The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

From the graphic I just saw, looks like Mata is starting out wide. I think he'll disregard Moyes' plan and drift right into that 10 hole...

Here we go.  
nervous.gif

Not sure why you brought up Cesc, as I was talking about the flank situation the whole time. Showing confidence in a player is nice and all, but had Benzema put away a couple more chances, Martino would be answering questions about losing La Liga. Both plans had drawbacks, but it was Ancelotti who edged it and put his side in the best position with his set up that had Di Maria shading over and creating overloads. It's not his fault his players didn't take advantage nor is it his fault they defended clumsily for the pens. You can say you had more confidence in Martino leading his side but that's just arbitrary and has nothing to do with what happened tactically in this particular match.

And speaking of Cesc, I had no problem with his starting, but he didn't boss anything. He was the least effective midfielder on the team, and often failed to track Modric. Barça controlled possession but didn't control the game.

I acknowledged the flank situation you mentioned but countered stating it seemed a necessity to start Neymar for stated reasons. I'll also add that Neymar did contribute in some manner as his diagonal run created the contact with Ramos. His run into the box also helped create the goal Messi had (I think it was him).

I brought up Cesc as a matter of tactic shown by Tata. I thought he did help control possession in the midfield. I also thought he did neutralize Modric as well. I not sure how you didn't see that. Even the pundits saw what I mentioned.

http://www.barcablaugranes.com/2014/3/23/5540380/post-clasico-thoughts

Fàbregas did the unglamorous job beautifully.

It was clear from the start of the game that Fàbregas had been assigned the job that needed doing but wouldn't get any headlines. He was there to break up Madrid's midfield and stop Luka Modric. Fàbregas was never going to be the one on the newspaper covers tomorrow but you can tell he did his job well by the fact Modric was barely seen all game

Also from BBC's site.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26690402

Cesc Fabregas (forward) - 7

Did well to provide the link between midfield and attack for Barca and played a part in the build-up to his team's first two goals. Also created a good first half chance for Messi with a through ball.

But I guess people will see what they want to see. :rolleyes :D :lol:

As far as who had the edge between Carlo & Tata, I think the final result speaks for itself. Winning the possession battle really helped Barca solidify a win at the Bernabeu at a crucial moment in the campaign. Tata seemed hell bent in doing everything possible to win that possession battle especially given the way he had Cesc play.

Any other points about anything being arbitrary is well, arbitrary... :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom