The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
this album just has to grow on some people because the production is not doc/illangelo like how trilogy was.

I walked into this album expecting literally nothing more than fantastic production and Abel's angelic voice. I realized last year that he didn't want to be trapped within one sound, so I didn't bother expecting it to sound like anything he's done before. This album is beautiful to me.

I wanna wait but its hard with you guys spazzing in this thread :tongue:

CD drops on my birthday too, what a great present.

I think those that posted above all made excellent points, but I just

find it great that the dude can continue to be captivating and consistent

as an artist just off the music. I was surprised that I gave it an 82% because

albums tend to get better with age and nostalgia, so months from now I'll probably

have it at like a 90%. I enjoy The Weeknd's music most in the winter so hearing it at the 

end of summer probably changed my reaction. 

As good as Triology was, you can definitely tell Abel stepped up his lyric and vocal game on this joint. This album will grow on people. HOB, and even Thursday had to grow on peeps. Even though a lot of people felt HOB was an instant classic/game changer when they heard it.

I walked into this album expecting literally nothing more than fantastic production and Abel's angelic voice. I realized last year that he didn't want to be trapped within one sound, so I didn't bother expecting it to sound like anything he's done before. This album is beautiful to me.

This.

People act like Trilogy Weeknd had a certain sound - which really isn't true. The content was the same but there's pretty major differences in the sound of each one IMO. This is more of a major shift sound-wise but the darkness is still there. There's a lot less drug talk but its definitely still there. I love it though. His production is :wow:

this album just has to grow on some people because the production is not doc/illangelo like how trilogy was.

As great of a talent as he is, I really wish he would work with Doc and especially Illangelo again. The combo of those 3 minds had a lot more left to accomplish. His writing and melodies are still A1 but the production and mixing just is not on the same level as it was with his original team.

This.

People act like Trilogy Weeknd had a certain sound - which really isn't true. The content was the same but there's pretty major differences in the sound of each one IMO. This is more of a major shift sound-wise but the darkness is still there. There's a lot less drug talk but its definitely still there. I love it though. His production is
eek.gif
i dont entirely disagree with this but songs on hob (what you need, the morning, wicked games, coming down) and songs on eos (same old song, next, the fall) (even thursday (the birds, gone, the zone, heaven or las vegas) which i feel was the "lightest" of them all)  were all kind of dark with a few "light" spots.  

this album i feel is abel trying to be more accessible. im not saying its a bad thing, but i think this is the "lightest" we've seen him (wanderlust, pretty, belong to the world)

"Because your freedom was here in this cage all along
Oooh, how did you drain all the soul from your eyes
How did you teach, teach yourself how to smile
In a world where your dreams can't be real"

Sheesh :nthat:

God, this album is ******' beautiful!!!

that Wanderlust Remix :x:x:x Pharrell still got it on lock

Weeknd's a genius, point blank period...i've never seen somebody come out the gate with just dopeness after dopeness after dopeness...son got undeniable classics to his name in such a short amount of time...when it gets dark outside, i'mma spend a couple of hours just :pimp: and listening to his whole discography front to back...

production wise, the album is more in the vein of echoes but much more evolved. the arrangements are so dynamic, both vocally and sonically. i'm waiting to see the credits but, as a producer myself, i'm extremely impressed.

illangelo is missing so there's less "color" if you will, but abel has made it clear that he's focused on progression rather than sticking to one sound. realistically, he could've made 10 more duplicates of "what you need" and "the morning" but he took the challenge and built something else just as good.

also, i'm hoping this album shuts up the naysayers who complain about his lyrics. "the professional" is too poetic. people would be frothing at the mouth if frank ocean sang that.

Last edited:
Obviously just my opinion but I just don't think it's a fair fight between weeknd and ocean at this point. Albeit I never thought the comparison Made much sense anyway.. I don't think anyone is in the weeknds lane.. But this guy just stands apart from any and everyone

In my opinion this album is an awesome piece of work. I love it. He's got my money on the 10th. All of the singles are so much better listening to it straight through front to back.

The writing, the production, the ambiance, the feel of the project, all of it is awesome. Love it.

forum kids love frank ocean and his cryptic morse code lyrics.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with his music. Sometimes he hits his mark and it's awesome, a lot of times though he overwrites to get his point and completely misses his mark. He's very skilled at saying a lot of nothing to me.

I personally liked his song on Dedication 5 more than most of these songs. I'll give it a 7.5/10 on first listen.

Expectations wayyyy too high. No anthems/classics on this album either.

8-8.5-10 album. Was never too hot on that Odd look Remix and Professional is alright to me. Everything else is out of the park.

Either way its been a long and fun ride for all of us in here. :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

What do we have to look for going forward now? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom