• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hopefully I can pick up an S3 tomorrow for $40 at Walmart or Costco.

Does anyone know if either store accepts in-store trade ins? Tryna get this crappy iPhone 4 off
laugh.gif
Anyone?
don't think wal-mart have in-store trade ins, you'd get more if you sold your iphone 4 on craiglist anyway. they sell for $200-250 on my local CL

Posted my S3 on craigslist for $300 and got $280 for it....

My boy who works for T-Mobile then sold me his Note 2 for $300. :smokin

[h1]'Galaxy S4 Zoom' rumors point to a curious new kind of cameraphone[/h1]

By Alex Dobie   | May 11 2013 | 8:59 am  | 16 COMMENTS

galaxy-camera-lens_0.jpg

[h3]Would Samsung really strap a 10X optical zoom and 16MP sensor to the back of a mid-range smartphone?[/h3]
With the Galaxy S4  launch now mostly over and done with, Samsung  rumormongers have turned their attention to the company's summer and fall product line-up. The most intriguing of these is a device rumored to go by the name 'Galaxy S4 Zoom.' Originally broken by SamMobile, initial reports suggested the 'Zoom' would be a mid-range handset with a 4.3-inch qHD SuperAMOLED screen on the front and a 16-megapixel camera strapped to the back. But that's not even the craziest part.

The plot has thickened in recent days with reports from Russian site Hi-Tech  claiming the Galaxy S4 Zoom will include a 10X optical zoom lens, of the kind found on point-and-shoot cameras. A retail release, it's reported, is scheduled for June or July. A Bluetooth SIG listing for a Samsung 'SM-C1010' has given weight to the rumors, with the device being described as a "Samsung Mobile Phone."

So where might this tie into Samsung's overall mobile strategy? A 16-megapixel backed up by respectable optical zoom capabilities means the Galaxy S4 Zoom could check many of the same boxes as the Galaxy Camera  -- which makes it curious to see it combined with a comparatively low-end display. However, it's possible that Samsung's looking to take what it learned from the Galaxy Camera and apply it to a device with broader mass-market appeal. Creating an affordable mid-range camera/phone hybrid like this might empower it to release a significantly upgraded Galaxy Camera 2 at the high end, with a much-needed improvement in sensor size and optics aimed at the "prosumer" crowd. The Galaxy S4 Zoom, on the other hand, could become the pocket-friendly, budget-friendly device that the original Galaxy Camera never was.

Camera-centric phones (cameraphones, if you will) are nothing new, but they haven't been particularly common since the featurephone days, when manufacturers like Sony Ericsson would bolt bulky, novelty 3MP shooters onto the back of handsets. The trend seems to be returning, though, with recent examples including the Symbian-powered Nokia 808 PureView, which packs a 41-megapixel camera. This year, high-end imaging capabilities are being touted as a point of differentiation at the high end, as other smartphone specs become increasingly homogenous. HTC has its Ultrapixel sensor. Sony is rumored to be working on a new handset with a 20MP sensor backed up by Cybershot optics and software. Even Google wants to make its Nexus devices "insanely awesome cameras."  It's natural that Samsung would also want to explore unique camera capabilities as a point of differentiation. Sticking an optical zoom lens on the back of a smartphone would certainly achieve that, assuming it could be done without making the phone excessively girthy.

We wouldn't read too  much into the 'Galaxy S4' part of the name. Samsung was pretty liberal in its use of the Galaxy S3 name, giving it to devices like the Galaxy S3 Mini which were far removed from the flagship in hardware terms. Samsung likely wants to benefit from the halo effect of the high-profile Galaxy S4 launch, as the 'Galaxy' name on its now applies to a wide range of different Android products. So we're not expecting Galaxy S4-class internals in the Galaxy S4 Zoom, despite the name.

Time will tell whether the Galaxy S4 Zoom will prove to be a mid-range hit, or whether it'll suffer the same fate as other quirky Samsung phones, like the pico-projecting Galaxy Beam. Let us know which way you think things will go down in the comments.

Source: SamMobileHi-Tech (Translated)Bluetooth SIG

Maybe its my picture taking skills but does anyone feel that the S3 camera isn't that good especially when compared to the iPhone?

Maybe its my picture taking skills but does anyone feel that the S3 camera isn't that good especially when compared to the iPhone?

It's not. If you're outdoors they can be even, but the Samsung pics are usually washed out, and the iPhone over saturates pictures making colors look more vibrant and visually appealing. And low light pictures are terrible on the gs3.

I'm back home to Android :pimp:

Copped an S3 for AT&T at Walmart...when you do a Mobile share plan you get a $50 Walmart Card so the phone was virtually free.

Yes the indoor pictures on trash on the S3 but it's a good phone overall.

I like the one way better than the s3 I had before. I was in art playin with s4 and one for like an hour before I made my choice. The one is more smoother than the galaxy it's true.

Seems like the consensus thus far is the One over the S4, would most agree??

I mean after reading more reviews, the S4 doesnt seem as bad as I thought, The only downfalls to the One would be the battery, 32 gb storage is a ton of space. The camera I started seeing more mixed reviews while earlier it seemed to be the better camera.

The thing with the s4 I would say would be more support/ it will more than likely get updates, and way more accessories. Once you turn off all the crappy new features I`m sure that helps with the lag.

I think the One is probably best short term, while if you are the type to keep a device for 2+ years the s4 would probably be the better option.

I would probably choose the S4 over The One. Mostly because it has the best cell phone camera out right now. The One is more consistent speed wise but the lack of removable parts would make it difficult for me to choose it.

I mean after reading more reviews, the S4 doesnt seem as bad as I thought, The only downfalls to the One would be the battery, 32 gb storage is a ton of space. The camera I started seeing more mixed reviews while earlier it seemed to be the better camera.

The thing with the s4 I would say would be more support/ it will more than likely get updates, and way more accessories. Once you turn off all the crappy new features I`m sure that helps with the lag.

I think the One is probably best short term, while if you are the type to keep a device for 2+ years the s4 would probably be the better option.
I took the one back and got the S4, overall i think its better. the back button on the one in a pain, i had to hit it like 3 or 4 times to work. Plus touchwiz is so much better than sense, i hate it.

Does anyone have any howto's on how to theme android phones. Ie uccw, minimalistic text etc?

Just got an HTC One. Its pure :smokin. The build quality, screen, speakers and even sense are great minus blinkfeed. Battery life is excellent. I wasn't sure how I would like sense 5.0 since I came from a GNexus but I actually like it.

Back
Top Bottom