The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

If Jozy is a bust then Shea definitely has flopped as well.

Geoff Cameron is leading the way for Americans abroad :lol:

Don't forget about Howard. Shea is a bigger flop to me. At least he was getting playing time on loan, now he's with the reserves if anything :smh:

FrightenedPleasantDormouse.gif

:lol:

Last edited:

Jozy needs to be fed goals. Sunderlands system fits a striker who can create and play off the ball.
That's what I assumed, but I wasn't sure.
I disagree with both statements. 

Sunderland's system fits a striker who can bang out and hold the ball up for 90+ minutes week after week, Jozy's adequate but that's not his game at all.  Other than that Sunderland are an abomination in all phases of attack. I would definitely agree that movement off the ball is one of Jozy's weaknesses but any movement off the ball that doesn't entail digging your elbow into the throat of a center back and battling for arial position is completely wasted on this Sunderland team. For a long time I tried to watch them weekly to keep up with Jozy but after a couple of months I couldn't even bear it, they're simply painful to watch. I'd much rather watch UC Berkeley's Mens team on any given Saturday. People say there are squads in the Championship with superior midfields and I don't doubt it for a second. 

Jozy definitely doesn't need to be fed goals. He's never been a poacher or a clinical finisher who thrives off the opportunities others create for him. When in form and actually scoring he's always been very adept at creating his own opportunities.  If you look on youtube there's a HD compilation of every goal Jozy scored in the Eredivisie and 95% of them feature short combination play with teammates to get in behind, dribbling or muscling through defenses, and a few long range efforts. He does need an open and free flowing style of attack which is why a lot of fans said he should avoid all but a few  EPL sides before he ever even made the move. 

Jozy's individual problem with Sunderland is he's getting one single measly chance a game and he passes it up every time because his confidence is shot.  Prime example last week vs Liverpool when Jozy received the ball at his feet while on the move near the top of the box, showed a nice bit of deception and skill to semi cruyff it onto his left creating a pretty big pocket of space for himself right at the top of the box, and instead having a go he clearly hesitated before passing it off to one of his useless teammates who happened to be offsides. This time last year Jozy would have taken a shot in that situation without hesitation and probably scored. Sunderland sucks **** and Jozy has allowed his situation to affect his confidence to the point where he doesn't even look like he has a desire to score goals which is inexcusable.  This isn't anything new, when the USMNT attack was completely inept early in JK's tenure and Jozy's confidence was low, he didn't score goals, when he was 19 and on a equally terrible Hull team, he didn't score goals. It's concerning because he's 24 now and to me it shows a serious lack of mental toughness.

I still wonder what might have been this season if he didn't have that great individual goal against Arsenal wrongfully disallowed early in the season. Would have done wonders for a player who struggles terribly without confidence.
Brek Shea has been a flop in the EPL too, no?
I wouldn't write Brek Shea off just yet either. He's got certain undeniable abilities, another U.S. player who's deficiencies lie between the ears. That said many a winger with less athletic ability and equal skill and/or brains have been able to achieve sustainable success with lower tier EPL sides.  All accounts from Stoke's preseason were that he was impressing. Then he got injured. When he came back he looked rusty to me but not at all out of place in the EPL.  From what I understand he was clearly the best player on the field for Barnsley in his handful of appearances. I just worry about his work ethic and training habits. 
you guys wanna know why brek and jozy are epl flops? cause nobody from the USMNT is very good
I'll never understand what American fans of the game stand to gain from ******** on the USMNT and it's players. It really must be an inferiority complex thing. 

Last edited:
I agree with most of what ice city fc ice city fc said but I'll also add his biggest problem is his mental fortitude. Over here he's a big fish in a small pond so to speak & there specifically in the Prem he's a very small fish in a very big pond. He's used to everyone telling him how great he is & how great he will be & he doesn't necessarily have that in the Prem. We Americans coddle young athletes waaay too much at a young age.

I wholeheartedly agree that Sunderland plays terribly & their play (or lack there of) hinders players like Jozy. Ya'll know how I feel about football in the Prem. It's like watching dinosaurs slowing dying in tar most of the time.

Football in the Championship is a lot better (from what I've seen). It's more free flowing with more attacking football. The players are also trying to prove themselves so you see much more effort.

beIN Sports broadcasts their games & I'll watch from time to time. You will see sloppier play however...

List of the top 100 young players in the world. Born after 1/1/92

#IBWM100 FOR 2014

No introduction needed, this is The IBWM 100 For 2014. They were all born on or after 1/1/92. If want to know more about why we chose these players, read this. You can download a pdf version here. For media enquiries, mail or tweet us.
Nation

Player

Club

Position

Algeria

Saphir Sliti Taïder

Internazionale

Midfielder

Argentina

Ángel Correa

San Lorenzo

Midfielder

Gerónimo Rulli

Estudiantes

Goalkeeper

Juan Iturbe

Hellas Verona (on loan from Porto)

Forward

Mauro Icardi

Internazionale

Forward

Australia

Mathew Ryan

Club Brugge

Goalkeeper

Austria

David Alaba

Bayern Munich

Midfielder

Louis Schaub

SK Rapid Wien

Midfielder

Martin Hinteregger

FC Red Bull Salzburg

Defender

Belgium

Adnan Januzaj

Manchester United

Midfielder

Maxime Lestienne

Club Brugge

Midfielder

Michy Batshuayi

Standard Liège

Forward

Romelu Lukaku

Everton (on loan from Chelsea)

Forward

Thibaut Courtois

Atlético Madrid (on loan from Chelsea)

Goalkeeper

Thorgan Hazard

SV Zulte Waregem (on loan from Chelsea)

Midfielder

Yannick Ferreira Carrasco

AS Monaco

Midfielder

Brazil

Bernard

Shakhtar Donetsk

Midfielder

Coutinho

Liverpool

Midfielder

Dória

Botafogo

Defender

Lucas Piazón

Vitesse (on loan from Chelsea)

Forward

Marquinhos

Paris Saint-Germain

Defender

Neymar

Barcelona

Forward

Otávio

Internacional

Midfielder

Bulgaria

Simeon Slavchev

Litex Lovech

Midfielder

Cameroon

Vincent Aboubakar

Lorient

Forward

Chile

Nicolás Castillo

Universidad Católicá

Forward

Colombia

Éder Balanta

River Plate

Defender

Juan Quintero

Porto

Midfielder

Cote d'Ivorie

Serge Aurier

Toulouse

Defender

Croatia

Mario Pašalić

Hajduk Split

Midfielder

Mateo Kovačić

Internazionale

Midfielder

Czech Republic

Václav Kadlec

Eintracht Frankfurt

Forward

Denmark

Christian Eriksen

Tottenham Hotspur

Midfielder

Egypt

Mohamed Salah

FC Basel

Forward

England

Jack Wilshere

Arsenal

Midfielder

Luke Shaw

Southampton

Defender

Ravel Morrison

West Ham United

Midfielder

Ross Barkley

Everton

Midfielder

Finland

Tim Väyrynen

FC Honka

Forward

France

Adrien Rabiot

Paris Saint-Germain

Defender

Aymeric Laporte

Athletic Bilbao

Defender

Florian Thauvin

Marseille

Midfielder

Kurt Zouma

St Etienne

Defender

Lucas Digne

Paris Saint-Germain

Defender

Paul Pogba

Juventus

Midfielder

Germany

Julian Draxler

Schalke 04

Midfielder

Kevin Volland

Hoffenheim

Forward

Marc André Ter Stegen

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Goalkeeper

Mario Götze

Bayern Munich

Midfielder

Matthias Ginter

SC Freiburg

Defender

Max Meyer

Schalke 04

Forward

Maximilian Arnold

Wolfsburg

Midfielder

Niklas Süle

Hoffenheim

Defender

Ghana

Shadrach Eghan Kwesi

Twente

Midfielder

Greece

Stefanos Kapino

Panathinaikos

Goalkeeper

Hungary

András Radó

Szombathelyi Haladás

Forward

Hungary/Nigeria

Kenny Otigba

Heerenveen

Defender

Iran

Alireza Jahanbakhsh

NEC Nijmegen

Midfielder

Sardar Azmoun

Rubin Kazan

Forward

Iraq

Ali Adnan Kadhim

Çaykur Rizespor

Defender

Israel

Munas Dabbur

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Forward

Italy

Domenico Berardi

Sassuolo (on loan from Juventus)

Forward

Marco Verratti

Paris Saint-Germain

Midfielder

Mattia De Sciglio

Milan

Defender

Mattia Perin

Genoa

Goalkeeper

Latvia

Valērijs Šabala

Skonto FC

Forward

Mexico

Jesús Alonso Escoboza

Santos Laguna

Midfielder

Netherlands

Davy Klaassen

Ajax

Midfielder

Memphis Depay

PSV

Forward

Quincy Promes

Twente

Midfielder

Richairo Živkovic

Groningen

Forward

Nigeria

Imoh Ezekiel

Standard Liège

Forward

Norway

Valon Berisha

FC Red Bull Salzburg

Midfielder

Paraguay

Ángel Romero

Cerro Porteño

Forward

Poland

Arkadiusz Milik

FC Augsburg (on loan from Bayer Leverkusen)

Forward

Portugal

William Carvalho

Sporting Clube de Portugal

Midfielder

Russia

Andrei Panyukov

Dinamo Moscow

Midfielder

Scotland

Ryan Gauld

Dundee United

Midfielder

Serbia

Aleksandar Mitrović

Anderlecht

Forward

Andrija Živković

Partizan

Midfielder

Lazar Marković

Benfica

Midfielder

Matija Nastasić

Manchester City

Defender

South Korea

Son Heung-Min

Bayer Leverkusen

Midfielder

Spain

Daniel Carvajal

Real Madrid

Defender

Gerard Deulofeu

Everton (on loan from Barcelona)

Midfielder

Isco

Real Madrid

Midfielder

Keita Baldé Diao

Lazio

Midfielder

Koke

Atlético Madrid

Midfielder

Óliver

Atlético Madrid

Forward

Suso

Almería (on loan from Liverpool)

Midfielder

Sweden

Alexander Milošević

AIK

Defender

Mattias Johansson

AZ

Defender

Switzerland

Michael Frey

BSC Young Boys

Forward

Ricardo Rodríguez

VfL Wolfsburg

Defender

Turkey

Hakan Çalhanoğlu

Hamburger SV

Midfielder

Salih Uçan

Fenerbahçe

Midfielder

Ukraine

Maksym Koval

Dynamo Kyiv

Goalkeeper

Uruguay

Diego ***úndez

New England Revolution

Midfielder

Diego Laxalt

Bologna (on loan from Internazionale)

Midfielder

Wales

Ben Davies

Swansea City

Defender

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2013/12/18/ibwm100-for-2014

Last edited:
Buffalo Wild Wings played a joke on the New York Cosmos saying they;d pay for the team's meal if one of their players beats one of his employee's in an eating contest.

The employee was none other than competitive eater Kobayashi...

Man, I love that Cosmos shirt.

De Gea, Jones, Ferdinand, Vidic, Büttner, Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Giggs, Rooney, Welbeck

Lindegaard, Hernandez, Nani, Young, Fletcher, Januzaj, Kagawa

boggled.gif

Anyway... are those "chicken wings" boneless?  Thus making them just chicken nuggets?

Best lineup moyes could have picked. No way you play kag or jan, it's enough that buttner is gonna get raped, don't need anymore liabilities

Random stat I saw just now...

Since April 2003, FC Barcelona have partaken in 14 UEFA Champions League quater-final encounters. In that period, the blaugrana are undefeated, winning eight and drawing six.

:smokin

FORCA BARCA!!!

Last edited:
Random stat I saw just now...

Since April 2003, FC Barcelona have partaken in 14 UEFA Champions League quater-final encounters. In that period, the blaugrana are undefeated, winning eight and drawing six.

:smokin

FORCA BARCA!!!
Saw martino has a better record in first 50 games then pep

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom