Top Gear - Bugatti Veyron vs. McLaren F1

Originally Posted by raffstyleXX

ie2w0l.jpg

wink.gif
I'm very familiar with the article, but i just cannot myself to agree with it. Gordon is preaching refinement, practicality, better buildquality and ease of use. You might aswell list the Maserati Bora as an F1 benchmark, because it was really the first mid engine performance car that focused onthose things. But really, when you're talking SUPERCARS, how much do some of those things (mainly practicality and ease of use) really matter?

At that time, the top dog everyone was trying to beat hailed from Maranello. Once the F1 took down the F40, Gordon would only talk about how the F1 would bedifferent or his "better" plan no matter what car it is being compared to. If you go back and read some articles, most autojournalists still lusted for the F40 anways.

Then again, what do i know? He's Gordon Murray. Proven to the world in F1 and builder of arguably the greatest sports carever created.

I love those Top Gear videos
pimp.gif

I have to get behind the wheel of a supercar at some point in my life. That guy has one hell of a job

Originally Posted by curt2121

Originally Posted by raffstyleXX

ie2w0l.jpg

wink.gif

This is true, but with a caveat. He didn't mean it in a strict sense of performance. His statement was based off of the fact that the NSX provided a remarkable comfort and practicality level to performance ratio. The NSX sought to deliver ferrari performance with honda reliability, lower cost, and more comfort. Many of you most likely don't realize just how awful supercars of the past were in practical respects. Wanna drive your Countach around town? Good luck. Gonna take your 328 our for a drive? It'll need a service almost instantly. Or my personal favorite, the Miura, generally requires keeping a fire extinguisher at all times. The NSX couldn't be more of a contrast to these cars in that you can actually drive it to the grocery store easily if you need a few things and it won't break down on you, spill oil everywhere, or catch fire. Its use of aluminum was nothing short of remarkable at the time and Ayrton Senna did an AMAZING job in helping to set up the car. This is what Gordon was after. True supercar performance (far surpassing the NSX as it wasn't the best benchmark of that except in handling perhaps), incredible innovation (it's still the fastest N/A production car), and comfort. At an equivalent high speed, an F1 is much more pleasurable/confidence inducing than say a Diablo which sounds like it's going to tear itself apart.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dggtsppm_6cgtnscht&hl=en
An interesting read for Gordon Murray, NSX�& McLaren fans...��

and, what the hell, why not have a vid of Senna�going around Suzuka (West config.) in an NSX-R

^^ yeah i also thought this is the fastest car in the world. but still i like bugatti more...

^ Haha, absolutely... but I hate to admit this... enterainment value ~ Jeremy / Hamster / May > Tiff & Plato

Tiff vs. Stiggy? haha... I dunno.

sick. I have to drive a veyron in my lifetime. Wicked race. But I'd be curious how the Ferrari FXX would perform, it beat the veyron on the track by a good10 secounds....

Originally Posted by nocomment6

sick. I have to drive a veyron in my lifetime. Wicked race. But I'd be curious how the Ferrari FXX would perform, it beat the veyron on the track by a good 10 secounds....

Yeah, but this week they took the FXX's time down, because it was done on slicks... the time was also set by Schumi so in terms of 'driverconsistancy', he a few steps above the normal Stig(s).

i knew their going to remove the FXX lap time... nothing going to beat it if that thing stay on the power board.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

^ Haha, absolutely... but I hate to admit this... enterainment value ~ Jeremy / Hamster / May > Tiff & Plato

Tiff vs. Stiggy? haha... I dunno.

stig>>tiff>>jeremy
laugh.gif

IMO the mclaren looks even better in person whereas the veyron looks worse. Obviously Id gladly have either, but the F1 is superior if you ask me

and the amount of storage space in the car is pretty ridiculous, it !%%%@ on basically any other exotic

Back
Top Bottom