The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Might be a dumb question but I recieved my Orient Mako, it hasn't been worn for a while so it is not moving/ticking,do I just need to put the watch on and it will wind up through wear or do I need to have it manually wound? Any help appreciated

IIRC, I don't think you can handwind the Mako. Just make a couple circular motions at least once a month so the oil can circulate.

IIRC, I don't think you can handwind the Mako. Just make a couple circular motions at least once a month so the oil can circulate.
Thanks repped, getting links taken out tomorrow so will be my daily watch so won't run into this issue anymore

I don't care how many people have this watch. I love it. This will be my gift for myself by the end of 2014. We all need goals. 

PRIME PRIME VSA are quality watches that have the same quality as the quartz timepieces made my other entry swiss companies like Tissot and Hamilton. I would try either one of those on before I would buy one, the XL and Maverick run big IIRC.

View media item 1030835
Probably the best $50 I spent on a rugged watch. I work in a mechanical environment so I needed a watch that will take a beating. I was looking at suunto's and g-shocks and came across this timex piece and I'm glad I did not spend $200+ on anything else.

View media item 1043770
Such a beautiful watch :smh:

PRIME PRIME VSA are quality watches that have the same quality as the quartz timepieces made my other entry swiss companies like Tissot and Hamilton. I would try either one of those on before I would buy one, the XL and Maverick run big IIRC.

Awesome. How would you rate it against a Steinhart? The Ocean Vintage to be specific? :nerd:

Just came across that. Those are looking like two of the Rolex Submariner homage's that I'm leaning towards the most.

Last edited:
Awesome. How hold you rate it against a Steinhart? The Ocean Vintage to be specific? :nerd:

Just came across that. Those are looking like two of the Rolex Submariner homage's that I'm leaning towards the most.

Steinhart, to me, is equivalent to other Swiss entry brands and Micro-Brands at the same price point like Tissot, Hamilton, Mido, Squale, etc. Try using watchrecon if you don't mind buying used or buy Grey-Market through Amazon, Jomashop, Ashford, etc.

Yes, the Nomos Orion is a beautiful elegant watch. Should get more recognition than it does.

Edit - Have you looked into getting an Invicta 8926OBv2 which is going for $80ish with the reliable Seiko NH35 which hacks and hand-winds? I myself cannot justify spending that much money on a blatant copy of the Rolex Submariner. Nice watch and specs but too close to the original for me but to each his own.

Last edited:
Awesome. How hold you rate it against a Steinhart? The Ocean Vintage to be specific? :nerd:

Steinhart, to me, is equivalent to other Swiss entry brands and Micro-Brands at the same price point like Tissot, Hamilton, Mido, Squale, etc. Try using watchrecon if you don't mind buying used or buy Grey-Market through Amazon, Jomashop, Ashford, etc.

Yes, the Nomos Orion is a beautiful elegant watch. Should get more recognition than it does.

Edit - Have you looked into getting an Invicta 8926OBv2 which is going for $80ish with the reliable Seiko NH35 which hacks and hand-winds? I myself cannot justify spending that much money on a blatant copy of the Rolex Submariner. Nice watch and specs but too close to the original for me but to each his own.

I have done some research on a few watches and the Invicta pro diver has come up as one that I checked out. I haven't heard too many great things about invicta watches though, so I'm not sure how to gauge the quality of them.

I'm not opposed to getting one, but I've held the Maverick in hand and I like it, but I could always be swayed by a cheaper price point :nerd:

A modded Pro Diver looks cool though

6829875839_749ac77db2_b.jpg

I might check into it and cop this instead of the Maverick and just go with the Chrono Classic.

View media item 1044415
My current everyday watch, Its a mechanical Timex from the early 1990s. Picked it up from a thrift store, it keeps time well but I have to wind it about twice a day, probably needs to be serviced.

Bought a fossil watch 2 years ago, bought 1 for my dad for fathers day, and copped me one... got stolen on campus, I refuse to buy another.

Not a traditional watch by any means, but I thought this should go here. I really wanted the Nighthawk, but I think I'm going to get this.

My brother said he wanted this as his wedding present.

Said he wanted a rubber strap so he can use it outdoors in sporting events.

$600 watch to play sports in? :smh:

Automatic watches + Sports = Disaster.

Yes a variety of automatics can handle various sports activities but why subject the watch to unnecessary wear and tear which will only hasten the watch's need for its next service. Better to get a quartz or solar battery watch like a G' Shock for sports activities but if your brother wants the watch, better to get something he actually likes and would actually wear.

Back
Top Bottom