The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Went to a bar to watch the game with a bunch of RM fans. Feels good man. 

Messi 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The foul was legit but the red card on Ramos was excessive. I was hoping Barca would go ham with RM down to 10 especially since Tata subbed in Pedro & Alexis.

I'm very happy for Tata as he's much maligned in Barcelona by Catalans. He's held his own with poise, dignity, & grace despite Cules calling for his firing, the Neymar transfer controversy, & the leadership upheaval.

He's stuck to his guns, continued with this rotation policy, & gotten a lot of production out of players that had been struggling (some more than others) for the last 2 years.

I hope he stays. I also hope Zubi & company reinforce the back 4 properly this summer. This team doesn't need a massive overhaul to become consistently dominant again.

Quite frankly this RM side should've rolled on Barca with the talent it has but Ancelotti going to Ancelotti. I knew if this game was going to be close, it was going to fall to which manager was tactically better, what side either would field, & what substitutes were going to be made. I knew Tata would succeed in this area against Ancelotti.

As for the players, there is something t be said about championship experience. The old faithful really guided this team today despite some so so play from a number of Barca's players.

Let me be the first to say (especially since i criticize him often) that Pique played well today. Despite losing track of Benz on that header, he came back to defend well today & was key in helping to winning at Bernabeu today.

Can't wait to see Beans' pics whenever he posts them.

Great day for Cules!!!

Last edited:
Moyes has never heard of Carvalho, this is all SAF...along with any recent improvements in tactics

v3dOmst.png

Ahead of Sunday's match between Barcelona and Real Madrid, we will recall some vintage battles between the arch-rivals
NJlmSPH.jpg

25 October 1953 - Real 5-0 Barca. After Real win a protracted battle with their fierce rivals to sign the world's best player, Alfredo di Stefano scores twice in his first game against Barca
iUIFBgu.jpg

25 November 1960 - Barca 2-1 Real (agg: 4-3). Five-time European Cup winners Real lose for the first time in Europe as referee Reg Leafe disallows three goals. Real president Santiago Bernabeu says: "Leafe was their best player."
f39OHQ7.jpg

17 February 1974 - Real 0-5 Barca. With the world's costliest player, Johan Cruyff, in their ranks, Barca thump Real in front of their own fans, with Juan Manuel Asensi scoring twice. Cruyff led Barca to a first title in 14 years
1gdexCv.jpg

7 January, 1995 - Real 5-0 Barca. Almost exactly a year after another 5-0 win for the Catalan club, Real gain their revenge, inspired by ex-Barca star Michael Laudrup, who had played against Madrid 12 months earlier
9bTJ0n3.jpg

24 November 2002 - Barca 0-0 Real. Still incensed by Luis Figo's move from Barca to Real for £37m in 2000, one fan throws a pig's head onto the pitch in disgust at the Portuguese. The pig's head is now exhibited in Essen, Germany
lyQ4QnO.jpg

19 November 2005 - Real 0-3 Barca. Ronaldinho scores two wonder goals and produces a performance of such majesty, he becomes the first Barca player since Diego Maradona to receive a standing ovation at the Bernabeu
KY7X9k9.jpg

7 May 2008 - Real 4-1 Barca. Real win the title before they face Barca, so Spanish rules dictate the Catalans form a guard of honour as the champions walk onto the pitch. It is party time in the capital and the Real players respond in style
72UGM6R.jpg

2 May 2009 - Real 2-6 Barca. Pep Guardiola's team destroy Real with a mesmerising performance on their way to the title. Thierry Henry and Lionel Messi net twice apiece as an away team scores six goals for the first time in El Clasico
GLRDwF1.jpg

29 November 2010 - Barca 5-0 Real. In the first meeting of the season, a rampant Barca hand Real coach Jose Mourinho a drubbing in his first Clasico. Lionel Messi does not score, but his virtuoso display outshines rival Cristiano Ronaldo
1urwgnd.jpg

27 April 2011 - Real 0-2 Barca. Lionel Messi scores two late goals in this semi-final first leg, which ultimately proves enough to put Barca into yet another Champions League final. The match is bad tempered, with both Pepe and Jose Mourinho sent off for Real
WinCLBc.jpg

17 August 2011 - Barca 3-2 Real. At 2-2, the game looks to be heading to extra time before the majestic Lionel Messi scores with two minutes to go. Marcelo is then sent off for a tackle on debutant Cesc Fabregas and at the final whistle tempers flare, with Real boss Jose Mourinho poking Barca assistant manager Tito Vilanova in the eye and red cards shown to substituted players David Villa and Mesut Ozil
ixlZsky.jpg

21 April 2012 - Barca 1-2 Real. Pep Guardiola’s last El Clasico does not end as he would like as Cristiano Ronaldo scores again against Barca to take all three points at the Nou Camp. The visitors inflict on Barca a first home defeat in 55 games and deservedly so after a near-perfect tactical display; the hosts' first shot on target does not come until the 70th minute
AOF14W2.jpg

26 February 2013 - Barca 1-3 Real. With Tito Vilanova recovering from surgery, assistant coach Jordi Roura is unable to inspire his team to victory, as Cristiano Ronaldo outshines Lionel Messi, scoring two goals to take Real into the Copa del Rey final. Real trail leaders Barcelona by 16 points in the league, so a chance to book their place in the cup final holds extra importance for under-pressure Madrid boss Jose Mourinho
ibkNYhn.jpg

26 October 2013 - Goals from South American duo Neymar and Alexis Sanchez give Barca the 2-1 win. Brazilian striker Neymar's strike on his Clasico debut, a crisp finish after 19 minutes having been put through by Andres Iniesta, contrasts with the fortunes of Real's Welsh winger Gareth Bale - the former Spurs star makes only his second start for his new Spanish side but finds himself unable to influence the game, only managing two long-range shots which both miss the target

Last edited:
What a masterful performance from the current Ballon d'Or winner. Once again, he carried Real Madrid on his back for the victory today. He didn't cry when the calls weren't going his way, just goes out there and plays the game.

Messi on the other hand, did absolutely nothing today. All he did was prove how overrated he is. YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE FIFA.

What a masterful performance from the current Ballon d'Or winner. Once again, he carried Real Madrid on his back for the victory today. He didn't cry when the calls weren't going his way, just goes out there and plays the game.

Messi on the other hand, did absolutely nothing today. All he did was prove how overrated he is. YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE FIFA.
View media item 82504

Love the outcome of this game, love how everyone hypes up RM, they're good but they should have steam rolled Barca.
I also feel that the older players will slack off against ordinary teams but when it's time, they get their heads on straight and do work. Like today.

United fans, some good news (potentially). Looks like United have agreed to pay for a young promising Portuguese player from Sporting for 37 million pounds :wow:. William Carvalho. I see United is still suffering from the Ronaldo breakup :lol:

I personally think it's too much but hey what do I know when it comes to the genius that is Moyes.

Man United SIGN William Carvalho from Sporting for £37m, midfielder to arrive before the World Cup [People]

The People announce on Sunday that Manchester United have SIGNED William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon for £37m.

The article, written by Steve Bates, states the following:

William Carvalho is set to become Manchester United’s first big summer signing.

The Sporting Lisbon defensive ­midfielder’s agent was given a tour of the club’s Carrington training ground last week and Portuguese international Carvalho will sign for United for £37million before the World Cup finals in Brazil.

United boss David Moyes is also confident he can land Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos, who is keen to move to Old Trafford even though United will miss out on Champions League football next season.

The Angolan-born 21-year-old has a £37m release clause in his contract which United are prepared to trigger before the World Cup begins on June 12.

The news comes the morning after Sporting cemented their position in second place in the Portuguese top flight after beating Martimo 3-1 on the road. Moreover, William Carvalho scored the second goal of the game for Sporting in the win.

Whilst we wait for confirmation of the deal to be ratified from sources more credible that the People, it’s worth paying note to Carvalho’s current ownership structure in Lisbon.

The youngster has complicated ownership structure as Sporting only own 60% of Carvalho, while another company, BES, own 40%. Moreover, Carvalho is under contract at Sporting until 2018, and has a massive €45m buyout clause.

Watch William Carvalho’s goal for Sporting on Saturday at Martimo below.

2pac.gif

Now to sign Van Gaal. :nerd:

Moyes has never heard of Carvalho, this is all SAF...along with any recent improvements in tactics

It's actually so sad, yet so true. Moyes has been basically living in Everton's backyard looking at poaching Coleman, Baines, Barkley and suddenly out of nowhere he's in Portugal looking at Carvalho? This is all the work of SAF. SAF is basically going to continue to pull the strings and re-build this team.

They should really just fire Moyes, and hire Van Gaal (who can possibly hold onto the job until Klopp is ready- since LVG is known to not stick around too long).

