The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

That's a cop out. You want to know why so many greats have joined United? or Arsenal? Or Chelsea? Because SAF, Wenger and Mourinho have all picked up the phone and convinced a player of their belief in the player, and convinced them to join. Moyes copped out and just kept saying "Ed is is handling that, not me personally". You're the bloody manager!!! The buck stops with you. The choices of the team are up to you. You tell your executive to start negotiations, and then YOU close the deal. Watch that Ozil interview recently, he said that the reason he joined Arsenal was cause how Wenger contacted him personally, and made him believe he would be valued at Arsenal, about 24 hours later, Ozil is busy holding up an Arsenal jersey. That's how the managers at the top in the EPL do it.

Moyes just didn't want to look like he failed in the transfer market. Which technically he didn't, cause he never even participated in it. But all he did was fail to show he had any balls or control of his situation and team, and look how it's showing now. Players aren't even giving their all for him....

Kagawa is absolutely brilliant in the 10, but he can't do anything if his team is told to cross the ball in from the wings all the time. Watch Kagawa when he has creative players around him that play centrally, the dude works magic. But with Evra crossing in to the middle hoping Rooney or RVP will do the rest of the work, Kagawa can't do anything. The reason Rooney can shine in that environment is cause Rooney is used to that style of play, Kagawa isn't. And it would be a waste of his talent him even taking the time to learn that style...rather leave.
You really think wenger had that much say? I think it's one of those things players say to be respectful of the manager and club, like how everyone grew up as a fan of their new club. Özil would have been guaranteed starting time at most teams in Europe, he's just one of those players.. What dictated his move was a club willing to pay his transfer fee and his wages and also could provide Cl footy. He was offered to us too don't forget. Had we been interested and could beat arsenals transfer fee, he would be at united. Players joining city, Chelsea and more recently Monaco just prove history and managers have little to do with a player wanting to join anymore... It's all about the money. Blaming moyes for inheriting a team of uncreative players is pointless. He couldn't have solved that in one window , no one could. And in sorry blaming those uncreative players for kagawa's form is a cop out... Rvp and Rooney have both played brilliantly with those same players.

Btw we have always been a team that relies heavily on our wingers and crossing the ball

Last edited:
That's a cop out. You want to know why so many greats have joined United? or Arsenal? Or Chelsea? Because SAF, Wenger and Mourinho have all picked up the phone and convinced a player of their belief in the player, and convinced them to join. Moyes copped out and just kept saying "Ed is is handling that, not me personally". You're the bloody manager!!! The buck stops with you. The choices of the team are up to you. You tell your executive to start negotiations, and then YOU close the deal. Watch that Ozil interview recently, he said that the reason he joined Arsenal was cause how Wenger contacted him personally, and made him believe he would be valued at Arsenal, about 24 hours later, Ozil is busy holding up an Arsenal jersey. That's how the managers at the top in the EPL do it.

Moyes just didn't want to look like he failed in the transfer market. Which technically he didn't, cause he never even participated in it. But all he did was fail to show he had any balls or control of his situation and team, and look how it's showing now. Players aren't even giving their all for him....

Kagawa is absolutely brilliant in the 10, but he can't do anything if his team is told to cross the ball in from the wings all the time. Watch Kagawa when he has creative players around him that play centrally, the dude works magic. But with Evra crossing in to the middle hoping Rooney or RVP will do the rest of the work, Kagawa can't do anything. The reason Rooney can shine in that environment is cause Rooney is used to that style of play, Kagawa isn't. And it would be a waste of his talent him even taking the time to learn that style...rather leave.
You really think wenger had that much say? I think it's one of those things players say to be respectful of the manager and club, like how everyone grew up as a fan of their new club. Özil would have been guaranteed starting time at most teams in Europe, he's just one of those players.. What dictated his move was a club willing to pay his transfer fee and his wages and also could provide Cl footy. He was offered to us too don't forget. Had we been interested and could beat arsenals transfer fee, he would be at united. Players joining city, Chelsea and more recently Monaco just prove history and managers have little to do with a player wanting to join anymore... It's all about the money. Blaming moyes for inheriting a team of uncreative players is pointless. He couldn't have solved that in one window , no one could. And in sorry blaming those uncreative players for kagawa's form is a cop out... Rvp and Rooney have both played brilliantly with those same players.

Btw we have always been a team that relies heavily on our wingers and crossing the ball

Yes Wenger had that much of a say. You can't compare the likes of Arsenal and United to oil rich clubs. Oil rich clubs can match or beat any TF or any wages. The point is, Ozil was offered up, right at the last second. Ozil DID NOT have to leave. He could have stayed, waited and created a bidding war at the next window. Plenty of players have done that. Players in the past have dragged their feet to stall deals. Or, Ozil could have issued a "come get me" to any of the oil rich clubs, and signed for a massive payday. Ozil was only offered up, because if I'm correct he said he wanted to leave. Don't get it twisted, do you really think that if United came to the party with David Moyes at the head, that Ozil would want to play for him? :rofl: get real man. These accomplished CL players aren't trying to play under a cross and header defensive minded manager who's won absolutely nothing. If anything all they need to look at is how he's done Kagawa. No top creative player wants to be sitting on the bench while Young, Anderson and Cleverley get game time.

RVP and Rooney are different kind of players. Some players can create pretty much something out of nothing. Other players, need to feed. Ozil is one of them, if Ozil has no one to feed, you think he'll look like a superstar? The same goes for Kagawa. They're not number 9 strikers, nor are they Messi's. They're creatives who feed strikers, generally from good supply from one of the other mids.

SAF tried to change United's style of play just a few years ago, when he saw City and other teams using the diamond formation successfully, and realized that the old run down the wing and cross it in style was outdated. Barcelona absolutely demolished his tactics as well and that was a major wake up call. I remember him saying he's never been so comprehensively beaten in his life. But he didn't have the time to overhaul the team and win, within the few short years he had left, so he reverted back to his old ways to get that last win.

You can say SAF left him with a weak mid. But let's keep it all the way 100, there were plenty of names on United's TF that could have been bought. Realistic names. (Thiago, Strootman, Herrara etc) Moyes could have re-built his squad, but he sat on his chair and did nothing saying Ed handles all of that. If United signed any 3 quality midfielders this passed summer, it would have been a different conversation to what we're having now (whether he actually knows what do with all that creativity).

SAF also said, keep his backroom staff for now, to make the transition easier as they know the players, but Moyes didn't listen and those clowns don't know the current United.

Face it, Moyes made a series of bad decisions that has now led him to where he is now.

Today is the big day!!!!! WC DRAW

Please don't put the US in a group of death....Please let us get out of the group stage...(team number two is Italy...then anyone other then germany...hoping to watch Belgium play though)

Just for the sake of making a prediction, I'll say the US goes in Group D with Uruguay/Nigeria/Portugal.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the US gets into a good group. Wish I could watch it but I'll be at work :\
Once again, RIP to this great man
img

Hey City fans what's going on with Jovetic, seeing as Arsenal "missed out" on him. I thought he would feature a bit more
Don't know why City even signed him. I think he's probably played only about 2-3 times this year and don't remember if it was a EPL game or not either. I thought he would of had more of an impact than Negredo would, but that man is cooking right now.

I also hope Aguero stays it wouldn't feel like City without him.

Last edited:
Hey City fans what's going on with Jovetic, seeing as Arsenal "missed out" on him. I thought he would feature a bit more
Don't know why City even signed him. I think he's probably played only about 2-3 times this year and don't remember if it was a EPL game or not either. I thought he would of had more of an impact than Negredo would, but that man is cooking right now.

I also hope Aguero stays it wouldn't feel like City without him.

Sky sports reports

Stevan Jovetic's agent insists that the Manchester City striker has settled into life in England, despite suggestions he could be set a return to Italy in January.
Injuries have restricted Jovetic to just three Premier League appearances for Manuel Pellegrini's side so far this season and he's fallen way behind Sergio Aguero and Alvaro Negredo in the pecking order for a starting place. He can still play an important part for City as the fixtures come thick and fast over the holiday period but he needs to focus on staying fit if he has any hope of a regular starting role.

didn't know injuries played a part just kinda thought Negredo + Aguero were in better form. It would be hard to start anyone over those two right now honestly

ESPN FC opened their show with the crew talking out Mandela's passing during the first 7 minutes of the show.

In my conversation with abovelegit1 & to everyone in general, I mentioned Cesc not performing well in the false 9 role so far this campaign. In the 15 games Cesc has appeared in, he played 6 in an advanced role scoring only 1 goal. When playing central midfield in 9 games, Cesc has scored 5 goals & 9 assists... :rolleyes

Don't think a big club like city was the right option for Jovetic. I was never overly impressed with him at Fiorentina and thought he needed to go to a mid tier EPL club before a big club to get experience and prove himself. That's why i didn't want Chelsea to sign him when it was rumored

Back
Top Bottom