the thread about nothing...

When a job with a significant salary bump comes up, even if that means Winnipeg

😳
I’m a LAUSD grad
….
06A8148F-842B-4C38-929F-5BFB6783E822.jpeg

In a bit of a weird situation at work.

I sourced a new transaction from one of my counterparts at another bank. Basically got a call from a guy, Bob, who asked if we’d be interested in putting money in a challenging deal that he’s working on. I said yes. The fee that they were initially thinking of paying (let’s just say it’s $250K), was too low for my boss to consider doing the deal within my group. Dude said he wanted $500K.

I went back and told Bob that we were struggling with the fee being offered and we need $500K to do it. Bob went back to the company that he’s working with, and they agreed to the higher fee.

I go back and get the approval to move forward, and my boss tells everyone that we will ask for $625K, an additional $125K. I’m like ok…I already went back and asked for double, now I’m going back again and asking for more? In my mind we’re getting greedy, because the return already works for us at a $500K fee. We’re getting a 30% net return on putting funds into this deal which is more than fair. The additional $125K would only boost the return to 32%. It just feels a little greedy and disingenuous to go back to the guy I have to work with on the next deal, and the next deal and be like hey so we’re good to go….only if we get $125K. I might push back on that. I’m all about the $$$ but it just feels shortsighted to keep going back for more after I said we need X amount, when the next few deals I work with Bob on will more than make up for the 2% return we’re missing by not getting that additional $125K on this one.

Not using real numbers but that gives you an idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom