The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Any truth to Wenger quitting at the end of the season? 

It just looks like rumors from the media. There's no apparent truth to it that I've come across to. I guess we'll have to wait until the end of the season. You never really know, like with SAF.

If Carvalho goes for 37 million pounds, I want 45 for Mangala this summer. That's what Porto should say.

I thought Carvalho was going to Arsenal but they won't pay that.

Apparently he wants to go to Arsenal, he's a fan...well so his friend says. But that's a lot of money considering that we also need to get other players. I don't know of any other DMs that we have been scouting off the top of my head. Ginter, DM converted to a CB and Wenger is very keen on him. Gonalons is still an option but the only problem with him is that he isn't as versatile. Carvalho will be a great buy for any club

:rofl:

Real Madrid rumored to be £25m bid for City's Joe Hart... I hope this isn't rumor but fact because it will make Barca's scoring ability on RM much easier... :D

Bayern can clinch the title today if they beat Hertha Berlin... Wrapping up the title in March. :x

Last edited:
Transfer window doesn't open until August bro, at least wait until after the world cup

The first commences at midnight on the last day of the season and ends on 31 August if a working day - or, if not, on the first working day thereafter, at a time determined by the Board.

abovelegit1 abovelegit1 seems to think I'm critical of Carlo in hindsight but I've been critical of him for a long time especially at PSG where his Paris side was 3rd in the Ligue Un table in December during his year there.

Carlo doesn't seem to trust Isco (or something). Yet almost every time he gets the little bit of playing time he plays fairly well. Isco doesn't necessarily have to play the 10 role. He can play a false winger role too which he did pretty well at Malaga.

I can see Isco wanting to leave if he continues not to play much. I don't think it will happen this year though.

Last edited:
just got back yesterday from madrid... been dog sick but even that couldn't take away from the experience.. got a couple videos of the chaos before the game.. man what an atmosphere, especially with a couple drinks on deck.. got a couple small vids from the game but again i was too lit to record much.. sorry

View media item 878462

(excuse the language)

When do you come back to the States Beans? Or are you stationed in Germany by your own decision?
sept 2015... funny how i even ended up going to el classico.. my wife bought me tickets to the manchester derby for christmas, the seller couldn't provide us shipping to the hotel we wanted to stay at nor could he do local pick up. The company offered us tickets to el classico instead (which were more expensive) for the same price as the derby, my wife and i love spain, especially madrid, so it was a no brainer.... deff going to old trafford next season though gonna do a reg game and probably a liverpool game or manc derby.. :smh: at how difficult epl tickets are to come by, especially the top clubs.. side note talked to my buddy and we are aiming for a dortmund/madrid game or a munich/united game... really don't wanna see my boys get raped so probably leaning more towards dortmund.

You know any dudes stationed in the Azores Beans? How does being stationed work anyways? You choose or they choose for you?

*Don't know anything about the military :lol:

Coupé It Coupé It yeah i know ppl there.. I'm a medic though so most of the ppl i know are in that field .. there is a lot of factors that go into choosing/getting a base, I have been stationed in england (2 yrs), san antonio (3 yrs, 8 months of that was in iraq) and now germany (will be here for four yrs total).. sometimes you have a say and sometimes there is only one place for you to go.. not everyone is as lucky as me when it comes to bases..

abovelegit1 abovelegit1 seems to think I'm critical of Carlo in hindsight but I've been critical of him for a long time especially at PSG where his Paris side was 3rd in the Ligue Un table in December during his year there.

Carlo doesn't seem to trust Isco (or something). Yet almost every time he gets the little bit of playing time he plays fairly well. Isco doesn't necessarily have to play the 10 role. He can play a false winger role too which he did pretty well at Malaga.

I can see Isco wanting to leave if he continues not to play much. I don't think it will happen this year though.

Not at all. I was referring to your criticism of his tactics in El Clásico which imo is groundless as I explained. He's had critics over the years, so fair enough on that front. He's always been a better cup manager than a league one.
Isco is a massive talent, but he doesn't really have a place in the 433 they're using right now. They played a 4231 at Malaga so he had two holders behind him to do the dirty work. He's not good enough defensively to play in a mid 3, and playing him as a forward isn't rational when you have a 100m euro one already and it isn't an optimal fit. When they do play him they change the system to that 4231, but than Di Maria isn't playing. And Isco isn't better than Di Maria.
I do think he should have joined City, though. He could have displaced Nasri in their current set-up.

Not at all. I was referring to your criticism of his tactics in El Clásico which imo is groundless as I explained. He's had critics over the years, so fair enough on that front. He's always been a better cup manager than a league one.

Isco is a massive talent, but he doesn't really have a place in the 433 they're using right now. They played a 4231 at Malaga so he had two holders behind him to do the dirty work. He's not good enough defensively to play in a mid 3, and playing him as a forward isn't rational when you have a 100m euro one already and it isn't an optimal fit. When they do play him they change the system to that 4231, but than Di Maria isn't playing. And Isco isn't better than Di Maria.

I do think he should have joined City, though. He could have displaced Nasri in their current set-up.

I'll agree that Carlo won the tactical battle early. Tata's use of Neymar left Alves badly exposed but I think he had to start Neymar to show confidence in him as he's done with the likes of Alexis & Cesc (among others). Tata's trust in his players has paid dividends this campaign & I think Neymar's starting/playing was an attempt to jump start his production.

I love what Tata did using Cesc. Most people tend to say he played awfully but he had the unsung job of bossing the midfield in an effort to control possession which worked beautifully. It didn't look like he did much to the average fan but Cesc did a great job helping Xavi clean things up so to speak.

Both of their plans had drawbacks & it was going to be left to who performed better & made the least amount of mistakes. I knew from jump or rather I had confidence in Tata leading his side more than Carlo. Since leaving Milan, Carlo tends to get in the way of himself sometimes & over complicates things and/or fails to address changes in momentum until waaay after the fact.

Last edited:
#mufc starting XI vs @MCFC: De Gea; Rafael, Ferdinand, Jones, Evra; Carrick, Cleverley, Fellaini; Mata, Welbeck, Rooney

#mufc subs: Lindegaard, Büttner, Fletcher, Kagawa, Young, Valencia, Hernandez

Manchester City FC ‏@MCFC 3m
TEAM NEWS: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany (C), Demichelis, Clichy, Yaya Toure, Fernandinho, Nasri, Silva, Navas, Dzeko #MCFC

8533647684_0977b1d576_o.gif

Last edited:
I'll agree that Carlo won the tactical battle early. Tata's use of Neymar left Alves badly exposed but I he had to start Neymar to show confidence in him as he's done with the likes of Alexis & Cesc (among others).

But you also have to see how he used Cesc. Most people tend to say he played awfully but his did the unsung job of bossing the midfield in an effort to control possession which worked beautifully. It didn't look like he did much to the average fan.

Both of their plans had drawbacks & it was going to be left to who performed better & made the least amount of mistakes. I knew from jump or rather I had confidence in Tata leading his side more than Carlo. Since leaving Milan, Carlo tends to get in the way of himself sometimes & over complicates things and/or fails to address changes in momentum until waaay after the fact.

Not sure why you brought up Cesc, as I was talking about the flank situation the whole time. Showing confidence in a player is nice and all, but had Benzema put away a couple more chances, Martino would be answering questions about losing La Liga. Both plans had drawbacks, but it was Ancelotti who edged it and put his side in the best position with his set up that had Di Maria shading over and creating overloads. It's not his fault his players didn't take advantage nor is it his fault they defended clumsily for the pens. You can say you had more confidence in Martino leading his side but that's just arbitrary and has nothing to do with what happened tactically in this particular match.

And speaking of Cesc, I had no problem with his starting, but he didn't boss anything. He was the least effective midfielder on the team, and often failed to track Modric. Barça controlled possession but didn't control the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom