the thread about nothing...

Last one I promise
image.jpeg

I completely get your solution Carrillo but in the prep book I'm using they solved it using ahat's method where the divided 60/2 and 4/2 so that's where the confusion is coming it.

Just trying to learn as much as possible to score well on this timed exam. Literally every minute counts

Could you point out where 60 is divided by 2? I originally solved it ahat's way as well, but you should be multiplying by 2 to get rid of the 2 in the denominator. Because when a number is in the denominator it is essentially the same as dividing the equation in the numerator by that number. So in this instance we multiply by 2. You can even look at the original equation like this:

20170907_102210.jpg

So the whole phrase on the right side must be multiplied by 2 in order to eliminate the 2 in the denominator which is why we get (60*2)=120. Then to further isolate the variable x we divide by 4 to eliminate the multiplication by 4. After that we subtract 20 to eliminate the additionan of 20 to x.

Man I'm terrible at math but what I did was trial and error and kept putting in numbers for x until I got an answer that got me 60

:rofl:

Thankfully it only took me two tries

I know doing it that way would be so wrong in school lmao and could potentially take forever

*edit

You can also use logic to solve the equation.

What would you need to multiple by 4 to get 60. The answer is 15.

OK. So you know that you need to get 15. The bottom is 2 so what's twice the amount of 15. That's 30. So it's a lot easier to guess what x is at this point.

Last edited:
Man I'm terrible at math but what I did was trial and error and kept putting in numbers for x until I got an answer that got me 60

:rofl:

Thankfully it only took me two tries

I know doing it that way would be so wrong in school lmao and could potentially take forever

This you on test day huh

200 (1).gif

Need to find a new blogsite...Not thrilled with the themes that Wordpress has to offer.

I wouldn't mind Squarespace, but I don't want to pay.

This you on test day huh

200 (1).gif

When I say I was terrible at math it was terrible in comparison to my other grades

Stuff like English, history, biology.. In high school I was getting high 90s

In math I was still a B student so I was ok

I didn't inherit my parent's work ethic but I got their brains :rofl:

I'm kinda the black sheep of my family. Think a family of overachievers and high earners and I'm considered the low earner as a nurse

Last edited:
Could you point out where 60 is divided by 2? I originally solved it ahat's way as well, but you should be multiplying by 2 to get rid of the 2 in the denominator. Because when a number is in the denominator it is essentially the same as dividing the equation in the numerator by that number. So in this instance we multiply by 2. You can even look at the original equation like this:

20170907_102210.jpg

So the whole phrase on the right side must be multiplied by 2 in order to eliminate the 2 in the denominator which is why we get (60*2)=120. Then to further isolate the variable x we divide by 4 to eliminate the multiplication by 4. After that we subtract 20 to eliminate the additionan of 20 to x.

That's my mistake. It's not dividing both at the same time, it's dividing 4/2 and then using the answer (2) and taking it to the other side to divide 60/2.

But could you explain why and how you could divide 4/2 first to solve this.

I included my own personal notes plus the review book IMG_6549.JPG

I'm sure there's a NTer still in high school somewhere looking at this thread and laughing at all of us

Don't worry guys we just old

I'm sure all of us when we were still in hs would've considered this an easy question

Another good yoga class today :pimp:
Best decision I made in recent memory was starting yoga

Been meaning to start yoga at the crib after work. My back is constantly in pain and I've heard yoga helps a lot. Any tips or YouTube video for beginners??

That's my mistake. It's not dividing both at the same time, it's dividing 4/2 and then using the answer (2) and taking it to the other side to divide 60/2.

But could you explain why and how you could divide 4/2 first to solve this.

I included my own personal notes plus the review book IMG_6549.JPG

Sorry, but I could not make out the text from your book in the picture. As far as dividing 4/2, you can treat 4 as part of the numerator and that's when you could divide 4 by 2 to get the phrase 2(x+20). Then you'd divide by 2 on both sides which gives (60/2)=(x+20).

20170907_112411.jpg

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom