*VIDEO On to the Next One VIDEO* Vol. Weird

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Originally Posted by cartune

I was gonna come back in an explain the lyrics a lil more but naaaaaah. I'm just let ya'll run wild with it
laugh.gif
explain it
laugh.gif
we all in here speculating too only *!%%% who knows is Jay stop acting like you write for the dude
In the mid/late 80's, rappers could'nt afford to buy Gucci and Louis so a harlem taylor named Dapper Dan, would make custom outfits that looked like Gucci for half the price. Like the pieces in that Eric B and Rakim cover Dre posted. All Jay was saying is that he CAN afford Gucci so he don't need Dapper Dan.
It's a lil more than that actually. You know Jay got the double entendre game on lock. "Wear a G on my chest" refers to Gucci but also being a G. Kind of an old hood saying, wearing a g on your chest like how people say you got an S on your chest in reference to superman. The next part of the lyric says "this ain't a sewn outfit". The sewn outfit is in reference to the gucci double entendre and at the same time its another double because he's saying his outfit (slang for a criminal organization) is not sewn it's criminal.

this...and Jay is the monster of the double entendre. im really suprised that this line went over ppls heads.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

I notice there's 4 sides to this

1) People who are ridiculous and thinks this means Jay is the devil
2) People who think Jay isnt dumb and is using this symbolism for a reason (not devil-worshipping related)
3) People who dismiss the whole notion and thinks it's dumb as hell and the people that believe anything Jay says can have a double meaning are ******ed
4) People who don't care either way and just enjoy the music
In a way, I'm all 4.
laugh.gif
ima go with 2)

I was gonna come back in an explain the lyrics a lil more but naaaaaah. I'm just let ya'll run wild with it
laugh.gif
explain it
laugh.gif
we all in here speculating too only *!%%% who knows is Jay stop acting like you write for the dude
In the mid/late 80's, rappers could'nt afford to buy Gucci and Louis so a harlem taylor named Dapper Dan, would make custom outfits that looked like Gucci for half the price. Like the pieces in that Eric B and Rakim cover Dre posted. All Jay was saying is that he CAN afford Gucci so he don't need Dapper Dan.
It's a lil more than that actually. You know Jay got the double entendre game on lock. "Wear a G on my chest" refers to Gucci but also being a G. Kind of an old hood saying, wearing a g on your chest like how people say you got an S on your chest in reference to superman. The next part of the lyric says "this ain't a sewn outfit". The sewn outfit is in reference to the gucci double entendre and at the same time its another double because he's saying his outfit (slang for a criminal organization) is not sewn it's criminal.
I never looked at that line the way you just described.....although it does make sense. I just took it as his *%%* ain't sewn the way Dapper's suits were. Like he had that authentic *%%* and not some joint son sewed together in the back of his shop....but then again this is Jay.
Easy to make that mistake if you don't account for the qualifying line after. "Holmes is about it", as in about this G isht for real.
I'm still not fully convinced. Not saying you're wrong. I just dont see it as anything past the clothing reference. "Wear a G onmy chest" could either mean the brand of his shirt or that it cost him a "G". The word "outfit" really just refers to a group of ppl. Heard that word a lot when I did construction in the late 90's. Unless the word "sewn" has a different meaning? And "homes" is justshort for homeboy ( orale homes).

I still think the lines are staright forward and in reference to his wealth and not needing to buy "custom" pieces when he can afford the real thingbecause he is about it and has the $.

Either way, damn you Rav for making me over analyze these lines.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
explain it
laugh.gif
not really - the "custom" stuff was big because it was just that...custom - it was all drug dealers and players wearing it so itwasn't about the price...GG/LV wasnt making hood inspired clothes so they made it themselves...DD made nike clothes before nike made clothes too...again itwasnt about the price...if anything they were paying more

laugh.gif
explain it
laugh.gif
I never looked at that line the way you just described.....although it does make sense. I just took it as his *%%* ain't sewn the way Dapper's suits were. Like he had that authentic *%%* and not some joint son sewed together in the back of his shop....but then again this is Jay.
Easy to make that mistake if you don't account for the qualifying line after. "Holmes is about it", as in about this G isht for real.
I'm still not fully convinced. Not saying you're wrong. I just dont see it as anything past the clothing reference. "Wear a G on my chest" could either mean the brand of his shirt or that it cost him a "G". The word "outfit" really just refers to a group of ppl. Heard that word a lot when I did construction in the late 90's. Unless the word "sewn" has a different meaning? And "homes" is just short for homeboy ( orale homes).

I still think the lines are staright forward and in reference to his wealth and not needing to buy "custom" pieces when he can afford the real thing because he is about it and has the $.

Either way, damn you Rav for making me over analyze these lines.
laugh.gif

but then he goes on to say "was clappin them flamers before i became famous" furtherin the topic of him being about "it".....it being thatG +#$!.

not really - the "custom" stuff was big because it was just that...custom - it was all drug dealers and players wearing it so it wasn't about the price...GG/LV wasnt making hood inspired clothes so they made it themselves...DD made nike clothes before nike made clothes too...again it wasnt about the price...if anything they were paying more

^Yep. Dapper Dan made stuff for hip-hop artists because the high-end brands like LV, and Gucci weren't making anything that fit their style but they stillliked the logo's and image that came along with the brand. A lot of times he would even go out and purchase real items and remove the monograms and placethem on the new customized items, or so I've heard.

Originally Posted by Kingtre

not really - the "custom" stuff was big because it was just that...custom - it was all drug dealers and players wearing it so it wasn't about the price...GG/LV wasnt making hood inspired clothes so they made it themselves...DD made nike clothes before nike made clothes too...again it wasnt about the price...if anything they were paying more
I get what your saying, but then again up until the mid/late 90's, no one was making "hood inspired" clothing. That's whatseperated us from the rest, we took things that were already on the market and put our spin on it.

I know it was mostly reals G's buying his stuff, but they werent buying the stuff you saw rappers wearing. First and foremost Dan was a taylor, and agood one. "Playas" could walk in there and get pretty much any design in any color of any material from ppl who knew where you were coming from andhow you wanted to look. You could'nt get that at Macy's back then......probably couldn't get it today.

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

So now that we know what that means... Any other lyrical analysis, Ravage?
nerd.gif
Ehh man I ain't got all the answers lol. I've had the Weebay face many times. Somebody up that Jay-Z lyrics thread and we can have somefun with it if u want.

Still spittin' that +%+# that they shot Pac over
The +%+# my mother looked shocked over
Haha Yeah
What a canvas
I'm the group of 7
Migraine, take 2 Excedrin
I'm the one twice over
I'm the new 11

And if I die
I'm do it reppin'
I never do it second
I swear $%##$! be eyeing me all hard

or am I reaching?

"Jay-Z's "On to the Next One" has many people wondering what's the meaning behind the creepy images. The best way to understand theimagery is to understand the occult context in which they are used. This article takes a look at the occult meaning of the symbols found in this video inrelation to Jay-Z's affinities with secret societies."

Follow the link for a thorough analyses of each symbol used in the video.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3073

0712578e03dfb96c1c7bedea49ffec26b2ec100.bmp

Haze answered what I needed to know about the video, we done here now. In the meantime let's take @keys advice if another video pops up from jay-z again.Holla one!
tongue.gif

Yeah I got on flip-flops, white Louis boat shoes/
Yall should grow the #++% up, come here lemme coach you/
Hold up

Navigation on tryin to find my next thrill
I'm feelin myself I don't even need an Ex pill
Can't chill but my neck will
sick.gif

Haters really gon be mad at my next deal

Jay-Z said some of the hardest corporate #%$$ in a minute with this one.. Used to skip this track but been goin back to BP3 recently and #%$$ is flames, wholeCD actually.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

V Exclusive: "On To The Next One" Director Sets The Record Straight
VIBE.COM By: jkennedy Posted 1-13-2010 9:00 am

VIBE-Jay-Z_Next_One_500.jpg

When Jay-Z's "On To The Next One" video premiered New Year's Eve, the black-and-white clip, with its ominous images ofanimal horns, crucifixes, and skulls, sparked a barrage of conspiratorial questions. Was Jigga a Freemason? Was the clip backed by the all-powerful Illuminati?And just how in the hell did Jay get the new Jaguar XJ before it even hit the U.S.? Award-winning UK-based video director Sam Brown, the visionary behind clips for Corinne Bailey Rae ("Put Your Records On"), James Blunt ("You're Beautiful") and the Foo Fighters ("Wheels"), has the answers to all those questions and more. Afterall, the man directed Jay's avant-garde statement. Brown goes on the record. --Keith Murphy

VIBE: When you were first approached about directing Jay-Z's "On To The Next One" did you feel you had to shoot the video differentlyconsidering it was hip-hop?
Sam Brown: It was important to ignore the fact that it was a hip-hop video, and simply make a video. It was going to be radical almost bydefault because the hip-hop video is an oddly conservative genre…it seems more stuck in its message than other types of music videos. But also, I wanted tomake a video that appealed to hip-hop fans.

There's been a lot of talk about Jay's video containing Freemason imagery such as the horned animal head, an eagle and skull. What are yourthoughts about such talk and why do you think music fans are so quick to believe a conspiracy narrative?
I'm aware of the stir the video has caused and what people are saying. I think when you're dealing in abstract imagery people are going to want to drawlines between things and make sense of it. However, I've always felt that the viewing public was, in general, extremely visually literate. They don'talways want or need things to be spelt out for them. One of the great things about music videos are they can be enjoyed purely visually-it doesn't need tomean anything or make any sense. Conspiracy theory is another thing entirely, and seems to me to be about projecting pre-existing beliefs and desperatelylooking for things that confirm them. There is imagery in this video that is drawn from all over the place. None of it is owned by any one culture or beliefsystem. You can connect anything if you try hard enough, and make it mean anything you want it to.

Were there any differences between filming the more low-key likes of the Corinne Bailey Rae and James Blunt and an in-your-face artist likeJay-Z?
I tend to approach all types of artists in the same way. I try not to have preconceived ideas of who an artist is, or what they're going to like. Whoeverthey are it's good to take chances with them, and to ignore what they've done before.

Did Jay come up with the avant-garde treatment for the video? If so, do you think he (or yourself) was aware of the talk that some of the imagerywould ignite?
[To] tell the truth, I wouldn't speak for Jay. I know he really liked the video. He strikes me as a very intelligent and forward-thinking person and I havehuge respect for him and his label for wanting to bring something different. As the man says, he uses his cojones.

VIBE-Next_One_Sam_Brown_images.jpg

Touché. So what was the overall direction Jay was looking for?
He gave me a very loose brief, and made it clear that we should be progressive with the video. All the imagery was thought up by me and was a response to thetrack itself. For those interested, the idea is actually about a funeral for old imagery and ideas, hence all the gothic and oppressive stuff. I was alsotrying to contradict the excess of hip-hop videos by making something brutally simple and claustrophobic.

How were you able get the new Jaguar XJ before its commercial USrelease?
Jay-Z's a very influential man.

You have also done television commercials. Is that how you got your start in the industry?
Actually I started in music videos and moved over into commercials. Budgets were plummeting in videos, and it was becoming very hard to do what I wanted to docreatively. [As for the future], I'm filming two commercials back to back, one in Buenos Aries and one back home. I hope to do another video after that ifI can.

Has "On To The Next One" wet your appetite to direct more hip-hop videos?
Yes, I think so. But there would have to be a reason to do it, I guess. With Jay-Z, there was.

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

Touché. So what was the overall direction Jay was looking for?
He gave me a very loose brief, and made it clear that we should be progressive with the video. All the imagery was thought up by me and was a response to the track itself. For those interested, the idea is actually about a funeral for old imagery and ideas, hence all the gothic and oppressive stuff. I was also trying to contradict the excess of hip-hop videos by making something brutally simple and claustrophobic.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Bottom line....there's mad symbolism in there. The video basically served as a ritual, wrapping up last year and preparing for the new year. Tarot/playing card, burning of objects associated with Jay's finance, The burning ball traveling to Malkuth, 00 on the girls jersey, the joker symbolism. Its real layered and works on a couple different levels. Pretty ingenious stuff in there.
The floor and officers represented Sephiroth, and initiation from 0=0 to 5=6 represented the upward ascent from Malkuth to Tiphareth.
The interpretation can go as far or as shallow as your knowledge base.

But don't get mad at me for informing you of it.

If you don't care about that stuff, thats fine. Neither do I.

Take it how you want to take it.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

ddmdys.jpg

PP31348.jpg

Ace of Spades: One chapter comes to a close, but another begins.

On to the next one...

*Skates out of thread*

2uy0kll.jpg

Back
Top Bottom