To Everyone Who Seems to Love "Inception" and Even "The Matrix" You Should Read Plato's "The Cave"

didn't they freak out and try to kill the enlightened one when he returned to the cave to tell them of the real world? or am I remembering it wrong?

Originally Posted by DubA169

didn't they freak out and try to kill the enlightened one when he returned to the cave to tell them of the real world? or am I remembering it wrong?

it's suggested that when the enlightened one returned to the cave to free the others they would shun him and try to kill him partially out of disbelief but also out of denial.

Originally Posted by DubA169

it's suggested that when the enlightened one returned to the cave to free the others they would shun him and try to kill him partially out of disbelief but also out of denial.

for people who are really interested in this type of stuff, the film Waking Life is a must watch.. i watched this the other day and it had me thinking for a while:

for people who are really interested in this type of stuff, the film Waking Life is a must watch.. i watched this the other day and it had me thinking for a while:

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by blazinRook

now something so deep as what OP and trey just said is appreciated....it got straight to the point no games....

what inception did was too much...i liked the "idea", but i felt it was just made to be so complex to deliberately confuse people.
All I'll say about inception in this thread (i should probably copy and post this particular statement in the official Inception thread anyway):

The thing is the story in Inception was deliberately told the way it was to leave you wondering what happened.  The entire movie is just a buildup to the gimmick at the end, and I'm cool with that.  I enjoyed it and have read up on and seen enough postmodernist art to appreciate that.

But it's rough for some people to accept that the film is about planting an idea and watching it grow in a person, yet the entire time they're watching the film the director Nolan is planting the idea, the question, "is what I'm seeing real or a dream" in the viewers leaving them confused and wondering at the end.  Like Cobb himself says in the film "the inception is most effective when the subject thinks they came up with the idea themselves" and we're left wondering if we came up with these questions ourselves while in reality Nolan and the cast were feeding us those questions the entire movie.
This...i'm not necessarily cool with lol.

Ya maybe i haven't seen enough postmodernist art to appreciate it, but oh well.

To me, the art is showing how well Nolan and the actors can display deception, not inception.

The art of deception overshadowed the over-all theme of the supposed lesson learned: "he who escapes this metaphorical "cave" and is enlightened with true knowledge of the world around them has the duty of going back into the cave to enlighten the other prisoners and liberate them from the darkness"

I would have appreciated it more if they just went with the underlying theme than the deception theme

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by blazinRook

now something so deep as what OP and trey just said is appreciated....it got straight to the point no games....

what inception did was too much...i liked the "idea", but i felt it was just made to be so complex to deliberately confuse people.
All I'll say about inception in this thread (i should probably copy and post this particular statement in the official Inception thread anyway):

The thing is the story in Inception was deliberately told the way it was to leave you wondering what happened.  The entire movie is just a buildup to the gimmick at the end, and I'm cool with that.  I enjoyed it and have read up on and seen enough postmodernist art to appreciate that.

But it's rough for some people to accept that the film is about planting an idea and watching it grow in a person, yet the entire time they're watching the film the director Nolan is planting the idea, the question, "is what I'm seeing real or a dream" in the viewers leaving them confused and wondering at the end.  Like Cobb himself says in the film "the inception is most effective when the subject thinks they came up with the idea themselves" and we're left wondering if we came up with these questions ourselves while in reality Nolan and the cast were feeding us those questions the entire movie.
This...i'm not necessarily cool with lol.

Ya maybe i haven't seen enough postmodernist art to appreciate it, but oh well.

To me, the art is showing how well Nolan and the actors can display deception, not inception.

The art of deception overshadowed the over-all theme of the supposed lesson learned: "he who escapes this metaphorical "cave" and is enlightened with true knowledge of the world around them has the duty of going back into the cave to enlighten the other prisoners and liberate them from the darkness"

I would have appreciated it more if they just went with the underlying theme than the deception theme

inception IS deception in the movie though. to plant an idea in someone's head is the ultimate deception

inception IS deception in the movie though. to plant an idea in someone's head is the ultimate deception

Originally Posted by bamez

Whomever hasn't heard or read about the cave before went to a really bad school
This,
this should have been read BEFORE WATCHING THESE MOVIES
laugh.gif

if anything, the book the rules of the Matrix was based on might be useful to read after watching it.

also
DT43 wrote:

didnt do it for me, but then again, I was blasted out of my mind at the time and was probably more concerned with the animation
props on the link and reference so I can give it another chance

This,
laugh.gif

if anything, the book the rules of the Matrix was based on might be useful to read after watching it.

also
DT43 wrote:

didnt do it for me, but then again, I was blasted out of my mind at the time and was probably more concerned with the animation

... the Matrix directly references the Cave. arguably it's just an expanded version of it. Morpheus talks about it right before he offers the red/blue pill.

but yea you're right. we live in a world that's controlled by those who decide what is to be known and unknown. knowledge is freedom.

... the Matrix directly references the Cave. arguably it's just an expanded version of it. Morpheus talks about it right before he offers the red/blue pill.

but yea you're right. we live in a world that's controlled by those who decide what is to be known and unknown. knowledge is freedom.

I read it in my 10th grade english class. I was going to write a paper about how it connected to the 5% Percent theory and some of Guru's lyrics in Above the Clouds. She decided not to have us do the paper though.

I read it in my 10th grade english class. I was going to write a paper about how it connected to the 5% Percent theory and some of Guru's lyrics in Above the Clouds. She decided not to have us do the paper though.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

This,
laugh.gif

also
DT43 wrote:

okay, its not a movie with a plot, romance, blah blah.

its more like kind of a documentary told through a story perspective. you won't like it unless you've already spent some time thinking about dreams, reality, alternative dimensions, etc..

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

This,
laugh.gif

also
DT43 wrote:

okay, its not a movie with a plot, romance, blah blah.

its more like kind of a documentary told through a story perspective. you won't like it unless you've already spent some time thinking about dreams, reality, alternative dimensions, etc..

Originally Posted by DT43
just watched it again
didn't care for it, for the simple fact that I've asked myself those questions before.
I just have that kind of inner monologue?
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by DT43
just watched it again
didn't care for it, for the simple fact that I've asked myself those questions before.
I just have that kind of inner monologue?
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom