The RETRO Gaming Thread!

0516ec1fc445f1602865431b4f897e78d46cfe.jpg

If y'all could relive/live one era in gaming, what would it be? Even a future/speculative one?

For me it's a toss-up between N64/PS1 (childhood), PS2/GC/Xbox (pre-teen/teen), or the day 4k144 is the minimum, and most resources go towards AI/simulation

If y'all could relive/live one era in gaming, what would it be? Even a future/speculative one?

For me it's a toss-up between N64/PS1 (childhood), PS2/GC/Xbox (pre-teen/teen), or the day 4k144 is the minimum, and most resources go towards AI/simulation
It was a close call for me between N64/PS1 (late grade school to middle school) and PS2/Xbox/Gamecube(HS to early college years) but I'd say the latter for PS2. GTA III was a game changer, still remember being blown away first time I played it. My buddy was telling me how fun it was and having played the previous overhead view games I wasn't sold until seeing it in person. VC and SA were great in their own rights too. So many hours playing all three games in my teen-early 20's.

It was a close call for me between N64/PS1 (late grade school to middle school) and PS2/Xbox/Gamecube(HS to early college years) but I'd say the latter for PS2. GTA III was a game changer, still remember being blown away first time I played it. My buddy was telling me how fun it was and having played the previous overhead view games I wasn't sold until seeing it in person. VC and SA were great in their own rights too. So many hours playing all three games in my teen-early 20's.

GTA III was a game changer! I was only 9 when it came out, but I had to have it. Still remember the cashier at TRU tryna convince moms not to buy it :rofl: first time I remember retailers being serious about ESRB. I had all kinda M games on N64, but after that they started gatekeeping M games unless an adult was with you.

But for the actual game, I didn't have a memory card when that came out, so I remember constantly having to restart, or getting in trouble leaving the game running. Think I made it through the whole first area one time before I had to start over. That was the game that got me a memory card :lol:

Deep down I want to say the N64/PS1 days because it basically set the foundation of my favorite gaming franchises that I still play to this day (Mario, Smash Bros, etc.), even though I was introduced to some of these franchises through the SNES/Genesis era of gaming.

However the one era I actually want to relive thinking even deeper now, the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/Dreamcast era of gaming.........mostly b/c I was forced to drop out of console gaming during that era due to my parents persuading me that "I spent more time playing games on the PC, and PC games were cheaper than console games."

I basically became a #PCMasterRace gamer during that era of gaming where Smash Melee, GTA, Halo, and Kingdom Hearts dominated the console gaming scene.

I missed out on a lot of classics from that era of gaming mostly b/c I was buried deep into Starcraft Brood War and Diablo I & II (and hate to admit it, ******* Runescape) on my PC at that time. I originally wanted to Gamecube during that time BUT my parents didn't want to pay a ******* nickel or dime for anymore gaming consoles at that point in time, and my family ended up getting a PS2 at the end of the PS2's gaming life cycle (b/c it was a cheap DVD player).

If I had relived that era, I'd be sitting on an original copy of Smash Melee, Mario Sunshine, and the first 2 Kingdom Hearts games at this moment. All I have left from that era, my old launch copies of the Starcraft Brood War collection, Diablo I & II, and the OG Age of Empires.

Dreamcast / GameCube

I didn’t have many games, but the games I did have kept my teenage mind entertained for what felt like an eternity...it took me months/years to beat Mario sunshine, sonic adventure and shenmue while playing franchises seasons in mlb 2k2 and madden

The hype for this was CRAZY for me. I was amazed with the leap from SA, but now I'd rather play SA

Gta 4 was cool I hated the driving tho I guess that was everybody’s main complaint.

I hope they make gta 6 for this gen

I think they were a bit too overambitious with this game. Some aspects of it were simply not fun and were a chore. Driving was not good at all. GTA V improved on it considerably.

joe billionaire joe billionaire I think the likelihood of a GTA VI depends on how RDR II fairs.

It would also be nice if GTA VI took place in Europe, S.America or the Middle/Far East.

I would have to say NES. I only vaguely remember us having an NES when we lived in my birth town for a several years.

It wasn’t until the SNES where it really became part of my life. It still continues to be my top system.

I had passed on the GameCube phase as all of my time went into computer games, but I have a GCN now and got all the games I need for it

Original Xbox days for sure.

The beginnings of Xbox Live, not renting or buying a game that didnt have the orange bar at the top.

Going to Blockbuster and taking the 2 month cards out of the display boxes.

Staying up all night playing Rainbow Six clan matches on Gamebattles.

Making online friends that youd play with almost everyday (I wonder what some of them are up to these days)

Reaching #4 in the world on NBA Inside Drive as a 12 year old.

Halo 2 MLG events.

I didnt want it to end lmao. I had so much fun during the OG Xbox days that I was kinda bummed when the 360 came out.

Deep down I want to say the N64/PS1 days because it basically set the foundation of my favorite gaming franchises that I still play to this day (Mario, Smash Bros, etc.), even though I was introduced to some of these franchises through the SNES/Genesis era of gaming.

However the one era I actually want to relive thinking even deeper now, the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/Dreamcast era of gaming.........mostly b/c I was forced to drop out of console gaming during that era due to my parents persuading me that "I spent more time playing games on the PC, and PC games were cheaper than console games."

I basically became a #PCMasterRace gamer during that era of gaming where Smash Melee, GTA, Halo, and Kingdom Hearts dominated the console gaming scene.

I missed out on a lot of classics from that era of gaming mostly b/c I was buried deep into Starcraft Brood War and Diablo I & II (and hate to admit it, ****ing Runescape) on my PC at that time. I originally wanted to Gamecube during that time BUT my parents didn't want to pay a ****ing nickel or dime for anymore gaming consoles at that point in time, and my family ended up getting a PS2 at the end of the PS2's gaming life cycle (b/c it was a cheap DVD player).

If I had relived that era, I'd be sitting on an original copy of Smash Melee, Mario Sunshine, and the first 2 Kingdom Hearts games at this moment. All I have left from that era, my old launch copies of the Starcraft Brood War collection, Diablo I & II, and the OG Age of Empires.

I played Diablo 2 like a mug for about 2 years.

Such a great game, I still remember getting my SOJ taken by some dude who said he could dupe it. (Give me a break I was like 10)

Countless hours were spent on that game. Never got into any other PC games other than that tbh.

PC RPGs are straight crack.

My friend that I played with, his parents would let him play PC but the thought of a console was like voodoo to them. It was kind of strange.

I miss those days, literally all I did was play sports, video games, hangout with friends and chat with the birds on aim. Such simple times.

I played Diablo 2 like a mug for about 2 years.

Such a great game, I still remember getting my SOJ taken by some dude who said he could dupe it. (Give me a break I was like 10)

Countless hours were spent on that game. Never got into any other PC games other than that tbh.

PC RPGs are straight crack.

My friend that I played with, his parents would let him play PC but the thought of a console was like voodoo to them. It was kind of strange.

I miss those days, literally all I did was play sports, video games, hangout with friends and chat with the birds on aim. Such simple times.

I was 18 when Diablo 2 came out and I played it and its expansion 'Lord of Destruction' for approximately the same amount of time as you. I don't think it was a pure RPG though, more of a hack & slash, action game with RPG elements.

I was 18 when Diablo 2 came out and I played it and its expansion 'Lord of Destruction' for approximately the same amount of time as you. I don't think it was a pure RPG though, more of a hack & slash, action game with RPG elements.

Yeah just looked at the wiki for it and it says its a "action role playing hack and slash game"

Sounds about right.

Game was great, hack and slash qualities that reminded me of Gauntlet but had a great leveling system and those RPG elements really just brang it all together.

10/10 game.

Diablo II was a fun part of my pre-teen, especially since that game and the 1st Diablo were the games that introduced me to online voice chat...........me and the homies would binge on hours raiding dungeons for loot

Back
Top Bottom