The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

rooney has every right to act this way.
he was carrying united on his back for a couple seasons, but as soon as they signed rvp, they just kicked him to the curb.

^ Rooney is in his own made hell, he wanted united to sign better players. Enter RVP, who just happens to be a better forward, and he's upset the very thing he wanted happened. Just because 25 million is being offered doesn't mean UTD have to jump at it, would be beyond stupid for UTD to let him go to Chelsea. I don't fault him though, he is a player that deserves playing time.

I highly doubt United's acquisition of RVP was done to appease Rooney, so it's not really a self made hell.

And when he wanted better players to come in, he probably meant marquee names that can actually supply him from the midfield and wings, not for their lone top signing to be a player who would battle for his spot in the starting XI. That would be like how Derrick Rose was unhappy with Bulls management and instead of getting Dwight Howard they got Chris Paul.

Also, there was nothing wrong with how Rooney played. His run was crucial in opening the chance for the RVP goal, and he assisted on the Welbeck one. Dudes really expecting Rooney to act excited about that when he has a perfect situation waiting for him in Stamford Bridge.

Yes he's getting paid well, and might not be an elite player, but he's been England and ManU's superstar for a very long time. And now he's rotting on the bench during the prime of his career. There's more to life than money. You can't just pay someone to be happy. He went out and played like a professional, but people wanna get upset when he keeps it real and stays true to himself and doesn't fake excitement about a third and fourth goal in a match that was already decided?

Last edited:
I agree man, Rooney had to live behind Ronaldo's shadow for years, Man United catered more to Ronaldo on the pitch. Then he thought once CR7 left, the team would run and continue to be led by him but then they got RVP and his position was altered once again.

I also understand United tho. They can't do what Arsenal did and sell him to a rival.

It can be settled by Rooney leaving England (which I don't think he wants). This situation is a mess.

Also, there was nothing wrong with how Rooney played. His run was crucial in opening the chance for the RVP goal, and he assisted on the Welbeck one. Dudes really expecting Rooney to act excited about that when he has a perfect situation waiting for him in Stamford Bridge.

Yes he's getting paid well, and might not be an elite player, but he's been England and ManU's superstar for a very long time. And now he's rotting on the bench during the prime of his career. There's more to life than money. You can't just pay someone to be happy. He went out and played like a professional, but people wanna get upset when he keeps it real and stays true to himself and doesn't fake excitement about a third and fourth goal in a match that was already decided?

Yes, fan expect players to get excited over there teammates scoring in a game. Don't see how you find this strange. Moyes can not let him go to stamford bridge, SAF wouldn't allow that and he will follow that mold. Noone is upset he didn't fake excitement, people are just poinitng out how it tells the tale of where his hand is at. Kind of like how Torres sat on the bench and stared as everyone celebrated Ba's goal last season.

Just got into footy and maybe its been discussed before...but why wont United just start with 2 strikers in their top 11?

OX could be out for 2-3 months, ligament issue.
Wenger: "Gibbs has a deep cut, Sagna, Rosicky has a problem. Ramsey with a kick on his ankle."
Wenger hasn't adapted to changes in the game and as much as us gooners love him, something has to change. Even among the board, a bunch of old men who care about financials.

Last edited:
^ what's santi's deal? fitness or injury issue?

I think he played around 70 minutes on Wednesday plus he was coming from Ecuador. Wenger was trying to rest him so he could start on Wednesday. I think he's not as fit as he can be. For it being his first season in the EPL last year. He played majority of matches, where he played 90 minutes or close to. And then he had the Confed Cup. So I wouldn't be surprised if he's not a full match fitness. But I heard it looked like he picked up a knock during the match with Spain, he was able to walk it off just fine. And I don't think Wenger said anything about it in his press conference. I do feel bad because he made a mistake and got booed. Sagna and Gibbs are doubtful for Wednesday.

Just got into footy and maybe its been discussed before...but why wont United just start with 2 strikers in their top 11?

Because United doesnt have a quality attacking playmaking midfielder who can get them the ball. Maybe Kagawa can fit the role but United's been reluctant to change the system since the system has won them championships.

I personally would love to see United play a wide 4-1-2-1-2. But they've never played a central midfielder so high before. Lets see if Moyes has the balls to change things up in European competition.

Feel bad Rooney is stuck with them ***** at united but I feel like the epl is b/t city :pimp: and Chelsea so I'm glad they're holding him hostage

The main thing United is lacking is a midfield. Fact remains their midfield was just getting bossed by Swansea the first 1/3 of the game up until the RVP goal out of nowhere. But they can't continue to rely on RVP just singlehandedly winning them matches.

Sell Rooney and use the money to buy some midfield help. If you have a surplus at striker, but a deficit in the midfield common sense tells you to sell the striker and add some midfield. Because if Welbeck continues the form he's in, and having Chicha on the bench too...it becomes pretty stupid for United to keep Rooney when they don't need him and he's clearly ready to move on.

Was Kagawa injured or something? This kid is the next great #10 in the world along the likes of Ozil, Mata, Muller, Gotze, etc and United just leave him rotting on the bench. :smh:

I like watching Liga MX games when I can... Especially when the Americans like Herc & Bease are playing...

Just came back from watching Orlando City beat Charlotte... They had a really good supporters group....

laugh.gif
sick.gif

Little known fact, but my best friend is basically an identical twin of RVP 
laugh.gif

the similarities are uncanny

I agree man, Rooney had to live behind Ronaldo's shadow for years, Man United catered more to Ronaldo on the pitch. Then he thought once CR7 left, the team would run and continue to be led by him but then they got RVP and his position was altered once again.

I also understand United tho. They can't do what Arsenal did and sell him to a rival.

It can be settled by Rooney leaving England (which I don't think he wants). This situation is a mess.

Oh, but they did centre the team around him...

Ronaldo left Manchester United in 2009.
Van Persie joined Manchester United in 2012.

Rooney had 3 seasons as being the main man.

In that time the following players were added:

Antonio Valencia (2009) Winger.
Michael Owen (2009) Striker.
Gabriel Obertan (2009) Striker.
Javier Hernandez (2010) Striker.
Chris Smalling (2010) Defender.
Phil Jones (2011) Defensive Midfielder.
Ashley Young (2011) Winger.
David De Gea (2011) Goalkeeper.

There wasn't a single signing that was meant to rival Rooney. In fact, the signings were all meant to either support the forward movement, plug holes or add depth.

During the years of 2009-2012 Rooney's total appearances to goals:

2009-2010 Appearances: 44: Goals 34
2010-2011 Appearances: 40: Goals 16
2011-2012 Appearances: 44: Goals 34

During those same years United's finished:

2009-2010: EPL: 2nd Place CL: Quarterfinals
2010-2011: EPL: Champions CL: Runner's Up
2011-2012: EPL: 2nd Place CL: Group Stage (3rd Round)

The purpose of all of this, is just to simply illustrate, that Rooney had 3 whole seasons where he was the main man. He put up the numbers, on two of those seasons, and performed well. But in October 2010, what does Rooney do? He hands in a transfer request "because the club could not match his ambitions". This is Manchester United we're talking about. Look at the success he was enjoying, he was part of the current Champions, the manager was adding players, letting him play where he wanted, and still this wasn't enough for Rooney?
Rooney keeps on complaining about wanting to play up front. But Rooney has always played best when he's had a strike partner and played slightly deeper allowing him to run onto the ball and cause havoc for defenders. People said Rooney and RVP couldn't work out well together, look at them when they started gelling last season, they were stupendous. But it became very apparent that RVP's talents were shining more than Rooney's, and he couldn't handle that.
Rooney shouldn't go to Chelsea, because that's just stupid business, but he needs to go to a club where he will be the marquee name, because it's quite apparent, he can't handle being in the shadow of someone playing better than him. In that regard, I don't think he'd fit in at Chelsea mentally, with the likes of Mata, Hazard already shining, and soon Lukaku will begin to shine (although he is only 20 at this point).

At this point, I would prefer to see Rooney sold out of England, let Kagawa take the 10 role, and let's keep it moving.

I was listening to a pundit yesterday saying, Rooney's acting like that 10 role is a bad position to play. He was saying when he was growing up, EVERYONE wanted to be the 10. Create, score, assist and rarely have to trackback and defend, what more could a footballer ask for :lol:. Rooney is acting like management is asking him to play in Carrick's position.

Back
Top Bottom