The Oscars: 2024's 96th Academy Awards, 7:00pm March 10th ABC

I'm confused on how my points are contradictory.

1. Will should be prepared for jokes seeing as he's attended the event more than two dozen times and he's familiar with the format.

2. The joke was light-hearted and PG-rated. Will Smith himself has made raunchier jokes than that (and that GI Jane joke isn't raunchy or edgy at all).

Maybe I just have a different perspective than many of you. I don't view that joke as edgy or Def comedy jam/Apollo level raunchy (even for the Oscars)

Only way i see the joke as offensive is if Chris has knowledge of Jada having health complications.

Outside of that i'm not seeing the backlash, people like you should never have jokes about a black womans hair.... Like Huh ?? :lol:

Unfortunately, I foresee fallout from this. Totally agree with Hal Sparks that Will Smith just made it seem okay for patrons to hit comedians when they get offended. I guess comedians can't do any crowd work anymore for fear of being slapped in the face for making jokes.
Man people been running up on comedians over jokes. There are plenty of stories on youtube by comedians talking about the earlier days of LA, Oakland and Chicago comedy scene. Hell, Joe Torre got shot at in an LA comedy club (town house) for talking about someone's mother who just died like a week earlier. Will didn't start no trend with this

CC647DF9-15E7-4C4C-B30E-F9A7FE701D85.jpeg

- Oscars been traaaaash. A shot in the arm gets everyone interested. #scripted
- Actors... acting? #scripted
- Will wins for depicting a black man fiercely protective of his family... and then at the Oscars he proceeded to depict a black man fiercely protective of his family. Imagine someone playing a wizard then interrupting the Oscars in a full robe & wizard hat. Same thing. #scripted
- We been hearing all this 'Will ain't no bad boy like Pac, and she wanted Pac.' Real easy to create this scenario where Will plays the bad boy and swoons Jada. #scripted
- GI Jane joke didn't even hit THAT hard, then Chris is like "What? That was a good one." #scripted
- No security or nothing? Supposedly this man just walked on stage on his own, smacked Chris on his own, and... no security? I've heard people say "If Will had smacked a white actor he would have been tackled expeditiously." I completely agree, if it were unscripted. The problem here isn't that Chris is black; it's that it was #scripted.
So you think when Kanye snatched the award away from Taylor Swift and interrupted her it was scripted?

Why do so many of y’all think security at an award show celebrating actors would stop an actor from walking up on stage unannounced or unexpectedly?

There have been dozens and dozens of times actors have popped up on stage or interrupted by saying something.

Back
Top Bottom