UPDATE: Got My First Lesson Yesterday

worst part was that ****** 5 hr video "saftey" class NY state forces you to take to get the license...class i went to was some shady @$%* anyway..paid your money sat for about 45min got the 5hr credit...saw about 15min of video that apparently was shot in the 1970s ...then again this was 5yrs agowhen i got my license i dont know if that requirment is still in effect.

Originally Posted by Crumbs

worst part was that ****** 5 hr video "saftey" class NY state forces you to take to get the license...class i went to was some shady @$%* any way..paid your money sat for about 45min got the 5hr credit...saw about 15min of video that apparently was shot in the 1970s ...then again this was 5yrs ago when i got my license i dont know if that requirment is still in effect.

It's still required.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

worst part was that ****** 5 hr video "saftey" class NY state forces you to take to get the license...class i went to was some shady @$%* any way..paid your money sat for about 45min got the 5hr credit...saw about 15min of video that apparently was shot in the 1970s ...then again this was 5yrs ago when i got my license i dont know if that requirment is still in effect.

It's still required.
smh.gif

Worst part was my instructor was an old hag who made us sit through the whole 5 hours.

Yeah, I know some who don't know how to drive, either.

It sounds crazy but you have to realize that people can get away without knowing how to drive here...there's enough public transportation for a person toget to wherever he or she wants to go. It's just that it takes forever to get to some places.

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

23 and no license? That's unheard of in Cali..

Cali cats be drivin at the age of 16
pimp.gif

Yeah, but a lot of the time that's because y'all have to.

If I was living somewhere where driving was the least bit necessary, I woulda been driving at 16, too.

pimp.gif
yup, permit at 15 1/2, license at 16
pimp.gif

and about the driving test, my bro failed while making the first turn out the parking lot.
roll.gif

he didnt turn the wheel hand over hand he just did the one hand slide around the wheel or something
laugh.gif

Back from lunch.

It's still required.
smh.gif
I didn't go through the 5 hour class. I went to lectures every Friday for a few weeks, but that was a joke in itself.

You got your permit, that's good. When you get everything you need in order and schedule your road test, think of these tips I'm going to give you.

- Put blinkers on for everything. (Pulling out, pulling along side a car when you are asked to parallel park, turning, etc).
- Look over your shoulders when pulling out, backing up, etc. (It's easier to use your mirrors, but I was told to use shoulders for the driving test).
- Check your mirror before instructor tells you to pull out to begin the test. (Even if you just touch it, make the effort to at least pretend your adjustingit).
- When parallel parking, make sure to not hit the curb when backing up and in. You want to get close, but in some cases you may automatically fail because youhit the curb on your park.
- When approaching a STOP sign, make sure you slow up and stop before the crosswalk. Creep slowly up after you stop to make sure no cars are coming before youmake your next move.
- Make sure you're K-Turn (broken U-Turn) is done well. It's easy, but you don't want to be sitting there repeatedly backing up and forward,backing up and forward. It should be done in "2 steps" the most.
- Hands "10&2 o'clock" on the wheel. Hand over hand when turning (it's annoying, but required).
- Keep at the speed limit. Depending on a sign that may be there, it's 20-25 on the driver test if I'm not mistaken.

I think that's it (if anything else comes to my mind, I'll post it). Just remember, passing the driving test is your only worry. Once you pass it, youcan drive comfortably. That's how I feel now. I drive to school and wherever, and I drive fine.

NikeTalker23 wrote:

pimp.gif

If I was living somewhere where driving was the least bit necessary, I woulda been driving at 16, too.

That's true. It's hard to get around cali if you can't drive. Other than the traffic that we get here, driving under 21 is
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Basically. If a lot of yall lived in NY you would be in the same position as us.

Thanks for the tips bkmac. I really appreciate it.

And thanks for everyone chiming in...even if y'all just came in to laugh at me.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the tips bkmac. I really appreciate it.
Not a problem. Good luck with your road test (whenever that may be). Keep us updated.

And as mentioned, taking the 4 to Yankee games > driving to them (unless you're driving for a night game.) A win at a night game and listening to thepost game interviews on the way home is
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom