THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im on a YouTube rabbit hole and the 1950’s and 60’s for basketball is so damn poor I’m upset that people put Russell and Wilt on all time lists man wtf.

at the bare minimum, the fact that this isn’t even basketball should put serious question on how good they would be with modern training and dieting. That doesn’t automatically mean you’d be good, let alone an all star, hall of famer, etc

Can we just not talk about stats from the '60s and '70s. They were all inflated, and once NBA players discovered cocaine everything flew out the window.

78 points and 43 rebounds :rofl:

That’s a college TEAM in this era
50FE339C-035C-4146-810E-E177455BFC22.jpeg

they dribbled that way for a reason, carrying was super strict.

your hand needed to be directly on top of the ball when dribbling any slight deviation would elicit a carrying call.

The dribbling isn't even the funniest thing about that gif, but the guy playing "defense". If he fell like that reacting to that move, imagine how he would do against modern point guards.

I rock with the WNBA but people like this got to sit tf down. Only 12 teams in WNBA and some of the best female players in the world have skipped entire seasons because they get paid more in Europe.

When we’re talking about bringing hoops back to Seattle, 75% of people that actually care about sports will automatically respond by saying they miss the Sonics. It’s a certain demographic that jump to becoming offended and put on a cape for the Storm, but I’m not going there...

The Storm is fine. I've attended games. They get mad respect around here. But we literally have city council members saying we don't need an NBA team here because we have a professional basketball team. No, dip****s, It's NOT an NBA team, and the city basically says they don't want the revenue. Hell, the OKC owners, as part of their deal, didn't want the Storm as part of the deal. They were on record saying they didn't want it because they were lesbians. It's a black mark on the NBA that is under reported. They got fined for their homophobic stance, too. But, the NBA still props up the Storm for being one of the most successful WNBA franchises.

The reality is, the NBA has a presence in Seattle, but only because they choose to subsidize the WNBA. The WNBA loses money for the league. Just fold it already. Stop the charade.

This is what makes me angry about the NBA. They don't care about any of this. Give a goddamn team to Seattle and have it make sense. Stop with this joke of "oh, the Storm keeps winning chips".

/rant over

78 points and 43 rebounds :rofl:

43 rebounds out of 98 his team had. The average number of rebounds for a whole team this season was 44.9. There were literally more than twice as many rebounds available to be grabbed back then than there are today. So it's not some speculative "would've" to say that numbers back then are misleading. It can be proven for a fact.

Look at 6'5 Elgin Baylor grabbing 31 rebounds like it's nothing.

This is what makes me angry about the NBA. They don't care about any of this. Give a goddamn team to Seattle and have it make sense. Stop with this joke of "oh, the Storm keeps winning chips".

that's like being a kid and kicking and screaming for this:
bacd0091-a3b5-4f31-be65-bb7c53ec1ac3.__CR0,0,2067,847_PT0_SX1464_V1___.jpg

but getting this instead

51RzsM9bJWL._SL1280_.jpg

You've got a 7 foot phenom with a supposedly 50 inch vert. Everyone who ever knew him says he was the greatest athlete alive. Faster than everyone, stronger than everyone. Just a dominating force imposing his will on everybody.......except for one ******* guy who kicks his *** so much I'd be embarrassed to call it a rivalry. I'd think that one guy is probably really good. Some of the rules we have today are because they wanted to make the game less easy for Wilt. Maybe they should've been focusing on making it less easy for Bill.

You've got a 7 foot phenom with a supposedly 50 inch vert. Everyone who ever knew him says he was the greatest athlete alive. Faster than everyone, stronger than everyone. Just a dominating force imposing his will on everybody.......except for one ****ing guy who kicks his *** so much I'd be embarrassed to call it a rivalry. I'd think that one guy is probably really good. Some of the rules we have today are because they wanted to make the game less easy for Wilt. Maybe they should've been focusing on making it less easy for Bill.

Despite all of his unmatched combination of size, athleticism and strength, he had the most massive drop when it came to playoff, and especially finals performances of any all time great ever. Even his already terrible free throw percentage consistently fell from regular season to playoffs, and then fell even further in finals. I dare anyone to look at this chart and claim with a straight face that Wilt has a case for GOAT:

Wilt.png

Only 3 players are GOAT tier: Jordan, Kareem and LeBron. Definitely not Wilt.

I watched that ‘62 Finals joint...and came away appreciating Bob Cousy more. That jump pass he hit, for the Russell Dunk was ahead of its time. Shoot...Cousy had like 7, modern assist in that 3rd quarter alone.

Shoot...that sequence from 7:50 to 8:05 is definitely some modern basketball P C H P C H

Jerry West rejects the screen for a deep pull up. Cash. Next play....Cousy hits the seams for a jump pass to Bill Russell for a two hand dunk.

The numbers in that era were juiced for sure. But I’m definitely recognizing foundations for basketball. It’s there.

Show notes
The Ringer's Bill Simmons is joined by Ryen Russillo to talk about Episodes 7 and 8 of the ESPN documentary series 'The Last Dance' (2:30) before discussing UFC 249 (41:40) and Adam Silver's call with NBA players regarding the possible return of an NBA season (1:04:40). Finally they revisit the 1997 NBA Finals between the Chicago Bulls and the Utah Jazz, where Michael Jordan would win his fifth NBA title (1:25:07).

Crying MJ, UFC 249, Ominous NBA News, and 1997 NBA Finals RewatchaBulls With Ryen Russillo | The Bill Simmons Podcast from The Bill Simmons Podcast | Podbay https://podbay.fm/podcast/1043699613/e/1589172313

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom