The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
All the projects are stellar. The drop off really isn't that far compared to whatever you have higher than another. Majority considers HOB a classic. Guys like henz and a good amount love Thursday. There's a handful who like EOS best. To me, it's hard to rank KL. Loved the album but does it really crack the top 3? But then I listen to the first 4-5 tracks and find myself replaying it from the beginning. It's that good, and I usually don't make it to Pretty. Even though it's :pimp:

I don't like Kiss Land as much as the Trilogy but Adaptation might be the best song I've heard from the God

Professional and Kiss Land (the song) are up there as well

The reason I consider all projects classic is because I can never decide which I like best. Its rotational; always switching through the 4. And most importantly, there's not a single track I don't fuxx with. And I appreciate KL that much more because you can hear the growth as a singer/performer, yet maintains the artistry in his work. To still get that Weeknd signature on a more polished project = success.

Had Thursday on repeat today knocking on the KRKs. Was supposed to be getting **** done, but I ended up just zoning for ~5 hours.

Kissland is on a different level.  HOB is special in a different way but those two are projects are definitively classics in my book.  

I think HOB is more popular for a couple reasons.

For one, people almost always think an artist's early work is better. And sometimes it truly is (but a lot of times people just prefer the material they first heard and fell in love with, it holds the most nostalgia and memories). Pearl Jam never topped "Ten" IMO. Biggie never topped "Ready To Die" (and I believe it's cuz a majority of his appeal, his rawness, came from his struggle b4 his rap career, and as he got successful and "jiggy", and the more he hung with Diddy, the less raw he was, and I often wonder had he never died how he'd have been viewed eventually, would he still end up being considered the goat later, and how he woulda progressed as an artist). But then some artist's work gets better. Like Nirvana's final album, Kurt believed it to be his best work, he had refined his sound, and I tend to agree. His sound got edgier and better over time, success only pissed him off and made him go deeper, instead of watering it down.

But more importantly, I think it's cuz HOB is less deep. It's more party music. Hipsters and casual fans relate to it more. Singing mostly about getting geeked up and smashing chicks is more appealing than all the heart break stuff.

Also, I've been into The Weeknd for a couple years now, but my boy has been up on him since he first came out, and his number one complaint about KL is it's so polished. HOB is raw.

Initially, I felt the same, and felt KL was too deep, like almost the whole album was about some stripper breaking his heart, and no party music is on it. But after I heard it live, sonically it has really grown on me a ton. Some VERY clever samples and production on it, and I like it for what it is now. I also think he's gotten a lot better at singing. His voice often reminds me of the goat of all music and entertainment, MJ, and that's saying something.

I don't quite understand why he pushed "Pretty" as his first single tho. Seems to me, "Wanderlust" is more first single sounding.

"Adaptation" into "Love In The Sky" is amazing tho. The highlight of the album for me. The pitched down Police sample sounds like some Burial $%#t, as does the cinematic vibe in general.

When Abel performed here he said something like "I want to perform some of my new album for you early on b4 it is considered a classic", and I tend to agree, it will be considered a classic in time.

Last edited:
B4 I was on NT I was on music forums where we could read and write more than a paragraph without someone without reading compression telling us it was too much for them to read, as if we're the ones with a problem... :lol:

Sometimes I forget (or don't care) that these sneaker forums are full of lil kids who consider more than a couple sentences an essay...

It's all good. If you don't wanna read it then scroll past it. That's what I do, on topics that don't interest me. Taking time to tell people what to read or write makes no sense, especially if you supposedly don't care what they're talking about. It takes way less energy to scroll right past it.

Wanderlust needs to get pushed as a single. Needs a vid  too. asap. 

Yeah, that's what I was saying up there in my "novel"...

Shoulda been what he was performing on the late night TV shows and everything. I remember at the concert it was the most up beat song of the whole performance. Plus it has the most catchy hook on the album.

brah, get ya goddamn essay writing *** outta here.. ain't nobody reading all that.

Eh, really wasn't that long and I'm positive that you have enough spare time to read it 5 times over.

Proto, I'm actually glad he chose Pretty as the first single because it sounds incredible live. Wonderlust is good but I think he made the right decision.

Can't even front, I was crazy disappointed when I first listened to 'Kiss Land'. Considering my obsession with his first three projects, I just didn't connect with this one the way I wanted to. But its def one of those albums that grows on you the more you listen to it. Really loving a lot of the material on this. 'Kiss Land' is still one of the best songs on here and I can' t believe I slept on 'Wanderlust'. My goodness I LOVE that track. Reminds me of MJ. And the second part to 'Professional'
sick.gif
Too sick.

Eh, i think its best to receive new artists projects with an open mind and with no expectations. I find that I'm not as disappointed if I don't like the product since i wasn't expecting anything or wasn't holding the project to standards of a previous one I enjoyed from the artist.

I actually like HOB the least out of all his projects, and it's crazy how that was my favorite up until KL dropped. KL and EOS are the two I'm enjoying most right now. Montreal and outside :x :x :x

I actually like HOB the least out of all his projects, and it's crazy how that was my favorite up until KL dropped. KL and EOS are the two I'm enjoying most right now. Montreal and outside :x :x :x

Montreal and Outside are so under rated :pimp:

Whenever I here someone say EOS is the worst of his projects I wonder if they skip over Montreal, Outside, The Fall, Initiation, Next, DD, XO/Host. Practically the whole thing :lol:

The Fall
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I got show money baby
I wanna show you how I blow money baby

I wanna show you how I throw money baby

I'm just a kid so it's hard for me to hold money baaaaaaaby

pimp.gif

EOS has always held it's own. I've been saying the penmanship to come on Kissland was tip toeing around all over EOS. 

Back
Top Bottom