THEE OFFICIAL PLAYOFFS THREAD OF THE B2B NBA CHAMPIONS @MiamiHEAT

Rememder: The 1st Annual Yahoo NT Heat fans ONLY Basketball Fantasy league draft is this Sun Oct 27 9:30pm ET

Last edited:
Bring it? Dude, we're the CHAMPS. You come to us and bring it....

Now, back to Miami Heat business

Heat cut Griffin, Hamilton; Beasley makes cut to 15

MIAMI—
The Miami Heat reduced their roster to the NBA regular-season limit of 15 players Saturday with the release of forward Eric Griffin and center Justin Hamilton.

The moves keep forward Michael Beasley and guard Roger Mason Jr. among the remaining 15 despite arriving to training camp with non-guaranteed contracts.

The current 15-player roster is rounded out by the 13 veterans who entered training camp with guaranteed contracts: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, Udonis Haslem, Ray Allen, Shane Battier, Chris Andersen, Norris Cole, James Jones, Greg Oden, Rashard Lewis and Joel Anthony.

The deadline for NBA teams to meet the 15-player regular-season roster limit is 5 p.m. Monday. But in order for released players with non-guaranteed contracts not to count against the 2013-14 salary cap, they had to released by 5 p.m. Saturday in order to clear the 48-hour waiver period.

Teams may keep as few as 13 players on their regular-season rosters.

Griffin and Hamilton now can be claimed on waivers by any team with roster space. The Heat no longer hold the rights to either.

Photos: Florida Panthers Ice Dancers

Griffin showed promise with the Heat in summer leagues in Orlando and Las Vegas, had his moments during an intra-squad scrimmage at AmericanAirlines Arena, as well as during fleeting appearances during the preseason.

However with the Heat in win-now mode and hard up against the punitive NBA luxury tax, the athletic undrafted forward out of Campbell University found himself caught in a numbers game.

Hamilton, acquired by the Heat out of Louisiana State in the second round of the 2012 NBA Draft, struggled with injuries last season overseas, was unable to play for the Heat this summer and then dealt with a broken nose at the close of the preseason.

The Heat earlier in the week released center Jarvis Varnado and point guards Larry Drew II and Charlie Westbrook from the NBA-maximum 20-player roster they took into camp.

Griffin appeared in seven exhibitions, averaging 1.7 points on 5-of-12 shooting, with five rebounds and three blocked shots. Hamilton made five preseason appearances, averaging 2.6 points on 5-of-9 shooting, with five rebounds.

Beasley and Mason survived Saturday's cuts after several solid preseason efforts.

The Heat had stressed that Beasley would have to play his way onto the regular-season roster, after struggles in recent seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Phoenix Suns. Like Mason, he was signed at the veteran minimum, with a contract that does not become fully guaranteed until Jan. 10.

"I think I did pretty good, given my situation," he said. "I think I got a whole lot better.

"I definitely got a lot better staying consistent with my motor, trying to play hard the whole game, the whole time I'm out there. As far as everything, offensively, getting shots or not getting shots or minutes or anything, it's one of those things that are going to fall into place. I'm going to keep working hard and just let it happen."

Beasley said he appreciates he is in a different role than when he was selected by the Heat with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 draft out of Kansas State.

"I'm just trying as best as possible just to keep it even, just to be even-keeled, never get too high, never get too low," he said of his return. "Missed shots or missed rotations, missed rebounds, always focus on the next play, and just go about it that way. I'm happy, definitely happy, but I'm not comfortable."

The Heat open the regular season Tuesday at 8 p.m. against the visiting Chicago Bulls.
By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun Sentinel

2013-2014 Miami Heat Season Predictions

I think the team will win 62 games. Dwyane Wade will continue to be an efficient player while LeBron contends for another MVP award. Bosh will have a standout season on offense and the team will be top 3 in defense.

The Heat will win another Championship and complete the "3Peat" over the Clippers. Bosh for Finals MVP 8)

Quest for the Three Peat starts tonight! Everyone's in a contract year, things will get interesting!

Back
Top Bottom