Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Added a Dbrand skin w/Spigen case.

This blu vivo xl Is a good phone. Worth $150 for sure. Would of been a steal if I caught it at $99 when beat Buy had it. Feels solid in hand. Nice sz screen. Speaker is loud. Louder than my s5. I still want a all metal phone. Mite get blu vivo 5 when it drops

New York's public Wi-Fi hubs now have Android tablets

Share on Facebook (53) Tweet Share (73) Pin (1)
Starting today, New York City's first public Wi-Fi hubs are getting Android tablets, allowing New Yorkers to check their email, make a phone call, or find directions on Google Maps as easily as they once made a call on the public payphones the hubs are replacing. The tablets are going in a dozen-or-more LinkNYC kiosks along Third Avenue between 15th and 42nd streets, and will be included in all the future hubs as they are installed.

In addition to the tablets, the hubs include ports for headphones, so phone calls can be made privately, and USB chargers, so you can charge your phone while chatting online. And since security is an obvious concern, the tablets eventually time-out and the cookies are deleted after a minute of no activity. The tablets are custom-made by Intersection, the technology company that leads a consortium called CityBridge that operates and funds LinkNYC, and have been tested to withstand all types of stress and weather.

ahawkins_160217_0946_0002_A.0.jpg

Colin O'Donnell, Intersection's chief technology officer, said the tablets have been exposed to extremely cold (-4°F) and hot (104°F) temperatures, and testers have crashed cars into the kiosks to ensure they can withstand life on New York's unpredictable streets.

O'Donnell said over time, the tablets will be updated to include new features or technological improvements. And since these hubs are coming online during Mayor Bill de Blasio's administration — the mayor held an event to unveil the new tablets Thursday afternoon — he also stressed their usefulness for such activities as participatory budgeting, in which community members vote how to spend relatively small sums of city money, or learning about local issues or events, like a rock concert or a lost cat. "We're looking into how we can surface that information," O'Donnell said.

There are no time limits for tablet usage, nor are there any ads displayed on the screens — those are reserved for the two 55-inch displays on either side of the kiosks. Once you sign into the Wi-Fi, and save it on your device, you will never have to sign-in again at any of the LinkNYC hubs. O'Donnell said they expected a standard 150-foot range for the Wi-Fi, but were surprised to see over 400-foot ranges at some of the hubs. Still, while ground-floor retails adjacent to the hubs will likely benefit, the higher up you go the weaker the signal becomes. "Interference is always the enemy," he said.

"INTERFERENCE IS ALWAYS THE ENEMY."

I tested the tablet's browsing and voice call capabilities, and found them both to be highly functional. A call to my iPhone from the kiosk carried a 646 area code, and I was able to hear the caller fairly well, even though she wasn't using headphones and the sounds of passing street traffic were loud. Josh Berglund, engineering and program manager for CIVIQ Smartscapes, said the kiosks were designed to identify and filter out ambient sounds over time. Eventually video chat will be an additional feature, but not at this time.

Around 500 hubs are expected to be installed by mid-July. The full network will install more than 7,500 public hubs throughout the city, each replacing a pre-existing phone booth.

ahawkins_160217_0946_0003_A.0.jpg

That sounds like Samaritan from Person of Interest :lol:

Little creepy but nevertheless cool to see.

After sacrificing 2 turtledoves, a goat, and 3 lambs I woke up to my Marshmallow update. Hadn't had time to play with it just yet since I downloaded it this morning and by the time I got to work it was just finishing updating my apps. Eager to see what's what

This blu vivo xl Is a good phone. Worth $150 for sure. Would of been a steal if I caught it at $99 when beat Buy had it. Feels solid in hand. Nice sz screen. Speaker is loud. Louder than my s5. I still want a all metal phone. Mite get blu vivo 5 when it drops

Keep us updated bro, I've been eyeing it since my hopes for the 6P have been gradually diminishing :lol:

please school me yall... i just noticed this now.... but before on my previous htc phones i always had visual voicemail for free on my phone... if someone left a voicemail i would click play on my phone and it would play the message without calling my number to check it... to do this i had google voice downloaded... so now it wont work all of a sudden with the google voice app download...i have to call just to check my voicemail which is kinda lame... im on verizon btw...

please school me yall... i just noticed this now.... but before on my previous htc phones i always had visual voicemail for free on my phone... if someone left a voicemail i would click play on my phone and it would play the message without calling my number to check it... to do this i had google voice downloaded... so now it wont work all of a sudden with the google voice app download...i have to call just to check my voicemail which is kinda lame... im on verizon btw...

I think Google has been trying to integrate all of that into Hangouts. I still have it but it works with Hangouts, no so much w/ GV

Tomorrow should be cool :nthat:

According to the invites each company sent out. The date is the 21st (tomorrow).
West coast: 5am for G5, 10am for S7
East coast: 8am for G5, 1pm for S7

[COLOR=#Red]Happy Samsung day. That IP68 water resistance is going to be a killer feature. Ingress Protection level 6-8 dam near means it's hermetically sealed.[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom