The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Have to agree with Eiddy, what the hell is the president of football disclosing who he thinks is best and what he prefers. It's not good business sense. Sepp Blatter should be so lucky to have two of the greatest football players battle it out for the top spot, Pele and Maradona never had such fierce a competitor in the media during there times.

Imagine if David Stern said I like LeBron and Kevin Durant, but I prefer ______. The media would go insane, they'd call for his head. If the president of football doesn't have the business savvy or common sense to be impartial what is he doing being the president? Then he apologizes thru twitter with his 1st grade English lol. Come on dude, this is professional?

FIFA and UEFA need a young educated business man as president. Enough of Blatter or Platini (whose even more stuck in the 1950's). Someone whose driven and can actually keep there mouth shut and out if the spotlight and I don't know - maybeeee, actually, - try do something with the huge elephant in the room (racism) that for some reason is treated like a slap on the wrist. New blood!! Football is in dire need of a revolutionary facelift.

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:
What is CNS?

I have always wondered who was faster. American football players or footballers?
Central nervous system.

Im guessing soccer players would be a tad bit faster since they are considerably smaller than a lot of football players, but what's crazy is that football players can be pretty fast with a lot of muscle mass on them. If the US soccer team had the same type of players, they would be a really serious threat in terms of physical strength to all the other nations. I'm not talking exagerated fat, like some football players, more so, pure muscle and strength. I mean, even now playeres like Jozy were throwing around panama players like it was nothing, all physical strength. Add the height into the equation + a top tier coach with good technique and you're basically brewing a top 5 team.
Oh I already know about American football players since I played slot receiver in high school.(I'm an idiot :smh: )
Not to mention all the pads they wear, the helmet itself is pretty heavy as well. I kinda wanna see CJ2K race CR7
But like you were saying, if the US had that type of physicality and everything else you mentioned, they would be up there.

I remember racing my Brazilian friend back in middle school who played as a winger(IIRC), and he just left me in the dust :x

CR7's reply seemed to be dripping with sarcasm. Made me laugh.

Chelsea should have beaten Arsenal based on the quality of the squads, so job done. Still a tin cup...but at least it stretches Arsenal's drought by at least 3 more months.

Oh and Sepp Blatter has a movie of life coming out next summer, be sure to check on it!! We're all so interested to find out more about how Blatter's life, yay.

This is our "president" and "leader" of football lol.

Last edited:
It's gonna be missing 99% of his real life AKA all the corruption and greed. The last straw was Qatar and Russia getting the world cup over Spain/Portugal and USA

Last edited:
Oh and Sepp Blatter has a movie of life coming out next summer, be sure to check on it!! We're all so interested to find out more about how Blatter's life, yay.

This is our "president" and "leader" of football lol.
I wonder if they are gonna show all the under the table money dealings he does ?

I don't like seeing Cesc playing the false 9 either however he's played well at times in that spot. He's actually played well in a variety of roles Tata has asked him to play.

I wasn't sure how to feel about seeing Messi play wide right. I thought it might have to do with not being match fit but then I thought playing wide right would make him have to chase the ball more which is something he's not used to. Wasn't sure if he was even fit for a role like that.

Zonal Marking had an interesting point about the Clasico in a recent post.
We'll see how this evolves over time I guess. Can't wait to see the game today to see how they respond after the Clasico vs Celticos...

Saw that Zonal Marking post. He's always a good read, but depending on how you look at it, there are points of contention.

Regarding Cesc, he notes his central position helped Barça in possession, but in Tata's system they aren't exactly trying to monopolize the ball. They played a medium defensive block, so they were always going to allow Madrid spells of possession. They pressed, but not to the extent they did under Pep and his extreme high block. Pep sacrificed shape for pressing in numbers which made for huge possession figures, Martino favors single pressing the ball but maintaining shape, and Tito was somewhere in between. So if helping maintain possession is all your nominal central attacker is providing you - when it's not even the highest priority - then it's not the best fit. I don't think he had a single shot or created chance. Would much rather have a goal-threat with pace and movement to get in behind - especially with so many players capable of slipping in through-balls. IMO, Tata's selection came down to circumstance, and the desire to fit his four best midfielders into the side. I agree with you in that Cesc has largely done well so far this season -despite being moved around.

Can't say I agree with his point on Barça without the ball. Marcelo wasn't venturing forward much at all - certainly not to the extent he usually does. If you look at the average positional chart for this game and their game against Juve, Marcelo is definitely withdrawn. It's also a bit of a fallacy to suggest most of the attacks came down that flank. Of course they came down that flank, CR plays on that flank and he will get his touches. They weren't able to build that many attacks, but the ones they did manage were always going to come from there. The crucial point is that CR didn't have the space, options, or opportunity he usually does.

I'm not sure how you feel about Tata, but I really like what I've seen so far. His line up changes & substitutions have been very astute. Today Tata kept out Masch, Pique, Xavi, Iniesta, & Neymar today in favor of Puyol, Bartra, Song, & Pedro.

He kept Messi at the right, put Pedro on the left, & Alexis in the central role he was used to playing in at Udinese. This left Song & Busquets in the midfield with Cesc playing centrally behind Alexis. This is the first game so far this season where I've seen Messi dribbling the ball so freely like the magician he is. He didn't score but he had some beautiful assists to Cesc who bagged a deuce today.

It seems like pushing Messi out wide has enabled Cesc, Alexis, & Pedro more direct lines to the goal as Messi often takes at least 2 defenders with him when he has the ball. I really like the way Tata has used Cesc to dictate the tempo of the game whether as a attacking mid or false 9.

Tata really seems to have a pulse on this team despite only being manager for a short time. It's like he's been in Europe for a long time. I guess there is still much to prove specifically in the later rounds of the CL but I feel confident we have a manager that can teach & lead with a great understanding of the game...

I honestly don't see what the big fuss us about with this guy. Brazil has 20 other forwards like him if not better IMO. I don't think he has the quality to be in Spain's 23 man squad either... As we say in Mexican culture, es un "tronco"

I don't even think it's the fact that he's a decent player as to why he will be destroyed "if" he makes the squad for Brazil 2014. I think it's just the fact that you shouldn't turn on your country, no matter what. But that's just my opinion and the way I see it. Scolari said he'd take him to Brazil if the World Cup started now, I hope Del Bosque leaves him out haha. I'm cool with Fred and Jo though, all they have to do is finish.

Last edited:
Prior to the Confed Cup, Brazil's forwards were inconsistent, except for Hulk who continued to have a poor work rate during the Confed Cup. Scolari should've called Costa for the national team a long time ago & perhaps prevented this from happening. I think Costa might've chosen Spain out of spite.

Not a big fan of Scolari. Another one of those coaches that's set in his ways & refuses to change/adapt. He thinks he can approach everything the same way he always. He's the only thing that could hold back the national team from winning the WC... Prior to being hired the second time for the NT, Scolari was managing one of Campeonato Brasileiro oldest & proudest teams Palmeiras. They ended up firing him back in Sept '12 because he lost 9 of 13 games. I think they were relegated after the season too.

Just realized FIFA's coach list didn't include Diego Simeone... That's a travesty considering what he's accomplished in a short amount of time at Atleti. :smh:

Last edited:
Lets just discuss the lack of games being played on Comcast compared to say, Direct TV . This whole NBC Sports, FS1, and BEIN isn't cutting it anymore.

Lets just discuss the lack of games being played on Comcast compared to say, Direct TV . This whole NBC Sports, FS1, and BEIN isn't cutting it anymore.

If you have DVR, I'd suggest using the guide search feature & search by Soccer & start recording all the games & programming you find interesting. I find a lot of football programming that way.

I'd also recommend getting the Spanish language programming package because they have a lot of soccer games via on ESPN Deportes, FOX Deportes, beIN Sport Espanyol. FOX Deportes has different games from what FS1 shows. Often times they're the better CL games.

If you have DVR, I'd suggest using the guide search feature & search by Soccer & start recording all the games & programming you find interesting. I find a lot of football programming that way.

I'd also recommend getting the Spanish language programming package because they have a lot of soccer games via on ESPN Deportes, FOX Deportes, beIN Sport Espanyol. FOX Deportes has different games from what FS1 shows. Often times they're the better CL games.
 This. I got the Spanish package for DirectTV and i get a bunch of games from different leagues. The commentary might not be the greatest on some channels, but at least you are able to watch multiple live and replay games.

Talking about BeIn sports, I'm more than happy with the service. Ever since I got beIn sports it's been great, especially for watching Spanish league games. Since these dudes literally play at 11pm in Spain, makes it easy to watch the games here. Like Real play at 5:00 local time today, I'll be able to watch some of the game.

EPL should take notice if the crowd in the states are getting bigger. There an hour behind Spain but still have the earliest games.

Looks like the CBF are starting to make things petty... I obviously don't know inside info but from outside looking in, it seems to me that Big Phil should've come to Diego a lot sooner & avoided this mess... I think the CBF & the Brazilian government should focus on making sure the infrastructure is in place in time for the WC over taking legal action in this...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/584/bra...osta-loses-brazilian-citizenship?ICID=HP_BN_4

CBF demand Diego Costa loses Brazilian citizenship
By Henry Jackson50
Oct 30, 2013 4:10:00 PM
The 25-year-old has caused controversy by opting to play for Spain rather than the country of his birth

The CBF (Brazilian Football Federation) have revealed their desire to strip Diego Costa of his Brazilian citizenship and aim to start legal proceedings to prevent him from playing for Spain.

The 25-year-old Atletico Madrid star has caused huge controversy by opting to play for La Roja, despite representing the country of his birth, Brazil, in two friendlies earlier this year.

Now the CBF's juridic director Carlos Eugenio Lopes wants to see action taken against Costa.

"It's obvious that the reason he made that choice was financial," Lopes told O Globo.

"The chairman (José Maria Marin) authorised me to open a legal action at the Justice Ministry requesting that he loses his Brazilian citizenship, which Diego Costa has rejected.

"I have no doubt that he was allured. He suffered two hours of peer pressure from the Spanish on Monday night and another two hours on Tuesday morning.

"Diego Costa talks about love on the letter he sent CBF, but he chose Spain in the same year he played two friendly matches for Brazil and now on the same week he has been called up for two other friendlies.

"CBF was willing to fight for the player. Legally, our arguments are pretty strong because the friendlies are good enough for the Fifa ranking.

"Switzerland's 1-0 win over Brazil was what helped them go up to seventh and guaranteed them as head of selection for the World Cup draw. If they didn't consider the friendlies, would Switzerland have been seventh? No, that spot would've gone to Italy.

"The chairman told me that Costa has proved he's not fit to be part of the Scolari family, that he would contaminate the family because he's not committed to Brazil, but to Spain.

"He rejected his Brazilian citizenship. Marin has asked me to study the situation deeply in order to keep him from ever playing for Spain.

"He told me that, from now on, Costa is 'persona non grata' at the national team and that the players themselves wouldn't welcome him because of that episode."

Should Costa be allowed to represent Spain, it could potentially see him face Brazil at next summer's World Cup in his homeland.

Last edited:
PSG confirm 200M/year (!!!) sponsorship deal with the Qatar Tourism Board.

Or, "How I told UEFA to shove FFP up their collective *****."

Prior to the Confed Cup, Brazil's forwards were inconsistent, except for Hulk who continued to have a poor work rate during the Confed Cup. Scolari should've called Costa for the national team a long time ago & perhaps prevented this from happening. I think Costa might've chosen Spain out of spite.

Not a big fan of Scolari. Another one of those coaches that's set in his ways & refuses to change/adapt. He thinks he can approach everything the same way he always. He's the only thing that could hold back the national team from winning the WC... Prior to being hired the second time for the NT, Scolari was managing one of Campeonato Brasileiro oldest & proudest teams Palmeiras. They ended up firing him back in Sept '12 because he lost 9 of 13 games. I think they were relegated after the season too.

Just realized FIFA's coach list didn't include Diego Simeone... That's a travesty considering what he's accomplished in a short amount of time at Atleti. :smh:

Yeah. Palmeiras was relegated that season, and they won the state tournament which have them access to the Libertadores. They were a second division team playing it lol

They just secured promotion back couple days ago. Odd fact about that 0-0 game, was their uniform. They were the colors of the Brazilian NT not the usual dark green uniform they usually play in...

Last edited:
Dog, imagine brazil playing Spain in the WC, and Spain winning 1-0 in elimination rounds with a Costa goal... :x

Yeah. Palmeiras was relegated that season, and they won the state tournament which have them access to the Libertadores. They were a second division team playing it lol

They just secured promotion back couple days ago. Off fact about that 0-0 game, was their uniform. They were the colors of the Brazilian NT not the usual dark green uniform they usually play in...

I always liked their dark green kits, but I like green kits in general. Not enough teams with green kits IMO.

Dog, imagine brazil playing Spain in the WC, and Spain winning 1-0 in elimination rounds with a Costa goal... :x

It will be interesting to see how this plays out both with the CBF possibly taking legal action (which is petty IMO) & what will happen if they meet at some point.

If Costa had Spanish parents or something like that I would understand it. But if he isn't of Spanish decent, and wasnt born there......or even raised since he was a child there.....it doesn't make sense to me why he plays for Spain. But then again, this isn't Zlatan or RVP we are talking about, its Diego Costa. Its not a huge deal

Na, I'm gonna have to disagree. This is a pretty big deal, Brazil could have def used Costa as there number 9. He is that good. I agree tho he should not have done it, makes no sense. This is your country we're talking about.

I have no problem with the CBF and Brazilian fans complaining and being angry. Revoke his citizenship is extreme tho. He will never be welcomed back in Brazil anyways, he may never have the guys to live there again - that's punishment enough.

Don't know Brazilian constitution at all. Can't they really do that? In Mexico u can't, and here in the US u can't, right?

I hope Costa plays for Spain and just wreaks havoc at the WC.

The CBF has ZERO integrity. Why the f*$( would anyone after Diego Costa (in his similar predicament) want to play for Brasil now.

I hope Costa plays for Spain and just wreaks havoc at the WC.

The CBF has ZERO integrity. Why the f*$( would anyone after Diego Costa (in his similar predicament) want to play for Brasil now.

Because they're Brasilian.

Because Brasil has 5 stars on top of there badge.

Should I keep going?

Don't know Brazilian constitution at all. Can't they really do that? In Mexico u can't, and here in the US u can't, right?

I believe the rule in the US is if you plan to live in the foreign are permanently, you will have to renounce your citizenship. Brazil has a right to be angered by his decision but I agree with psk, it's partly their fault and seems petty at this point in time. Interestingly Sergio Ramos and Costa don't seem to get along.

Did you really ask why would anyone in diego costa position want to play for brazil after this? Really? Costa isn't playing for spain as a first choice, it's an FU to scolari for dragging his feet with his selection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom