The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

I will say freely, that I got Fox Soccer purely because of Gus
I love Gus but he was kinda annoying today. Every ball played in the box he just got hella excited lmao
To be fair though, I've always been like that too ever since I started watching soccer like 5 years ago 
laugh.gif

what did Gus used to commentate? know he's american but name doesn't ring a bell to any sport attached

Last edited:
Rooney's situation is getting interesting...

Beckenbauer backs Rooney to join Bayern

Germany legend Franz Beckenbauer has thrown his support behind rumours linking Wayne Rooney with a move to Bayern Munich in the summer.

Beckenbauer,an honorary president at Bayern,insists he would be "very happy" to see the Manchester United striker at the Allianz Arena next season,adding to speculation that Rooney could force an early exit from his contract at Old Trafford.

"I would be very,very happy if Wayne Rooney decided to come to Bayern Munich,"Beckenbauer said."But is this a rumour or is it true?I don't know!"

Rooney has been linked with a move to a number of European clubs,including Bayern,Real Madrid and PSG,after being left on the bench for United's Champions League defeat to Real last week.

Although Sir Alex Ferguson revealed he hopes Rooney will extend his contract with the club,doubts remain over the England international's future.

Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton believes Beckenbauer's comments and rumours over Rooney's future do not reflect the Premier League leaders' attitude towards the 27-year-old.

"I think that is a bit premature (to question Rooney's future),"Charlton said."I don't know everything that happens at Manchester United,but I know a little.

"Wayne Rooney maybe has had an injury and has not performed as well as he might have done,but that doesn't mean to say that you get rid of him.

"Sir Alex Ferguson came out and said that he had no intention of letting Wayne Rooney go anywhere.You have to abide by that and I believe it,100%.He is a great player-why should we get rid of a great player?"

Damn.. i can actually see him making that move. SMH i hope we can somehow keep him this summer.

Jeez Louise...This Rooney talk needs to stop... The media (especially the UK media) love to sensationalize things. RVP was benched for the Chelsea match wasn't he? How come nobody's speculating his return to Arsenal (kinda sounds nice though)? People really think he's going to BM? I think this is much ado about nothing...

Yo, can we get some clips of Gus Johnson doing these matches?

NBA thread always had videos, y'all soccer heads to step your game up. Haha.

This Gus guy sounds crazy - Never heard him commentate but that Youtube video of him made me laugh out loud

Saw this funny footage on Fox Soccer last night. The animal is called a marten & it made it's way onto the pitch of the FC Thun vs FC Zurich match over the weekend. I hope that thing didn't have rabies...

I heard there was a funny vid of Rooney & Kagawa hugging & jumping up & down during a goal scored (I think it might've been the RM match), but I can't find it...

Gus is doing ok. He's making mistakes which is expected for someone that's never done futbol before. It does get on my nerves a bit that he gets so excited when the ball gets in the box but he's not any worse then some South American announcers I've heard over the years. He needs to listen to Phil Schoen over at Bein Sport. That dude is class & the pairing with Ray Hudson makes it perfect.

I was talking to a co-worker asking if he's heard any updates about the kid from Tampa FL, Julian Green whose in Bayern's youth academy. He hasn't heard how he's doing but he told me Barca has a South Korean kid, Seung Woo Lee whose apparently doing well at La Masia... I Googled him & found this... I was like :x.. :lol: at him being called the South Korean Messi... I'm a Barca fan but I didn't know about this. Guess I need to keep up more with what's happening at La Masia... Tried finding vids of Julian Green at Bayern but found nada...

http://soccerwithoutlimits.com/seung-woo-lee-barcelona/17754/

Gus is good in my book. He is new so he makes a little mistakes. Plus he gives off that good exciting energy. :smokin

So is Gus not going to be working March Madness at all?

:rolleyes
Naw he's with Fox now who obviously doesn't have rights to March Madness (CBS has them).

I like Gus because he's obviously new to the game and doesn't claim to be some expert. He essential looks at the game he same way I do and reads as much about the players and game as he can, which is also what I do :lol:

IMO he makes the game more connectable by default without blatantly dumbing down the commentary. Him getting pumped everytime the ball touches the box? I've been getting excited about that or any other opportunity that remotely has a chance to score :lol:

Gus' emotion/passion doesn't match the run of play. It will come with time, experience, and soccer knowledge. Often his raised voice represents a scoring chance, when really it's just Ronaldo or Rooney ripping a shot far wide from outside the 18.

Gus' emotion/passion doesn't match the run of play. It will come with time, experience, and soccer knowledge. Often his raised voice represents a scoring chance, when really it's just Ronaldo or Rooney ripping a shot far wide from outside the 18.

THIS THIS THIS

THIS THIS THIS

I agree too. The staccato & uneven delivery throughout the matches he's called so far are a bit jarring to me. Also the reading of Bios isn't & information like that isn't needed IMO but I guess we're stuck with him if you live state side. I hope NBC sports chooses wisely when they get the EPL. It's like having to eat a steak your mom over cooked when you were little. You have to eat it because your hungry & there's nothing else to eat...

Back
Top Bottom