THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what would it take for people to be comfortable with bringing sports back again ?
Realistically, when society clears up and this thing APPEARS to be under control. (Whatever that means). But worrying about sports during this time just seems weird to me and it feels like an out of touch concern. (For the fans worrying about it).

Personally, When it comes back, it comes back. I am at a point in life where I have watched tens of thousands of hours of basketball. I don't think I am dying anytime soon so I am cool on watching classic content for the time being. It will be back eventually. If not, life goes on.

We somewhat talked about this last week (moreso XVI and XVII centric, though) but given the anniversary date of Mj’s last NBA game...which one of these y’all got?

XVIIIs are slept on IMO

17s easily one of my favorite hoop shoes of all time. These hit the discount rack. Grabbed 3 pair for of the white/blue for $180. Hopped in all 3 pair till the soles came apart. The suitcase was 🔥

So what would it take for people to be comfortable with bringing sports back again ?

Not to get in the weeds but do you mean for us to feel comfortable bringing fans back into the fold or for us to feel comfortable with sports in general?

If it’s the former, which I have a stake in, I wouldn’t feel comfortable going to a sporting event until there is some sort of combination of therapeutics, extreme confidence that they have an understanding/handle of the virus, the numbers are truly flattened and a vaccine is on the way. I’m cool watching it at home for the time being.

As far as bringing them back in general, that’s tough to answer because that doesn’t affect my directly but ideally it would be the same factors as above tbh. Since that’s not feasible or realistic, I would say when precise rapid result testing is widely available after a reasonable flattening of the curve, hopefully with knowledge of if you can get it more than once. That way players and staff could at least not pass it to each other and all employees of the respective sport would be safe. I think it goes without saying but this would be a fanless scenario.

If fans aren't allowed to be in the stands, I think it is messed up to force athletes to play.

So until fans are allowed to be IN the venue, I don't think it is right to trot those dudes out onto the floor.

So is this guy basically saying that KD can't be a PG legend because he went to Montrose in Rockville instead of Largo, Suitland, or whatever else is over there near Seat Pleasant where he lived?

That seems dumb TO ME.
Dude has been arguing with folks for the last 4 days about this topic. It is kinda funny. His comments made Quinn Cook and Nolan Smith do an IG live on the topic.

It is funny.

So is this guy basically saying that KD can't be a PG legend because he went to Montrose in Rockville instead of Largo, Suitland, or whatever else is over there near Seat Pleasant where he lived?

That seems dumb TO ME.

I know nothing about DMV geography but it seems dumb to me too. It’s also interesting to me though because people tend to be overinclusive when claiming athletes from their area. This dude is going the opposite route.

I was watching the steamroom with the inside the nba cast.

Barkley made a good point that in order to complete the season in Vegas or whatever the players would have to be couped up in hotels for 2 months away from their families. That wouldn’t be fair to them either, and some players would have a hard time agreeing to that.

Do you mind expanding on why you think this? Thank you.
If the world ain't safe for people to come watch, I think it is partially hypocritical to OK a competitive sports league to gather on a nightly basis to compete.

So until the WORLD goes back to normal, sports shouldn't go back to normal.

I don't care if they have testing kits available after each and every game because tests aren't PREVENTATIVE. A test is only reactionary.

Last edited:
Dude has been arguing with folks for the last 4 days about this topic. It is kinda funny. His comments made Quinn Cook and Nolan Smith do an IG live on the topic.

It is funny.
Yeah I read a few tweets but didn't feel like going in all that deep. Needed the TLDR.

can't believe that moron is allowed to be called a Dr or the fact anyone actually respects his advice
I have been seeing this passed around all day and people are not listening to what he said.

He said SOME people MIGHT be willing to take that risk. (Losing 3% of kids).

He didn't say it was a good idea nor did he say he endorses it.

He presented something someone else said and said OTHERS might agree.

I have been seeing this passed around all day and people are not listening to what he said.

He said SOME people MIGHT be willing to take that risk. (Losing 3% of kids).

He didn't say it was a good idea nor did he say he endorses it.

He presented something someone else said and said OTHERS might agree.
Im saying in general, he's a money hungry fraud.

If the world ain't safe for people to come watch, I think it is partially hypocritical to OK a competitive sports league to gather on a nightly basis to compete.

I don't care if they have testing kits available after each and every game because tests are PREVENTATIVE. A test is only reactionary.

I get what you're saying but I think a lot of ppl will be going back to work in some capacity by june/July and they will be relying on testing/temperature checks. That might be the norm by then.

Not saying it's right or wrong but the NBA and other sports leagues will just be doing what other businesses are doing.

I get what you're saying but I think a lot of ppl will be going back to work in some capacity by june/July and they will be relying on testing/temperature checks. That might be the norm by then.

Not saying it's right or wrong but the NBA and other sports leagues will just be doing what other businesses are doing.
Sure, if the majority of the regular world is back to normal, I have no issue with the NBA following suit.

But I have a hard time WANTING them to go back while I am still forced to work for home. That ain't right.

To be fair to @buc em, there’s people with a lot more influence than him saying the same kind of stuff. Today I heard a sound clip from Clay Travis’ radio show during the broadcast of another show. (I would never voluntarily listen to his show).

He’s pushing hard for sports to come back. He said something like, “stay-at-home orders were implemented so hospitals around the country would not be overwhelmed by additional patients. No hospital in any city has been overwhelmed, so we should open the country up again.” That statement has no basis in actual fact - hospitals have been and continue to be slammed with patients - but he said it with total confidence and a lot of people listen to him. :smh:

He's been pushing that stuff every day for months now.

1354BC30-7326-42EE-9095-EB81F276BC75.jpeg
C69B5804-C6B3-4BE3-A32B-C4E65E368BE3.jpeg

That's just a small sample, I'm not even gonna post all his BS, but he was wildly wrong at the very beginning of the outbreak, and instead of just admitting he was wrong, he's spent every day since then downplaying it. And when people correctly point out that he's spreading dangerous misinformation and jeopardizing their safety, he accuses them of being "coronavirus bros" who are rooting for the virus. He's a willfully ignorant moron, and his terrible sports takes are one thing, but for months now he's been actively trying to get people killed. And no, I don't follow him and never have; the only time I see his tweets is when he's getting dunked on in my timeline. Which has been very frequently these last 2 months.

The “normal” we knew as of March 11, 2020 no longer exists. That is the “normal” of the past and going forward there will be a new “normal”.

I see your point as a whole, though. I will say there is a difference between the ~200 or however many necessary gathering to have a fanless game than the 15-18k gathering who will then go back and have the opportunity to infect others. Th image below illustrates that to an extent.
1587075191642.jpeg

I would expect the levels of exposure for a professional athlete to naturally be lower but purported interested is health so I understand why that might not be of significance to you.

That seems dumb TO ME.

Yup Durant decided to play a national schedule in High School so he can't be a PG legend according to this

Yup Durant decided to play a national schedule in High School so he can't be a PG legend according to this
On top of having a legendary coach.

Perhaps things would've been better if he went to Dematha or McNamara? Still seems like dude would've been salty.

I was watching the steamroom with the inside the nba cast.

Barkley made a good point that in order to complete the season in Vegas or whatever the players would have to be couped up in hotels for 2 months away from their families. That wouldn’t be fair to them either, and some players would have a hard time agreeing to that.
A good bulk of the league hasn’t been paid most of their salary this year. They’re not leaving that on the table if they have a choice.

Unfortunately for them, I don’t think they’ll ever get the choice. There’s no scenario that makes sense while we don’t have an actual cure for this thing.

A good bulk of the league hasn’t been paid most of their salary this year. They’re not leaving that on the table if they have a choice.

That is because of the how they selected to be paid, correct? Even if the season is canceled wouldn’t the NBA still be obligated to pay them a pro-rated amount for the games they have played (aka full season salary minus the amount for the games they forfeited due to COVID-19)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom