*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

this team is stacked and have talent.
really, what is team usa ultimate A-team?

The team is stacked, but this is the C team.

I mean Harrison Barnes, Dj, derozan and Lowry are on the team. No legold, no curry, no Westbrook, no ant Davis, no harden, I mean I can go on and on

Shouldn't be alarmed at the close point differential in these games.

USA doesn't even have their best product on the floor. No Westbrook, No LeBron & No Steph. All top 5 players in the world. I'm not surprised at the other countries challenging USA's "talent".

This is the C squad..Plus add in the fact we don't even practice and the horrible lineups..we're still winning..the world really isn't close.

Lebron
Curry
C.paul
Harden
Ant Davis
K.leonard
B.griffin
R.westbrook
L.Aldridge

The team is stacked, but this is the C team.

I mean Harrison Barnes, Dj, derozan and Lowry are on the team. No legold, no curry, no Westbrook, no ant Davis, no harden, I mean I can go on and on

Exactly.

My biggest problem with this squad is more about what we've been told about the development of Team USA than anything else. Jerry and Coach K have been talking about building a system where even when the top guys don't participate you have a deep talent pool of players that fit a certain role such that we don't get caught in a 2004 situation where tons of players dropped out and you have to cobble together a team of pieces that don't fit together. You can tell by the makeup of this team that you have too many iso guys and not enough distributors or defenders. This team has clear deficiencies that I thought would be mitigated by the system Jerry and K put into place.

This "C team" features:

Arguably the best pg in the league (Kyrie)
2 best natural scorers in the league (Melo/KD)
2nd best shooter in the world (Klay)
Best defensive player in the league (Draymond)
Best offensive center in the league (Cousins)
Best defensive center in the league (Jordan)
2k17 cover boy (Paul George)

you got me on Lowry, Derozan, and Butler. Nothing scintillating there.

Kyrie ain't no damn PG...

And I think there are a few guys in the league with a higher defensive rating than Jordan.

Is Draymond the best defensive player in the league?

This "C team" features:

Arguably the best pg in the league (Kyrie)
2 best natural scorers in the league (Melo/KD)
2nd best shooter in the world (Klay)
Best defensive player in the league (Draymond)
Best offensive center in the league (Cousins)
Best defensive center in the league (Jordan)
2k17 cover boy (Paul George)

you got me on Lowry, Derozan, and Butler. Nothing scintillating there.

Kyrie ain't no damn PG...

And I think there are a few guys in the league with a higher defensive rating than Jordan.

Is Draymond the best defensive player in the league?

Statistically, yes he is.

Last edited:
*^ I mean in all honesty, the system for the most part has worked. The culture is way different than before, where guys did not want to play.

Sorry, man. Maybe I should of said best iso scorer, pick n roll abuser, finishing guard, and ball handler in the league to better describe Kyrie.

I don't consider Draymond the best defender but majority of people do. All people do is rave about how he can guard all 5 positions.

Last edited:
Sorry, man. Maybe I should of said best iso scorer, pick n roll abuser, finishing guard, and ball handler in the league to better describe Kyrie.

I don't consider Draymond the best defender but majority of people do. All people do is rave about how he can guard all 5 positions.
Draymond maybe be 5th best defender and thats pushing it

I don't consider Kyrie a PG...more so an undersized 2. A damn good one.

Bottom line, this team is really flawed. It's no fault of the selection committee as they have a lot of guys who should be on the roster that opted to skip out. It's a great opportunity for guys like Barnes, Butler, Lowry, etc....but let's be real. All-Stars or not, they are not the best we have to offer.

This is def the B- or C team. Look at who's missing

Bron
Curry
Cp3
Westbrook
Blake
Harden
AD
Kawhi

Those are 8 of the best Basketball players in the entire world, ALL from the USA that ARENT playing in the olympics.

Paul George, Derozen, Deandre, Jimmy Butler, Harrison Barnes, Lowry, and Cousins likely wouldn't make the team if the A squad came out. Hell, Dray would be competing for a roster spot.

I imagined the roster shaping out like this:

Starters

PG: Cp3
SG: Curry
SF: KD
PF: Bron
C: AD

Bench:

SG: Westbrook
PF: Melo
SG: Harden
SG: Klay
SF: Kawhi
PG: Kyrie
C: Dwight, Blake, DJ or Dray for the last big spot.

That's the team that would realistically represent our "best".

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the roster is flawed but moreso we don't run an offense and we don't defend very well.

Or maybe I am saying they are flawed

Yeah it's not so much who's on the team..but how there're been used in the lineup..That starting lineup is really bad on defense..if I'm coach K I wouldn't even be worried about offense..most of our players should be able to score on most of these teams..The best defensive lineups should be the focus..it would definitely lead to easy points from the transition game and run outs..that's how you get guys going.

If Kyrie on the floor..so would be Jordan..and maybe Draymond at PF..and if Cousins on the floor I got Lowry at the point..but like I said this team not having a true PF is hurting them..

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the roster is flawed but moreso we don't run an offense and we don't defend very well.

Or maybe I am saying they are flawed

It's how the offense is run. Kyrie passed the ball well today....but he's largely been the one to blame for the offense stalling. He still doesn't understand how to run an offense. During the season, he doesn't have to as he's essentially the secondary ball handler and a Shooting Guard.

Here, he is the primary ball handler and responsible for setting the pace. Not his strength at all.

Dray also losing his talent after the D-pic leaks also has a lot to do with it as well...because he would be a key cog in the offense and defense. He's fumbling simple plays.

Lastly, 3 out of the 5 starters (Kyrie, Melo, Boogie) leave some to be desired as defenders. Boogie has been really bad defensively, and is Foul machine that commits stupid fouls.

That being said, this team will win Gold fairly easily. They'll have some close games...but the talent and continuity is too much for a repeat of '04 to happen.

They aren't 08 or 12...but more than adequate.

Our only offense is a high ball screen. Nothing after that.

Other countries are running multiple ball screens with action going on off the ball. Other countries C's stretch the floor out the 3 pt line whole ours don't.

All that experience we have on the bench and we look like an AAU team

I guess today was France's C Team. No Parker, Fournier, Noah, Seraphin, Mahinmi, Ajinca ...

I'm watching the replay now..and the lineup of

Jordan
Draymond
Durant
Thompson
Lowry

Looks to be the best lineup by far..the cutting was there which open up klay shot..and Draymond play making setup a few Jordan dunks at the rim..and the defense was on point..The Us built a 16 point lead..that would be my base lineup..

Last edited:
At the beginning of the tournament I came in here and said this team wasn't that good and going to struggle after reading how they will blow everyone out and received a couple of
"Who man is this" memes
Now this is the "C" squad?

obviously this roster isnt the nba best but its still a really good team...im not buying that we dont have the best nba roster thats why we are in close games... no thats a bad excuse... our roster right now is far superior to the other teams in the olympics and its not even close... the defense just sucks and the lack of ball movement doesnt help either

This is the C-team but that's not an excuse. 9 allstars on team USA. The rest of the world has 1.

Elite scorers, elite shooters, elite defenders.

Trailing Australia at half, beating Serbia and France(without Parker) by 3 each. Not a good look.

They're still not gonna lose. It's just not the dominance we're accustomed to seeing.

Back
Top Bottom