Today is the 10 year anniversary of the Northeast black out Vol. the rucker game that never happened

I was home playing nba live 2003 on my TV. I pressed paused and the lights went out. I seriously thought I shut down the electricity in my home by doing that :lol:
Called my friend and he told me that his lights went out too. So then I went out and I noticed everyone was outside talking about the electricity being out. Someone had the radio on and we found out the blackout was happening in canada and in some parts of the northeast.

it was fun but I would not do that again :lol: :smh:

some pics from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/1*****03-northeast-blackout_n_3751171.html
View media item 538709
View media item 538710
View media item 538711
View media item 538712
View media item 538714

Last edited:
I remember my mom would let me play football in the street on my block because the traffic lights weren't working :lol:

I was a young boy

I was on the computer and I shut it down, as soon as that happened all the power went out, I sat there thinking it was my fault the whole time 
roll.gif

i was making some dinner and everything went out, slept on my fire escape that night it was so hot :lol:

Was at work in midtown. 2 days before that, our office had a transformer blow out, no power in the building, so we were sent home early. Thought it was the same thing til mass confusion on 42nd and all the Aves. Walked with a friend to Chinatown because my Mom was coming up by bus to see my Grandmom. 2 months before that, had foot surgery so walking was killin my dogs. Took 3rd Ave down and remember seeing Pharaoh Monche near SOHO.

NY was surreal. Living in queens, it was hectic to even think how we were getting home. Was able to get a bus by the LES than had to walk another 10 blocks to get to the QB bridge. Walked over that and my friend was able to call a friend to pick us up.

New Yorkers banded together that day, but alot of people/places took advantage by selling $5 bottled waters, etc.

Probably the worst walk I ever did since 9/11.

i was making some dinner and everything went out, slept on my fire escape that night it was so hot :lol:

you were cooking dinner between 330 and 4pm?

i also remember that one side of times square had power while the other side didnt Friday morning. Forest Hills and Maspeth had power by 7am.

I remember that day like it was yesterday.

That was the greatest Summer of my young life thus far. I had the entire apartment to myself, because my parents and sibling were away on vacation. I decided I didn't want to go with them, so they left me a boat-load of money for food and other expenses.

I remember being on the phone with my girlfriend at the time and watching ESPN on TV. We're in the middle of our conversation and the electricity suddenly goes out. I was thinking It was because I had on too many electronics on at once, so, I go to the fuse box to reset it and nothing helps. I end up calling my GF again and she tells me she doesn't have power as well. I then go to a neighbors apartment to see if they have power and while I stepped out of my apartment, I see the hallway dark without the lights on. At this point, I'm thinking it's a local thing.

I ended up making some phone calls on a cell phone and I come to find out it was a regional catastrophe.

There was a crazy heat wave going on and I remember going to the 99 cent store to buy some candles and supplies and there was a huge line to get in. When the sun came down, the entire city went into darkness. People used their cars to illuminate the streets and it was almost like a block party on my street. I remember these guys playing a bunch of music from The Diplomats all night long, because back then they were the hottest group out :rofl:

My parents got word that I was without power and they were freaking out. I've never seen them so concerned over something insignificant or non-life threatening before. They told me to eat as much as I could from whatever I got out the refreidgerator and throw out the stuff I didn't want immediatley. They didn't want food to spoil and sticking up the apartment. I invited some people over and we had a feast. I ended up sleeping next to my window that night because it was so hot. I remember going to sleep hearing DIPSET-DIPSET-DIPSET-DIPSET all night long :lol:

The power didn't come back till late next day.

Last edited:
i remember west coast nt'ers were making fun of us on NT lol smh...

Last edited:
i remember west coast nt'ers were making fun of us on NT lol smh...
Indeed we did :lol:
There was concern for you guys as well though especially because of the heat you guys had. I will say it was eerie on NT though because the absence was clearly noticeable.

During this day I just finished watching nightmare on elm st and I hit eject on the VCR then everything went out in the house. I thought Freddy was about to show up, then I realized that I was awake and it was stilly sunny outside. I think my part of Pennsylvania was only out for a few hours.

I've been in Georgia for ten years. I missed the black out by a few days. Time flies.

I was on vacation in Florida with my parents, and at the time was in the hotel pool when my dad saw on the pool bar T.V. about the blackout.

With quickness my mom ran back to the room to call my aunt to head to my house when she could to take things out of the fridge and freezer :lol: .

Back
Top Bottom