The Watchmen...your thoughts

Originally Posted by Tman90

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

The comic is amazing and probably the greatest piece of literature I've ever read. The movie for the most part is a spot on adaptation of the comic so on that front, it was awesome. Just like any book that gets turned into the movie, there is no way the movie can live up to the book (unless its not well known) because you have more storyline and character development in a book. On this front I think the movie was above average. Not amazing but as far as books made into movies, I'd think its near the top.

Anyone that says the movie sucks is basically saying the comic sucks because it is about 95% straight from the comic.
C'mon, a comic is the greatest piece of literature you've ever read? I mean, I'm all for personal opinion, but you need to read more if this is the case!

I can see why comic fans enjoyed the film, but I found the film incredibly boring and in fact, when I left, I remember saying it was the second worst film I've seen at the cinema. Which is true - it just dragged on, and the whole story was just ridiculous. The film just jumped from scene to scene, all of a sudden we're on Mars watching the blue guy meditate? %!+? And how were they so great at fighting, just because they put on a costume?

The ending was horrible and the music choice throughout the film was not fitting at all. I thought that overall, the film was highly disappointing.
As you said it's all personal opinion. but I would like to know what films are great films that you've seen. Which books are great booksyou've read. As you recall this Comic was on times top 100 Novels since 1912 I think(along with catcher in the rye 1984 and a lot of others) The music was perfect, def something different great songs that have been used in movies before, and it was used in this film in the same way, but different if that makessense. Such as along the watch tower is a classic song for going into battle, and it was being played as they walking into Viedts compound.

The comic was incredible. One of my favorites.

The movie was good, but a huge disappointment. Synder hasn't impressed me yet. Though the movie looks completely gorgeous [characters, scenery details,etc], but he hasn't impressed me with his story telling yet. There are too many things I can complain about but I don't want to go on and on. Though Iwill say, the soundtrack sucked. A lot of awkward music in some wonderful scenes. I wish they would've given it to a better director and have him break itdown into two or three separate films. There was just too much to cram into one movie.

The intro was probably my favorite part of the entire thing. I'm purchasing the DVD though, so I can watch it again and give it a second opinion.

The comic is amazing and probably the greatest piece of literature I've ever read. The movie for the most part is a spot on adaptation of the comic so on that front, it was awesome. Just like any book that gets turned into the movie, there is no way the movie can live up to the book (unless its not well known) because you have more storyline and character development in a book. On this front I think the movie was above average. Not amazing but as far as books made into movies, I'd think its near the top.

Anyone that says the movie sucks is basically saying the comic sucks because it is about 95% straight from the comic.
C'mon, a comic is the greatest piece of literature you've ever read? I mean, I'm all for personal opinion, but you need to read more if this is the case!

I can see why comic fans enjoyed the film, but I found the film incredibly boring and in fact, when I left, I remember saying it was the second worst film I've seen at the cinema. Which is true - it just dragged on, and the whole story was just ridiculous. The film just jumped from scene to scene, all of a sudden we're on Mars watching the blue guy meditate? %!+? And how were they so great at fighting, just because they put on a costume?

The ending was horrible and the music choice throughout the film was not fitting at all. I thought that overall, the film was highly disappointing.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you haven't read it? I know we all have been calling it a comic but it truly is more like a novel thatjust so happens to have pictures. It innertwines the comic itself with a fictional biography, a fictional newspaper articles, a fictional comic book, and afictional psychiatric file. It does all this seamlessly and never at all do you feel like it is a chore switching from one to the other because it not onlyadds to the enjoyment of the reading but it also aids in helping you become immersed into the world that is being presented. And I have read classic novels ofpast too and I would put this above them. Catcher in the Rye & Of Mice and Men would fill out my top 3 if you want to gauge the material I read.
wink.gif

Again, I'm guessing you didn't read the novel. My friend was halfway through the comic when we watched the movie, and when we finished he said he wantsto finish the novel even more now that he saw the movie. Take that how you will but the way I interpreted is that he knew the comic would be better than themovie and it was a good enough adaptation that he wanted to finish reading the comic.

I like eccentric music but I will agree with this. The soundtrack was either hit-or-miss for me. Only complaint was that I was hyped to hear Take A Bow by Musein the movie because it was in the trailer, but not the movie
indifferent.gif
.But All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix more than made up for it because I was not expecting that
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bboy1827

As you said it's all personal opinion. but I would like to know what films are great films that you've seen. Which books are great books you've read. As you recall this Comic was on times top 100 Novels since 1912 I think(along with catcher in the rye 1984 and a lot of others) The music was perfect, def something different great songs that have been used in movies before, and it was used in this film in the same way, but different if that makes sense. Such as along the watch tower is a classic song for going into battle, and it was being played as they walking into Viedts compound.

I am a big fan of All Along The Watchtower, but this is one of songs that stuck out for me for not fitting. I remember that scene when they were flying to thecompund, and it just didn't seem to fit in IMO. Also, the use of the Hallelujah remix durig the sex scene was incredibly cheesy as well.

Some of my favourite films include Shawshank Redemption, Pi, City of God, LOTR trilogy... Literature-wise I enjoyed Catch-22, Gorse Trilogy, American Psycho,1984, The New York Trilogy ... Granted, The Watchmen may be on these 'greatest novels' lists, and perhaps I was too quick to dismiss it in my originalpost. However, if the comic is so great, the film definitely does not do it justice, from a non-hardcore fans point of view. This was what I am trying to say -for a casual viewer the film did not appeal, and was not was it was hyped up to be.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you haven't read it? I know we all have been calling it a comic but it truly is more like a novel that just so happens to have pictures. It innertwines the comic itself with a fictional biography, a fictional newspaper articles, a fictional comic book, and a fictional psychiatric file. It does all this seamlessly and never at all do you feel like it is a chore switching from one to the other because it not only adds to the enjoyment of the reading but it also aids in helping you become immersed into the world that is being presented. And I have read classic novels of past too and I would put this above them. Catcher in the Rye & Of Mice and Men would fill out my top 3 if you want to gauge the material I read.
wink.gif

Again, I'm guessing you didn't read the novel. My friend was halfway through the comic when we watched the movie, and when we finished he said he wants to finish the novel even more now that he saw the movie. Take that how you will but the way I interpreted is that he knew the comic would be better than the movie and it was a good enough adaptation that he wanted to finish reading the comic.

I like eccentric music but I will agree with this. The soundtrack was either hit-or-miss for me. Only complaint was that I was hyped to hear Take A Bow by Muse in the movie because it was in the trailer, but not the movie
indifferent.gif
. But All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix more than made up for it because I was not expecting that
pimp.gif

Haha, that obvious that I haven't read it? I may just give it a read, although I am a bit worried the film and my opinion of it will ruin the story forme...

When I stepped out of the theater there was a group of teeny-boppers that had neither the attention span or intelligence required for this flick, complainingabout how stupid it was....every time I hear someone complain I think of them
laugh.gif

and to the dude that said "cmon a comic"

arts-graphics-2007_1181528a.jpg

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

classic pieces of literature are in that list and watchmen is among them

Originally Posted by visualmusiC

The intro was probably my favorite part of the entire thing. I'm purchasing the DVD though, so I can watch it again and give it a second opinion.
cosign. The first 40 mins were like
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Haha, that obvious that I haven't read it? I may just give it a read, although I am a bit worried the film and my opinion of it will ruin the story for me...
Yeah it was. To be completely honest, I went to the movie with 3 friends. 2 of us had read the novel, 1 was halfway through, and 1 never read it.All of us enjoyed the movie but I doubt my friend that never read it would go out of his way to pick it up and read it. I would suggest reading it because asmost have said, if you haven't read it, the film does the comic no justice (as much as I enjoyed/liked the film).

I didnt like it. My boy was hypin it up OD too too so it was a double let down for me. I didnt reas th book so that mustve been a must to enjoy it fully. Ithought it was OD long too and I feel asleep in the middle.

@tman
If you like those books about the human condition(1984 for example) than how can you not like this movie? You haven't read the book so I can't tell youabout that. But The very fact that fear elected Nixon to a third term should be exciting enough. Or the "who watches the watchmen" Just that questionalone should spark someone of your intellect. I mean these people are superheroes; Apple, Baseball, Nixon and Superheroes was America at that time, and thisfilm sheds a completely different light, a more realistic light of what superheroes would be like. The fact that Viedt realized that the only way for people tounite as one is for something so horrific to happen that we must unit to fight it. The fear of human beings plays out perfectly not only in the book but alsothe movie. but as stated it's all about opinions, just give it a second look thnking of the multiple messages. I think when people look at the movie not asanother comic book movie but the film adaptation of a socio-political philosophical book than people will like it more. This is closer related to Nixon/Frostor Che than it is to Fantastic IV.

25 extra minutes
eek.gif
! I think these could really add to the movie, bring iteven closer to the comic. I still have one question tho...Did they even imply that the Comedian shot Kennedy in the comic?? Thought that was a rather crazyaddition in the movie.

[h2]Watchmen' Returning To Theaters In July With 25 Minutes Of ExtraFootage[/h2]
Published by Brian Warmoth on Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 1:38 pm.

020209_watchmanimax-tm.jpg
If you didn't feel like you got your money's worth paying to see "Watchmen" in its original 162-minute incarnation, there is good news today, because Zack Snyder has announced that the film is returning to theaters in select cities this summer, even longer than before.

"Watchmen: The Director's Cut," which Snyder called "considerably more violent" and "sexier" than the movie's original version, will only be out for a week leading up to its DVD and Blu-ray releases, but the director's will cap the limited run by hosting a July 25 screening at Comic-Con.

i liked it... i think they stuck to the graphic novel as much as possible... (could have done more) ... but to me this movie was def.
pimp.gif

I didn't see what all the hype was surrounding the book/comic. I never got around to seeing the movie in theaters, but I have the DVD saved in my Netflixqueue. The book IMO was a decent read, but nothing jaw-dropping or spectacular.

Movie was good!!! Unfortunately, because of it's length the people who were clueless of the story will definitely dislike it because there was not enoughaction, like most comic books story...I didn't read the books but I enjoyed it. I love seeing the struggle of heroes, it makes more realistic..

read the book, i dont see what all the hype is about. I'll probably try and check the movie, but its low on my list of priorities.

The problem with the Watchmen is this:

a. If you follow the comic panel by panel, the movie would be 5-6 hours and only the comic faithful would truly appreciate it. Regular movie viewers would beturned off and it would be a box office bomb.

b. If you alter the movie into a 2-2.5 hour piece and strip it down to the core, it would make for a fascinating movie that regular movie viewers would enjoy,but would be very heavily criticized by the comic faithful.

In the end, Snyder basically walked that fine line. It did very well in the beginning, but after the first week the numbers plummeted. My biggest complaint ofthe film was that there was so much time wasted on useless action sequences that they could have used to tell more of the story (maybe more of the backstory ofMalcolm or the death of the first Nite Owl, which I hear is on the DVD). What also made the Watchmen so great were the "extras." The 4-5 pages at theend of each issue (sans the last issue) really gave the Watchmen reality a lot of depth, not to mention the Tales of the Black Freighter which really mirroredthe events in the Watchmen. All in all, I guess if you add every single footage shot, plus the Tales of the Black Freighter , you would have essentially 70-80%of the graphic novel.

Still, the way that Dr. Manhattan's origin was portrayed was awesome. Visuals and music were just spectacular.

In the end, The Watchmen was written and meant to be a graphic novel.

Honestly, and not to argue with anyone because everyone's opinion is important, but having read the novel thoroughly, I consider the movie very on pointand direct. I don't think that a novel so wonderfully written and intricate in plot as it is could have been interpreted in film as clear and precise as itwas. I mean, yes, a few things stood out that were a little corny, like honestly, the hallelujah song during a sex scene, unnecessary. But overall, a greatadaptation of the novel. I enjoyed it.

Btw, half of the people that stated that the movie sucked have probably not even read the novel and are not familiar with the storyline. It has a veryhistorical and in depth story line, it's, imo, aimed for a more sophisticated audience.

For people saying it sucked it may not be yoru cup of tea and thats always cool. For the others saying that it sucked but you claim to be up on your politics,philosophy and social issues(especially around that time) then I would like an explanation as to why you think it sucked. Thats all I ask. Movies(would saybooks but there is already so many on the market) like this come around every once and a while that test whether people are smart as they think they are, or asdeep as they think they are.

I loved the graphic novel, read it hundreds of times. I liked the movie, I thought it was an admirable effort. Still, the problem with the movie, I feel, wasthat it was TOO faithful to the text. The Watchmen graphic novel is heavy on dialogue and it works for the format it is presented in. For the movie, I feellike it needed to be adapted more to be more of an action movie. After all, the movie was being advertised as a major action movie and then the first 45minutes is straight talking. I can see how the public could be frustrated with this movie because if you go to a movie expecting out and out action and you get2 hours of talking and 30 minutes of action you would be disappointed. I feel like if it didn't stay as faithful to the graphic novel it could have been amuch better movie.

Back
Top Bottom