The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Deal. As for you when Barca lose tomorrow

chelsea-badge.jpg

Deal.

Didn't watch but PSG/Blanc really screwed that up. My first reaction to what I read, was how much money they will spend in the summer :lol:

MLS, Atlanta discuss expansion
April 8, 2014
RECOMMEND241TWEET6EMAILPRINT
By Associated Press
ATLANTA -- Major League Soccer is closing in on a deal with Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank to bring an expansion franchise to Atlanta's new downtown stadium.

The team would likely begin play in 2017, when the $1 billion retractable roof stadium is set to open next to the Georgia Dome to provide a new home for the NFL Falcons.

"Our discussions with Major League Soccer continue, but we do not have a final agreement at this time," Kim Shreckengost, the chief administrative officer for Blank's AMB Group, said Tuesday in an email to The Associated Press. "We hope to complete the agreement soon, at which time we will make a formal announcement."

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has reported that a new team will be announced April 16.

"We are continuing discussions with Arthur Blank to bring a Major League Soccer expansion team to Atlanta," said Dan Courtemanche, a spokesman for MLS. "However, we have not finalized an agreement at this time."

The MLS has long coveted the Atlanta market, the largest in the U.S. without a team, as it moves toward its goal of expanding to 24 franchises.

The 19-team league has already announced expansion franchises in New York City and Orlando that are scheduled to begin play next season, in addition to a provisional franchise in Miami owned by a group that includes David Beckham. That team is contingent on a deal for a new soccer-specific stadium in south Florida.

There are no such concerns in Atlanta, where the Falcons' new stadium was designed to accommodate an MLS team, providing Blank with additional revenue streams for the elaborate facility.

While most MLS teams are moving toward smaller stadiums that are built solely for soccer, the Atlanta franchise would follow the model of teams in Seattle and Vancouver, which play in larger facilities downsized to provide a more intimate setting. For instance, Vancouver's BC Place has a curtain system that blocks off the upper deck, reducing capacity from 54,000 to 21,000. Atlanta's new stadium will likely have a similar capability.

Atlanta had two franchises in the old North American Soccer League. The Chiefs won the league's first championship in 1968 but folded after the 1973 season, having spent their final year known as the Apollos.

The Chiefs returned to the NASL in 1979 when the Colorado Caribous moved to Atlanta. That incarnation lasted only three seasons, never drawing as many as 8,000 fans a game before folding due to heavy financial losses.

Atlanta has a team in a new version of the NASL, a league that ranks below MLS on the U.S. soccer ladder. The Silverbacks play at a 7,500-seat stadium on the outskirts of the city and are apparently not involved in talks on the MLS expansion team.

Open training underlines Martinez's approach
Posted by Luke O'Farrell
RECOMMEND9TWEET0EMAIL

Everton, as planned, held an open training session at Goodison Park on Tuesday morning. Just under 4,000 supporters turned out to watch the first team being put through their paces by Roberto Martinez and his coaching staff.

Among those present was Duncan Ferguson, the newest member of Martinez's backroom team, back kicking a ball on this hallowed turf for the first time since his retirement in May 2006. The one-time centre forward received a warm ovation from those in attendance.

The pre-match events in the Fan Zone, mostly geared towards the younger members of the fan base, provided a fun element while fans waited for the session to begin. Face painting and goal scoring/shooting competitions were among the numerous activities on offer.

The goalkeepers were first out, though without Tim Howard, who trained with the remainder of the first team, with goalkeeping coach Inaki Bergara overseeing the training of Joel Robles and two prospects from the youth setup.

The use of Howard was an interesting one. He trained with the outfield players rather than the goalkeepers, with a clear focus on touch and technique. This helps underline Martinez's belief that all players should be comfortable in possession.

Returning to the goalkeepers, there was an innovative diving segment in which Bergara fired a shot goal bound and all three dived in symmetrical fashion to save it, even though, obviously, only one could. They then moved onto exercises testing reflexes, catching, kicking -- short and long -- and throwing.

The final exercise, which involved Bergara and the three goalkeepers, ensured a thorough examination of the aforementioned attributes with each of the traits tested in quick succession. The trio continually swapped positions over the course of the exercise.

While this continued, the first team arrived to the sound of Z Cars soon after, with players wearing either the away shirt or the third kit. The use of the shirts soon became clear, as players threw or gave their tops to a handful of the young supporters gathered in the Park End stand.

Tim Howard in Everton training.
GettyImages
Goalkeeper Tim Howard trained with the outfield players during Everton's open training session on Tuesday.

Sufficiently recovered from the facial injury suffered against Arsenal, Leon Osman played a full part in the session alongside his teammates and is expected to feature in the squad at the weekend.

Outside of those suffering long-term injuries -- Darron Gibson, Arouna Kone and Lacina Traore -- only Phil Jagielka, who is being eased back to full fitness, and the injured Steven Pienaar were absent.

Antolin Alcaraz appeared to have put his recent injuries behind him, with the defender involved throughout, while Magaye Gueye, in particular, seemed keen to impress. On this evidence, he's a much better player on the training pitch.

Beginning with light jogging and stretching, the majority of the players then switched between possession-based drills and fitness work for the remainder of the hour. The squad was split into three groups for this segment.

The passing drill comprised of a basic five-on-two concept, with the two trying to intercept passes as the five looked to keep the ball. Possession changes triggered various running exercises, namely the swapping of players from group to group.

The fitness program was broken down into stretches, jogging, and a stint on the exercise bikes present at pitch side. These two drills formed the nucleus of the session, although extra work fell to those who did not feature prominently against Arsenal.

Towards the end, Tyias Browning and Luke Garbutt began crossing duties as Osman, Alcaraz, Gueye, Aiden McGeady, Gerard Deulofeu and Tony Hibbert tried to convert them in another possession-based drill.

A slight variation of this drill brought the session to a close, but not before two goalkeepers paired with those listed above (minus Browning and Garbutt) to contest a four-on-four match. Hibbert scoring drew one of the louder cheers of the morning.

Giving supporters, especially the younger ones, a chance to watch their heroes in action, this annual event is a nice gesture from Everton. The young fans lucky enough to catch one of the players' shirts will have left with a smile on their face.

For others, this delivered further insight into the methods of Martinez and the passing style that underpins his footballing outlook. The Blues' boss was a keen observer throughout whilst occasionally taking players to one side to impart some words of wisdom.

This was a productive venture for all involved, from the manager and his players to the supporters in the stands, and the players are raring to go for the trip to Sunderland this weekend, as the race for fourth continues.

Mbalula ups Boks, Proteas quotas
Mon, 07 Apr 2014 7:54 AM
Your Email
The Springboks sing their national anthem. AFP PHOTO
The Springboks sing their national anthem. AFP PHOTO
The Springboks, the Proteas and Bafana Bafana will be banned from representing South Africa at international events if 60 percent of the on-field team is not made up of black players.

Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula said that a new quota for black player representation would come into immediate effect as there was a "lack of willingness in implementing transformation, especially the enforcement of quotas".

Mbalula had a meeting with provincial MECs over the weekend, where the decision was taken to up the quota system from 50% to 60% representation of black players across all the national teams, especially rugby, cricket, football, netball and athletics.

The new quota would take effect immediately, with the rest of the resolutions to be implemented before the new government takes office following the May 7 general elections.

The sports mininster said that any sporting body that fails to comply with the new quota would have its funding pulled and the ministry of sport would block any sponsorship of the sporting code. The bidding and hosting of sports events would also be illegal without government approval.

"[We will] withdraw the national colours of any federation that is hell-bent on the current set-up and status quo," Minister Mbalula said in a Times Live report.

"The Minmec [ministers and MECs] recommended that it must happen right away. We are going to engage and inform rugby and all the other sporting codes that this is something that has to happen.

"[We will be demanding] development plans from the South African Rugby Union, South African Football Association, Cricket South Africa, Athletics South Africa and Netball South Africa as a matter of urgency and with immediate effect."

"Transformation is not going to be easy so we have to talk to them. I have instructed my people to engage the private sector equally because they are the biggest investors in sports transformation and sports in general," he said.

The SA Rugby Union and Cricket South Africa have called for more clarity on the new resolutions, while Sasco president Gideon Sam and Lions cricket coach Geoff Toyana were in favour of the new resolutions.

Staff Reporter

Last edited:
You could have done better AZ. Like a picture of a Mou Chelsea related. He's a Barca fan, he hates Mou.

I (Barca fans) dont hate Mou...his record against us is like 1 win 99 losses. He actually made us look better by playing defensively. He wins 1 title then bails. Dont hate or like him...just indifferent.

Reus beasted today. Wonder how much Bayern will buy him for now

Apparently his buyout clause only opens up sometime in the 2015 season. With Lewa already going, and Gundogan potentially leaving, don't expect to see Reus going anywhere anytime soon.

Apparently his buyout clause only opens up sometime in the 2015 season. With Lewa already going, and Gundogan potentially leaving, don't expect to see Reus going anywhere anytime soon.

Plus Reus has said he always hated Bayern as a kid and will never play there

Don't even know how i feel about the Real game. Di Maria should have finished the pk but Dortmund should have had 4 goals at least. But what is done is done and Real is through i suppose. I'd like to see Real vs Chelsea in the Semi's

only team I dont want to see is Real. And thats just because I don't want to face a pissed off Ronaldo trying to get back at Jose.

Already know we can beat Barca or Bayern.

People talk about PSG "free spending ways" but Chelsea has already spent $164.4 mil in the transfer market since Jose came back. $102.5 mil if you subtract Mata's fee off that. That's a lot of dough.

Not really. 115 million pounds worth of players bought. 63.5 mil worth of players sold.

So net spending on players is 49.5 million pounds. Stop crying. Spurs, United, and City all spent more than we did.

only team I dont want to see is Real. And thats just because I don't want to face a pissed off Ronaldo trying to get back at Jose.

Doubt you'd beat bayern .. Pep owns mou , besides you won't get the chance united is going through :pimp:

Especially after he was barking orders like a young SAF on the sideline, he's going to come onto the pitch like that pitbull in that barbershop video. :smokin

I'm now convinced jada & ibis are one in the same. The ibis account is just another way for jada to troll & toss out terms like "stop crying"... :lol:

In USD, $164.4 mil

View media item 907242
If you take the Mata transfer which was £37 mil, converted into USD is $61.9 mil..., $102.5. Am I missing some other transactions?

Last edited:
I'm now convinced jada & ibis are one in the same. The ibis account is just another way for jada to troll & toss out terms like "stop crying"... :lol:

In USD, $164.4 mil

If you take the Mata transfer which was £37 mil, converted into USD is $61.9 mil..., $102.5. Am I missing some other transactions?

So now stating facts is trolling? K.

And yes you are missing transactions. Chelsea's full list of transfers: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/chelsea-fc/transfers/verein_631.html

So yeah….stop crying about what Chelsea spends and worry about your own damn club.

Dortm
Dortmund announced the Adrian Ramos signing on their FB page.

I missed you posting this... Should be a decent replacement for the departing Lewa. Ramos is in the top 5 of top Bundesliga scorers right now. Always see his highlights here & there. I can't wait to Bundesliga again even though it's on Fox...

Back
Top Bottom