By then there would be a good, younger and refreshed squad ready for a long-term replacement like Klopp.

Excited by carvahlo transfer. That's a lot of money for him, but he's 21 and if he comes close to the Patrick viera comparison than it'll be a bargain. Hopefully, he doesn't bust like bebe.

Excited by carvahlo transfer. That's a lot of money for him, but he's 21 and if he comes close to the Patrick viera comparison than it'll be a bargain. Hopefully, he doesn't bust like bebe.

Bebe came from the homeless world cup. Carvalho has been at Sporting youth academy from like 13. MASSIVE difference.

37m pounds for an unknown kid? :smh:

He's not an unknown. He's just unknown to you. The big boys have been rumoured to come knocking for this kid. Fact is, if United doesn't pay, someone like Chelsea/Citeh/Liverpool will.

My only concern, is that he needs the right coach to really flourish. Rene would have been perfect. But under Phil Neville?!?!?!?? I don't have much faith.

This is why new management and coaching staff is needed.

Last edited:
If Carvalho goes for 37 million pounds, I want 45 for Mangala this summer. That's what Porto should say.

I thought Carvalho was going to Arsenal but they won't pay that.

If Carvalho goes for 37 million pounds, I want 45 for Mangala this summer. That's what Porto should say.

I thought Carvalho was going to Arsenal but they won't pay that.

People are saying he'll come to United for less, but the bottom line is, that's his buyout 40m EUR.

I know folks are saying he's an unfinished product, but he's been playing well, at a relatively high level, and he's only 21 with a good few years left on his contract.

People are saying he'll come to United for less, but the bottom line is, that's his buyout 40m EUR.

I know folks are saying he's an unfinished product, but he's been playing well, at a relatively high level, and he's only 21 with a good few years left on his contract.

People are sayng what? Who you talking about. Mangala or Carvalho?

^ The only problem is United needs more polished players to field & not "unfinished products". That's a little too much money for Carvalho especially since they overpaid already & made panic buys in Fellaini & perhaps in Mata.

I also wouldn't say Moyes doesn't know who Carvalho is as he's been to Portugal several times over the last several months to see Sporting Lisbon, Benfica, & Porto games to scout.

Love the outcome of this game, love how everyone hypes up RM, they're good but they should have steam rolled Barca.
I also feel that the older players will slack off against ordinary teams but when it's time, they get their heads on straight and do work. Like today.

I thought the game was extremely entertaining but i would not say Barca steam rolled by any means. Real were very dangerous on the counter and honestly Benzema should have had 5-6 goals :lol: He missed a clear header and he had the ball cleared off the line by Pique (i believe). If Ronnie were in that situation he at least has a hat trick.

I thought messi played well but all the "messi hat trick" talk....2 were penalties...that he didn't even draw...sooooo he played well but didn't "shine" like people/media makes it seem, like he really outplayed CR7....eh not really

I thought the ref was wayyyy too important in the game. I thought the Ramos "foul" was super soft and didn't deserve a straight red....but his reputation basically made it a red. I did think it was a penalty though. I thought Ronnies PK was a pk at first glance even though it was outside the box. And the iniesta PK you see not called alllll the time in the EPL but i mean it was a foul. But when your last tough is that heavy and you probably aren't getting to the ball anyway you rarely see it called in england at least. I was just bitter because that was the difference in the game. A draw seemed fitting but the ref decided to make a call and basically influence the outcome which i hate to see. But all in all....it was one of the best games i watched all year...back and forth had me jumping up and down a lot.

^^^^ I'm going to have to agree with you on that. the press would make you believe that Barca went out and dominated this game. It was far from. Wasn't a Barca vs Real performance from 3-4 years ago. I really think Real just got unlucky with the penalties and even more so the red card. It's impossible to continue to play Barca as tough as they did in the first 60 mins with only 10 men, everything changed there, tactically and momentum wise.

Besides that red card on Ramos, he had a horrible game. He was responsible for Barca's first goal. Pique didn't have a good game either tho, that Barca back-line was suspect too. Real made uncharacteristic mistakes on defense that they haven't made in a long time. Maybe they needed a game like this to bring them back to reality and humble them. Might sound weird but I think this was a good loss for Real.

Going to be a great finish to the season tho.

People are sayng what? Who you talking about. Mangala or Carvalho?

My bad, I was speaking of Carvalho.

Back
Top Bottom