The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The ariana x Weeknd collab is gonna be fire. Dont even care if its Pop.

Problem is fire. 
smokin.gif

This guy and his obscure samples
laugh.gif

When I first heard his stuff on HOB and how he sampled Beach House, which is my favorite band, I was like
mean.gif
in a bad way.. now I look back at it all like
eek.gif
dude has an ear for the best music and then puts out even better music

Man I really want Drake to spit on "Often"...

...**** is like a seductive strip club version of "Pound Cake."

I gotta fall back with listening to this **** at work tho, **** around and get that "Sexual Harrassment" email from HR...
roll.gif
 Dead on. Sometimes I gotta stop myself from saying some off the wall **** at work after hoppin in The Weeknd bag

Last edited:
Hopefully the Ariana/Weeknd song is good, not expecting much since her fanbase is so young.. she can sing though.

Son shook that shy ****
He still pretty lowkey though and he got that understated tone to everything he do. In that vid even his wave to the crowd when he first got on stage was like "hello all, I'm here" lol. Dude is definitely a weirdo and awkward but it's all good

Last edited:
Doc McKinney Interview

Just in case anyone missed it.

"I didn’t grow up in downtown Minneapolis, I grew up in Saint Paul, around Highland Park. Prince was massive here, but it was also the home of big future grunge ****. The Replacements, Husker Du, etc., and that was very anti-establishment, so by the time I was actually making music, a lot of [Prince] was establishment. I’ve always been like, “Oh, everyone’s doing that? Hell no, I’m going the other way.” That’s just my nature and it made me miss out on a lot of stuff, like classic rock.  I thought it was ******’ horrible. Being what people would call “hipster” now, coupled with skate culture, punk was so much more exciting and cutting edge. Being punk rock, it didn’t matter who or what I was, they wanted to beat my *** because I was on a skateboard and had a pink mohawk, which was kind of cool.  One thing that was consistent in Minnesota was that it wasn’t uncommon for any black person to be playing guitar, because Prince was here. This is where I learned everything, like “I can do punk rock and funk, and not get a brick thrown at my head?” But when you’re a mixed kid playing punk rock, the black kids would come up and be like, “you know you’re black, right?” Then the white kids would be like, “no disrespect but I have this black joke.” At the time, it wasn’t a problem, because Minneapolis was so progressive, and punk rock was new there. In a lot of ways it was just people just telling me I didn’t know myself, but I had so much support around me for what I was doing, that I never really got hung up on **** like that. "

"Few years later, two of the producers, Henry “Cirkut” Walter, and Adrien “AG” Gough, from a production team that I was mentoring called The Dream Machine, called me and said, “We got this kid, he’s incredible; he’s the next.” These guys have good taste. I said “Calm down,” but he was like, “No, he is perfect for the stuff you’re trying to do.” So on January 1st, 2011, I told them to come over and Cirkut, Abel [The Weeknd] and I did the session. Abel had “What You Need”, “Loft Music” and the original recording of “The Morning (screwed)”. That was the stuff he did with Jeremy Rose [Zodiac] and that was all beat-oriented, so when I met him, he was talking about doing things that were more produced.  He had a good perspective. We did the session January 1st and then the next day, Abel came back to my studio, and didn’t leave. He and I immediately started doing “House of Balloons.” He already had interest from Drake, but Drake was on tour at the time. By the time Drake was off tour, they came to the studio and we already had finished “House of Balloons,” “Wicked Games,” “Glass Table Girls,” “The Morning,” etc."

http://greenroommagazine.com/issue02/doc-mckinney-interview-greenroom/

Back
Top Bottom