The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by Noskey

Originally Posted by trunks206

2u5algw.jpg

Arshavin we love you. Name another player who'd wear a shirt with of pic of himself celebrating on it.

laugh.gif
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

The arrogance is almost too much
laugh.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
   #swag

It was a great win and perhaps its a win that'll get the monkey off of Arsenal's back. In hindsight, Arsenal's win over Chelsea means little now that we see that Chelsea have regressed significantly since around November. However, beating the best club in the world is very significant and if I am not mistaken this was Barca's first loss since September.

That being said, this tie is far from over and the club and fans should not get carried away. We all know Barca are an exceptional team that plays its best when at home. We must remember that Barca had about 4 clear cut scoring chances in the 1st half but only managed to convert one of them. Next time we might not be so lucky, so Arsenal will HAVE to defend better in the 2nd leg to close this thing out.

I personally dont make much of Barca's away goal because Arsenal can easily nullify it with 1 goal themselves at the Camp Nou. Further, it's not often that Arsenal get shut out and if Barca have any weakness, it is that they are a bit thin in defence at times (they sometimes leave major gaps at the back when pressing forward).

The 2nd leg is going to be great for a variety of reasons. The best club in the world is going to be aiming for 2-3 goals at home while Arsenal are going to have to decide between shutting up shop or using the same cautious counter-attacking approach that won them the match yesterday. To me this is like being a father and watching your two sons compete over something...it's hard to pick a side. If Arsenal win it'd be great for their confidence and they'd shake away a bit of their demons. If Barca win I can see them possibly making another CL run. An Arsenal loss wouldnt even be the worst thing in the world as the club could then set its sights on domestic affairs.

Either way, Arsenal are in position to advance in the CL and it'll be interesting to see what Wenger does in the 2nd leg. My bet is that Arsenal come out packing the middle and hoping to catch Barca on the break. If the score remains 0-0 at halftime then I'll bet Wenger parks the bus in the 2nd half. When it comes to protecting leads in the CL, Wenger is not afraid to "destroy"...it's when we were chasing matches that we suffered heavy defeats.

It was a great win and perhaps its a win that'll get the monkey off of Arsenal's back. In hindsight, Arsenal's win over Chelsea means little now that we see that Chelsea have regressed significantly since around November. However, beating the best club in the world is very significant and if I am not mistaken this was Barca's first loss since September.

That being said, this tie is far from over and the club and fans should not get carried away. We all know Barca are an exceptional team that plays its best when at home. We must remember that Barca had about 4 clear cut scoring chances in the 1st half but only managed to convert one of them. Next time we might not be so lucky, so Arsenal will HAVE to defend better in the 2nd leg to close this thing out.

I personally dont make much of Barca's away goal because Arsenal can easily nullify it with 1 goal themselves at the Camp Nou. Further, it's not often that Arsenal get shut out and if Barca have any weakness, it is that they are a bit thin in defence at times (they sometimes leave major gaps at the back when pressing forward).

The 2nd leg is going to be great for a variety of reasons. The best club in the world is going to be aiming for 2-3 goals at home while Arsenal are going to have to decide between shutting up shop or using the same cautious counter-attacking approach that won them the match yesterday. To me this is like being a father and watching your two sons compete over something...it's hard to pick a side. If Arsenal win it'd be great for their confidence and they'd shake away a bit of their demons. If Barca win I can see them possibly making another CL run. An Arsenal loss wouldnt even be the worst thing in the world as the club could then set its sights on domestic affairs.

Either way, Arsenal are in position to advance in the CL and it'll be interesting to see what Wenger does in the 2nd leg. My bet is that Arsenal come out packing the middle and hoping to catch Barca on the break. If the score remains 0-0 at halftime then I'll bet Wenger parks the bus in the 2nd half. When it comes to protecting leads in the CL, Wenger is not afraid to "destroy"...it's when we were chasing matches that we suffered heavy defeats.

Maxwell was making some ridiculous runs up the flank. smh...

And as someone else mentioned, something happened with Barca's midfield. Arsenal was all up in that #$@ and they were definitely struggling with making plays.

Camp Nou is a different story Gooners.

we'll see

And as someone else mentioned, something happened with Barca's midfield. Arsenal was all up in that #$@ and they were definitely struggling with making plays.

we'll see

And how often do you see Messi screw up 2-3 excellent scoring chances in the same match?

Despite Barca's missed chances, I think Arsenal won the match...not that Barca lost it. To be fair to Arsenal, although they looked disjointed for significant portions of the match, they had several good chances themselves but RvP was wasteful.

Some say that Barca took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd half but I think it was more of Arsenal pressing more and giving Barca less time on the ball. Subbing off Villa was kind of strange but I think Pep saw his club were losing their influence in the middle so he brought on Keita hoping to regain control of possession.

I think Barca will have a couple of defenders suspended/injured in the 2nd leg but I'm not too sure it'll make much of a difference. I expect Barca to dominate the ball and for Arsenal to sit back and force Barca to break them down. The 2nd leg might be very similar to Inter/Barca at the Camp Nou from last season.

And how often do you see Messi screw up 2-3 excellent scoring chances in the same match?

Despite Barca's missed chances, I think Arsenal won the match...not that Barca lost it. To be fair to Arsenal, although they looked disjointed for significant portions of the match, they had several good chances themselves but RvP was wasteful.

Some say that Barca took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd half but I think it was more of Arsenal pressing more and giving Barca less time on the ball. Subbing off Villa was kind of strange but I think Pep saw his club were losing their influence in the middle so he brought on Keita hoping to regain control of possession.

I think Barca will have a couple of defenders suspended/injured in the 2nd leg but I'm not too sure it'll make much of a difference. I expect Barca to dominate the ball and for Arsenal to sit back and force Barca to break them down. The 2nd leg might be very similar to Inter/Barca at the Camp Nou from last season.

Originally Posted by dgk3188

we'll see
Maxwell has generally been crap for Barca since arriving there. He's their only weakness (when you look at Barca individually) and they're going to have to do something about it next season. Either sign another CB so that Abidal can remain at LB when Pique or Puyol are out or start Adriano at LB. Maxwell was violated in the 1st leg vs. Arsenal last season and once again he was a liability yesterday as he was completely out of position when Nasri made his run leading to Arshavin's goal.

we'll see
Maxwell has generally been crap for Barca since arriving there. He's their only weakness (when you look at Barca individually) and they're going to have to do something about it next season. Either sign another CB so that Abidal can remain at LB when Pique or Puyol are out or start Adriano at LB. Maxwell was violated in the 1st leg vs. Arsenal last season and once again he was a liability yesterday as he was completely out of position when Nasri made his run leading to Arshavin's goal.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

we'll see
I just don't understand what dude was trying to do going all the way up like that.  Some defensive players do make runs up the wing, (Patrice Evra comes to mind) but I don't think Maxwell is the type of player that can handle that.  He doesn't have the vision, speed or play-making abilities to be doing things like that. 
tired.gif

we'll see
I just don't understand what dude was trying to do going all the way up like that.  Some defensive players do make runs up the wing, (Patrice Evra comes to mind) but I don't think Maxwell is the type of player that can handle that.  He doesn't have the vision, speed or play-making abilities to be doing things like that. 
tired.gif

we'll see
tired.gif
Trying to be Marcelo
pimp.gif

we'll see
tired.gif
Trying to be Marcelo
pimp.gif

Great game yesterday! Hopefully Arsenal can score an early away goal at Nou and settle in. A lot of the misses/stops by Barca were very lucky, especially at during injury time.
Can't wait for March 8.

Great game yesterday! Hopefully Arsenal can score an early away goal at Nou and settle in. A lot of the misses/stops by Barca were very lucky, especially at during injury time.
Can't wait for March 8.

Back
Top Bottom