Things/Purchases Worth Splurging on ? ? ?

Originally Posted by illphillip

RFX, you know I've been on my watch game.

I'll just say this on that front. I'm not the type to buy a gold chain. It's just not me. I don't wear much jewelry.

So I wear a nice, stainless steel timepiece.

In my business, I think it sends an instant message to anyone I'm doing a meeting with that "this dude must be doing something right".

Call it superficial. But welcome to the world we live in.

Very few watches are going to appreciate over time. But I have a Stainless Steel Rolex Submariner. It is a discontinuesd model as the bezels are now ceramic. And the face is now slightly different on newer models.

So down the line, a collector might be willing to pay a decent amount for the watch if I resell. I don't think I'll make money, but I may be able to get back a large percentage of what I paid.
Nice, love the Submariner.

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

Yeah but you also had to put out a large amount of money for the chance to MAYBE get close to what you paid back.

I think people are mistaking the threads purpose. It isn't to splurge on something you don't need just for the heck of it, it is more like if you need/want something, these are the things you shouldn't skimp on. It also isn't about investing on something.
For example, if you need/want a watch and have a $5k budget. The suggestion to spend it on a Rolex you like since the value might go up and it'll look good after 10-20 years instead of buying a $5k Jacobs that will look tacky in 5 years. 

Another example is that kitchen renovation, if you need to do it because it's dilapidated, it's suggested that it is a good idea to pay a little extra and use better materials so the value goes up instead of paying for cheap materials and have it fall apart in the near future. Same thing with buying a bed, why skimp on it when you're spending about a third of your life on it? No need to be buying the most expensive but definitely don't buy the cheapest you find.

Originally Posted by illphillip

I wear a nice, stainless steel timepiece.

In my business, I think it sends an instant message to anyone I'm doing a meeting with that "this dude must be doing something right".

Call it superficial. But welcome to the world we live in.

Very few watches are going to appreciate over time. But I have a Stainless Steel Rolex Submariner. It is a discontinuesd model as the bezels are now ceramic. And the face is now slightly different on newer models.

So down the line, a collector might be willing to pay a decent amount for the watch if I resell. I don't think I'll make money, but I may be able to get back a large percentage of what I paid.
All this, except I'm on the Omega SMP side of the argument
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

Others are dress shoes and a good quality leather jacket. These will age well and with proper care, you can probably pass down to your kids

Been splurging on leather jackets lately. Got a MDR from TOJ coming in very soon and plan on putting in an order for a collared moto and moto 2011 in june so they'll be in my hands by fall.
pimp.gif

Anything that goes to your body, good food, fitness, supplements...pretty much anything that will help you feel comfortable in your own skin, no matter what clothes you buy, what watch you wear, what car you drive, if you are not healthy and secure in your own skin, you won't be happy...that's my take.

^^^

Agreed. I actually wind up spending good money for my trainer (Boxing) and for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes.

Any really good personal trainer is going to cost you dough for a session.

You get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I was just reading this article and in NT (land of the frugal and "reasonable spending") I figure I'd ask what you consider is worth spending a few more bucks on?
7 Things Worth Splurging On
Demand for luxury goods rebounded post-recession -- and as the economy continues to heat up, more consumers are finding the cash for Louboutin pumps, first-class cabins and Michelin-starred meals. But even if you have the disposable income to pay for a designer wardrobe or gold credit card, there’s no need to sacrifice the proverbial bang for your buck. The things most worth splurging on should offer unbeatable quality, great value and a high return on investment, in addition to a visceral thrill.

We reached out to experts in a number of fields, from fashion to technology to travel, and asked them what luxuries are worth "splurging" on. While some of these items carry big-ticket prices, most will pay you back in one way or another--be it by retaining or increasing in value, or by saving you money in some manner, such as on repairs and replacements. So while others might call them extravagances, we consider them investments.

Check out our list of seven things worth splurging on.

American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card

The price: $175 (annual fee)

Why it's worth it: Rewards points can add up quickly

No one likes paying fees on credit cards. But American Express's $175 annual fee doesn't sound so steep when you weigh the perks: unlimited points on pretty much everything you buy, with no expiration date and easy point transfers to more than a dozen frequent-flier programs. Each dollar spent on airline tickets earns three points, gas and groceries earn two, and all other purchases earn at least one point per dollar (more than 300 major retailers offer more).

Earning double or even triple points on purchases makes it easier -- and faster -- to rack up enough miles for free flights. American Express offers added incentives to new Gold Card holders, including no annual fee the first year and 25,000 bonus points for charging $2,000 in the first three months. Cardholders can also earn 15,000 bonus points by making $30,000 in purchases in a calendar year

pimp.gif

Some things on this list seem really stupid. Also, how could they not include your bed/mattress?!?! You spend so much time on it and it impacts how you feel so much, it's definitely worth splurging on.

20k on a kitchen remodel
eek.gif
thats some serious money
Apples stock is bound to try sometime in the future. Cant keep climbin forever.
Quality camera............if you really appreciate making good photos and travel a lot its worth it

list is garbage

things worth splurging on:

good food i.e. organic and non GMO
first class train tickets
good set of kitchenware
good silverware
quality handcrafted furniture (amish got it on smash)
good jacket/coat made in the USA

Just curious but why would you say a good silverware? In my 31 years on this earth I have never thought I needed to upgrade my spoons and forks.

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

Just curious but why would you say a good silverware? In my 31 years on this earth I have never thought I needed to upgrade my spoons and forks.
laugh.gif
 I was thinking the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom