The Oscars: 2024's 96th Academy Awards, 7:00pm March 10th ABC

Will Smith and Jada's relationship summed up in 1 pic.

jadawillbrokenup.jpg

Have you guys ever watched a Comedy Central Roast? They’ve said MUCH worse on TV…..
Forget comedy central.. they've done much worse at the Oscars. This must be dudes first time watching the Oscars? They bring comedians there every year to roast celebs. It's tradition, celebs have these inflated egos and the comedians are there to bring em down to earth. This had nothing to do with a gi Jane joke. Will's wife been publicly emasculating him for years and as a result people have been attacking his manhood and that shi came to a head last night.

I'm just rubbed the wrong way by the expectation that Will was somehow obligated to do what he did because of gender roles. Jada was never a damsel in distress, and I believe she's strong enough as a person to handle this on her own.

There also has to be something that exists in the grey area between doing nothing and assaulting someone over some words.
Dude's head not right. His crocodile tears/rambling speech was even more strange. Should see a therapist asap but I don't think scientologists believe in that :smh:

It's not a barber shop, barbecue or you're 9-5 office job. You're at a comedy show! A comedy show that Will Smith has been at more than two dozen times and he's seen presenters and hosts roast audience members. If you don't like jokes, please stay at the house.
He was at an award show, not a roast. He was there to receive his award, not be disrespected.

-Once again? Famb I have no idea what you are even trying to argue now. A second ago you said Will should have been prepared for the jokes, and suggesting if he had a problem he should have stayed his *** at home

-If Rock didn't know about her condition, not really. Even though I would not have made a joke about a black woman's hair in public myself

If he did know, yeah, it is offensive. That adds another dynamic to it.

- I think it is completely fair for Jada and Will to take offense to it. Even though I wished Will would have checked Rock differently if he was upset

I'm confused on how my points are contradictory.

1. Will should be prepared for jokes seeing as he's attended the event more than two dozen times and he's familiar with the format.

2. The joke was light-hearted and PG-rated. Will Smith himself has made raunchier jokes than that (and that GI Jane joke isn't raunchy or edgy at all).

Maybe I just have a different perspective than many of you. I don't view that joke as edgy or Def comedy jam/Apollo level raunchy (even for the Oscars)

Comedy is part of the show, but it is fundamentally an awards show. Hell the Oscars is a fashion show too to some degree

If no jokes were told and they gave out the awards, it would still be the Oscars. If no awards were given out and we only heard jokes, it would be unlike any Oscars.

Will was there because he got nominated for an award he was likely to win.

The main purpose of an award show is to give out.....check notes.....awards

I think it is kinda silly to tell a professional not to come to an award show involving their profession because it contains offensive jokes.
Exactly. If you or I went to our company award show, we wouldn't be disrespected by some dude with a mic. I'm cool with having comedians host it but it's not a roast and the audience didn't sign up for a roast.

I'm confused on how my points are contradictory.

1. Will should be prepared for jokes seeing as he's attended the event more than two dozen times and he's familiar with the format.

2. The joke was light-hearted and PG-rated. Will Smith himself has made raunchier jokes than that (and that GI Jane joke isn't raunchy or edgy at all)

Famb I already said like a dozen time Will should have handled this situation differently, even my exchanges with you

I don't know what point you are arguing this point beyond keeping the back and forth going

So I have nothing left to say

My wife would slap me like Will did Chris if I ever got up in a big event and in front of everyone slapped someone and then proceeded to shout f bombs at the top of my lungs because someone said something to insult my wife. Think: a big event like say a wedding or graduation ceremony.
If my girl had a hair loss condition, she would have probably cried at Chris Rock's joke so I most likely would have done the same thing as Will Smith.

Prayers to Jada and her hair loss battle

I had a friend with high blood pressure and that was tough to get through.

We must pray for hair loss victims and her life now without beautiful hair

Last edited:
Famb I already said like a dozen time Will should have handled this situation differently, even my exchanges with you

I don't know what point you are arguing this point beyond keeping the back and forth going

So I have nothing left to say

"Are you really here trying to act like the Oscars is some showcase of edgy comedy"

I'm pushing back from what you said when you refer to the joke as "edgy comedy". It's a very milktoast, innocuous one-liner that doesn't even pass for edgy at the Oscars.

Maybe we can just agree to disagree on the level of offensiveness of the joke

If my girl had a hair loss condition, she would have probably cried at Chris Rock's joke so I most likely would have done the same thing as Will Smith.
My wife is strong enough to not make a fool of herself in front of 20 million people. And she certainly wouldn’t want me to do so at a publically aired event and or at a wedding or something.

"Are you really here trying to act like the Oscars is some showcase of edgy comedy"

I'm pushing back from what you said when you refer to the joke as "edgy comedy". It's a very milktoast, innocuous one-liner that doesn't even pass for edgy at the Oscars.

in a vaccuum it's a throwaway one-liner, but considering the circumstances of Jada's health...I understand the anger.

Back
Top Bottom