, All part of this freshing up thing they're trying to do.

Melina feuds with Maryse on RAW. Beth, Mickie, McCool on SD. They should put the strap on Natalya over there, she's better than 90% of them broads.

That Angle/Nash movie looks epic.

sorry, but i tuned in late tonight (as always
smh.gif
)

what happened with jerishow?

I dunno 4w, I kind of see it like boxing. It will have its ups and downs. I see all these people "mmaing" now. It seriously seems like the new fad tosay you train and wear the $80 tshirts with skulls. I can agree with your point that since it is a sport, it has a longer shelf life, but I also think thatwhile it will stick around, its level of interest will severly diminish within a few years.

Originally Posted by mjmoney23

I dunno 4w, I kind of see it like boxing. It will have its ups and downs. I see all these people "mmaing" now. It seriously seems like the new fad to say you train and wear the $80 tshirts with skulls. I can agree with your point that since it is a sport, it has a longer shelf life, but I also think that while it will stick around, its level of interest will severly diminish within a few years.
I love boxing, but...

1) There are so many weight divisions it makes it confusing as to who faces who.
2) There are way too many titles, essentially making the titles meaningless.
3) So many "big time fights" turn out to be duds.
4) When you buy a PPV, you are basically buying one fight. You never get multiple big fights on a single show.
5) You miss out on so many megafights because promoters/fighters cannot come to agreements.

These are all major areas UFC/MMA is far superior to boxing. With the exception of Fedor (and maybe a few others), UFC has every major name and can have themfight at anytime they choose.

^^^ Good points about boxing, add the lack of a dominant heavyweight(s) to that list. Lennox was the last big name, the HW division hasnt had a big name sincehe retired. As for sports as fads, look at the NBA. It will NEVER hit that level it was when we were growing up in the 90s. This does make me sad in a way,since I prefer it over any other leauge. Even baseball is not as hot as it was (outside of NY, BOS, CHI, and a few other markets). Hockey has come and gone,though you can argue it hasnt been relevant as a top sport in decades.

With the stipulation that John Cena will have to leave Raw if he cannot defeat Randy Orton at Bragging Rights, next Monday's Raw could conceivably be Cena's last. Orton and guest host Snoop Dogg put their heads together to book Cena vs. Triple H as the main event of next week's show. Cena and Triple H faced each other at the main event of WrestleMania 22.

It was announced on Monday's WWE Raw that the main event of "ECW on Syfy" will be ECW Champion Christian teaming with Yoshi Tatsu to face William Regal and Zack Ryder.

This Friday's WWE Smackdown will feature Rey Mysterio vs. Batista in the main event. Besides being good friends, they are former WWE Tag Team Champions.

Wasn't the WWE/WWF all over TV and had a bunch of ads during the TV-14 days?

I was pretty young during that time and all my friends knew about everything. We'll see how long it lasts. It'll never be the same though

Smackdown TV Taping Report
October 13, 2009
Lexington, Ky.

Spoiler [+]
Smackdown TV taping results for Friday's show

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table] Jim Ross was not here. Michael Cole subbed on commentary. Kane becomes co-captain on team Smackdown with Chris Jericho.

(1) Dolph Ziggler beat Mike Knox and Finlay in a Bragging Rights qualifying match.

(2) Cryme Tyme (Shad Gaspard & JTG) beat the Hart Dynasty (Tyson Kidd & D.H. Smith) to qualify for the Bragging Rights tag match.

The final Bragging Rights match will be a divas Raw vs. Smackdown match.

(3) Eric Escobar beat Matt Hardy to qualify for Team Smackdown at Bragging Rights.

The Dirt Sheet was presented with John Morrison and The Miz. Great intensity. A must-watch segment.

(4) Drew McIntyre beat R-Truth for the final spot in the tag match at Bragging Rights.

Next week, Undertaker will face C.M. Punk in a World Title submission match.

(5) Rey Mysterio beat Batista.

Overall great show.

Post-taping Dark Match: World Hvt. champion The Undertaker beat C.M. Punk.

laugh.gif
@ 4w stonefacing the kid.

My bad y'all, I forgot about N&N.
embarassed.gif

News & Notes

Lou Albano has passed away.

Professional wrestler and pop culture icon Captain Lou Albano has died in New York. He was 76.

Wrestlers Rescue founder Dawn Marie says Albano died Wednesday of natural causes.

Alongside Hulk Hogan and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Albano helped bring wrestling to national prominence.

But it was a star turn as Cyndi Lauper's father in the singer's 1983 music video for "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" that catapulted him to pop icon status.

Wrestlers Rescue helped raise funds for Albano's care after he was placed in hospice care.

An outsized personality, Albano had a taste for Hawaiian shirts and rubber bands hung from his cheek.

His sports career spanned nearly five decades.

This week's RAW rating.

Last night's episode of Monday Night Raw drew a 3.35 cable rating, which is slightly up from last week's 3.30 number. The show drew 4.79 million viewers overall compared to 4.71 million viewers last week. Raw lost viewers as the show went on, dropping from a 3.4 to a 3.3 during the second hour.

More on Booker T and Umaga's return to the WWE.

- Booker T and Umaga are likely to return to the WWE by the end of the year, if not sooner. Look for Booker to get the "Christian treatment" and start off on ECW for his return. Umaga has reportedly "made nice" with WWE officials on his past drug issues, but they still want to see him clean and off the payroll for a little bit yet so if there is a relapse, it's not negative press for WWE.

New feuds after Bragging Rights.

- The writing team is in a "holding pattern" until after Bragging Rights. They have a pretty good idea of where they want to go with things after the pay-per-view, which at this point is basically all new feuds across the board.

Booking plan for Bragging Rights changed before RAW.

- The booking plan for the Bragging Rights PPV changed the night before Raw, which is why the continuity of the original announcement of the PPV isn't there. The original plan was for all the winners from each match to be in the multi-man tag main event, but there were concerns about overkill from all the superstars working twice - hence the change to the straight up 7-man tag team main event and "rushed" booking to fill out the card.

Possible plans for DX and Triple H heel turn.

- It looks like they will eventually put over DeGeneration X for the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship and have Triple H and Shawn Michaels work both shows, possibly against Hart Dynasty on SmackDown for Survivor Series. The only thing that would really hold this back is Michaels' lack of desire to work on Tuesday nights due to religious commitments. The Triple H turn on Michaels down the line is still being carefully scripted, with Michaels being the one to take pins and Hunter making the saves during the Legacy feud.

Details on the Divas trade and why it was made.

- The Divas trade had been in the works for a few weeks, especially after the constant flubs week in and week out with the current rosters. The Raw side now has the more green workers and the division will be more "simplistic" while the SmackDown side now has the more seasoned workers for more of an in-ring focus, instead of mixing the types together.

Mick Foley criticized for changing a finish.

According to a source, Mick Foley was the subject of some criticism following the TNA iMPACT! TV tapings last week in Orlando as Foley was reportedly lobbying to change the finish of the iMPACT! main event that aired last Thursday on Spike TV.

The original finish was for Foley to take the pin in a tag match teaming with Kurt Angle against Matt Morgan and Abyss. Foley was able to successfully change the finish where he would call for Dr. Stevie and Daffney to replace him and Angle mid-match. The company went with this finish at the Monday night taping, but it was said to have bombed badly in front of the live crowd.

TNA officials made a decision to reshoot the match at the Tuesday night taping using the original finish with Foley taking the pinfall from Matt Morgan, which is the version that ended up airing on TV. As reported on earlier, there was also an issue with Booker T at the same tapings in also taking a pinfall loss to Morgan, but Booker was said to have caused more issues. We're told Foley didn't make a big deal about the reshoot on Tuesday, although one TNA source felt Foley was trying to avoid taking the pinfall adding, "He's crafty. He knows how to hide behind that nice guy image."

Dolph Ziggler speaks on his drug suspension.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-- In an interview with The Herald-Dispatch, Dolph Ziggler finally breaks his silence on his 30-day suspension last year for his first violation of WWE's drug testing policy. "That was a worse case scenario," Ziggler admitted. "Be careful what you get into and who you are associated with. It can easily be taken away. I had month to think it over. I said I won't make that mistake again." Ziggler says getting a championship belt around his waist is one of many goals he has. "I get a tryout, a contract, a callup, a win," he said. "The Intercontinental Championship is the goal now. I want to become the best IC champion ever and move on." Considering he's only 29 years old, he feels he has a bright future ahead of him. "A lot of guys are in their mid-30s," he said. "I need to get more solid. In the future I look to be one of the leaders in the locker room."[/font]

Jim Cornette interview; his opinion of TNA, thoughts on Vince Russo and more.

Alex Marvez has a new interview online with Jim Cornette. For anyone that thinks it's just us Internet guys that criticize Vince Russo and the TNA booking, check out what Cornette had to say. Below are the highlights:

Working for Ring of Honor:

"I'm not just trumpeting my latest job, but Ring of Honor is always one of the companies I've loved and pulled for,"

"They do a better job with what they have than anybody else. They're a wrestling company run by wrestling people. They're not trying to beat (World Wrestling Entertainment). They just want to carve their own niche.

His opinion of TNA:

"At TNA, I was basically tired of working for a big company and watch it get smaller. I wanted to go to a smaller company and help it get bigger."

"It was sad, disappointing and depressing to watch,"

Thoughts on Vince Russo:

"We didn't have as many pay-per-view buys as we should and nobody was getting over (i.e., becoming popular with the fans). He's the only booker [referring to Vince Russo] I've ever seen who gets people under."

"The matches are made meaningless so Russo can see his comedic lines and dramatic scripting spring to life,"

"There's a bunch of great athletes, but they're not very good actors. They're even worse comedians."

Click here to read the full interview.

RVD leaning to joining TNA?

-- Reader "Lee" sent in word that he called RVD's Internet radio show the other night to discuss the main topic of the show, which was whether RVD should return to WWE or go to TNA. When he called in, the person who was screening the calls asked whether he thinks RVD should go to WWE or TNA. When he said WWE, the screener responded, "Ok, well I will put you through anyway". Lee got the strong impression that they were trying to get more TNA callers and push the possibility of RVD going to TNA. Van Dam mentioned during the show that going to TNA would put him closer to his parents, who live in Florida.

HHH high on Drew McIntyre.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-- Sources say that Triple H is quite high on Drew McIntyre and is one of the driving forces behind the young wrestler's current push. Vince McMahon has also singled McIntyre out as somebody he sees to have great potential.[/font]

Backstage incident with R-Truth over "DX" vest.
alien.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-- Speaking of Drew McIntyre, there was a minor backstage issue with his Hell in a Cell opponent R-Truth at last week's pay-per-view. R-Truth was preparing to go out to the ring when a WWE producer told him to remove the camouflage vest he was wearing because that's now DX's thing. He approached Stephanie McMahon about the issue, who said that he should probably discuss the issue with Triple H. At that point, R-Truth decided to take the vest off and head to the ring for his match without it.[/font]

Mickie James and WWE frustrated at each other.

World Wrestling Entertainment officials are said to be down on former Divas champion Mickie James. According to sources, her recent weight gain and work rate are the main problems. While she's arguably still very attractive and in great shape, she's held to a very high standard as a WWE diva. She has put on some weight (mostly visible in her abs & lower body) and it hasn't gone unnoticed. Additionally, the quality of her matches have been sliding and she is no longer seen as the "reliable hand" that she once was. There have been various Internet reports this week that James is frustrated with the way she's been booked as of late.

-There is talk that Mickie James has been frustrated with her position in World Wrestling Entertainment. Though specific details were not specified, it's being said that she has been unhappy the past few months.

More on The Beautiful People.

As reported earlier, third generation wrestler Lacey Von Erich was hired to replace Angelina Love in "The Beautiful People" faction. The move is considered to be puzzling in a sense that Von Erich isn't known for her in-ring capabilities, whereas Love was considered the best worker of the group. During her brief time under contract to World Wrestling Entertainment, Von Erich developed a reputation in developmental for "being lazy." She was sacked within four months. Of the three present members of "The Beautiful People" - Von Erich, Velvet Sky and Madison Rayne - many feel Rayne is the best worker of the trio. However, they also feel she needs to overcome some confidence issues before she can reach her true potential in the wrestling industry.

WWE's reaction to Maria Menounos on RAW.

WWE officials were said to be very pleased with guest host Maria Menounos' performance on Monday night's episode of Raw, so much so that they would like to book her for future appearances. While WWE would love to have the Greek beauty perform regularly for the company, it appears highly unlikely given her numerous endeavors on television.

Ozzy Osbourne to host RAW.

According to an Associated Press article, Ozzy Osbourne is set to host an upcoming episode of Monday Night Raw. The word going around is that he will appear with his wife Sharon at the November 2nd show in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Andy Samberg will NOT host RAW.

There has been speculation that Saturday Night Live star Andy Samberg would be hosting WWE Raw in two weeks. Samberg's agent Molly Kawachi spoke to Monday Night Mayhem and says the news is false. "Andy is not hosting the WWE event." Let the speculation continue as to who will be leading the charge on October 26th, the night after the WWE Bragging Rights PPV in Pittsburgh, PA." For those wondering where the rumor started, Sandberg himself stated that he was in talks to host RAW during a local radio appearance in Buffalo, NY. Apparently talks fell through.

What JTG stands for.

- JTG did an interview with TriCities to promote the SmackDown/ECW house show over the weekend in Bristol, Tennessee. The piece claims that JTG stands for Just Too Goo. You can read the interview at this link.

Bobby Lashley a victim of theft.

Bobby Lashley has been a victim of theft. Lashley wrote the following on his Twitter page: Btw I had my truck tires stolen this morning. Woke up to seeing my truck on blocks +@! lol guess I'll be tire shopping today lol

He followed it up with: Sorry that was wheels & tires

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Whoever did that is a bathturd.[/color]

Reaction from WWE stars to Divas trade.

On Twitter, a few WWE stars have given their thoughts regarding last night's tri-branded WWE Divas trade - which saw seven Divas change brands. Here are a few comments:

* The Bella Twins on being moved back to Raw: "And yes we're back on RAW! We're very excited! We'll miss ECW!
URL]
Peace Love & Twins! Besos! B&N"

* Eve Torres on being moved to Raw: "Thx for all your comments! Of course, I am going to miss my Blue Crew like crazy, but I'm excited about the opportunity in my new home..."

"That's right!... You can now find me on Monday Night Raw... Goodbye SmackDown! *Tear*"

"I'ma miss my boys @ShadBeast & @JTG1284 ... But something tells me they'll be fine without me! ;-( Who's going to keep Natalya away?"

* JTG's reaction to Eve moving to Raw: "I miss my homegirl already, I miss you @evemarietorres."

* Chris Jericho's reaction to JTG's reaction to Eve leaving SmackDown: "cry me a river bee-yotch..."

* Layla on her friends moving to Raw: Gd morning...workout time! Goodluck to @evemarietorres @thebellatwins I will Miss Ya Lots!!'

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]
URL]
@ Y2J.[/color]

Jeff Hardy cuts his hair?

Former WWE superstar Jeff Hardy has apparently cut his long hair off, according to his brother Matt on Twitter. Who knows if it's even Jeff as Matt has been known to screw with the internet on numerous occasions.

URL]

NY Yankees players to host RAW?

-- WWE officials are looking to have a member of the New York Yankees - likely either Derek Jeter or Johnny Damon - host the November 16, 2009 edition of Monday Night Raw at Madison Square Garden. How the "The Bronx Bombers" do in the playoffs this year, among other factors, will determine whether a deal can be reached. Go Yankees!

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Make it happen, Vince.[/color]
URL]

Damn, RIP, Captain Lou. I will always remember him as one of the illest managers back in the day, and as Mario in the Super Mario Bros. Supershow.

Back
Top Bottom