The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

How PlayStation Neo and the original PS4 will co-exist

View media item 2001763
In this article, we'll be drawing on the rules of engagement that Sony has supplied to PlayStation 4 developers. While these guidelines may change, the picture painted is clear and unambiguous. As the platform holder says explicitly, PS4 and Neo 'co-exist in the marketplace' - one is simply a more technologically capable version of the other, but there are some key points here amongst the wealth of information we'd really like to highlight:

Dual Shock 4 remains the primary controller: Sony has no plans to introduce a new joypad for the Neo hardware. The Dual Shock 4 remains unchanged and Sony has actually mandated that all existing peripherals should be supported with no segregation between PS4 and Neo.

1080p is the mandatory minimum display resolution: Sony is keen to push developers on to higher resolutions and super-sampling down to full HD is an option, but 1080p is the lowest pixel-count allowed.

No online segregation between consoles: If a PlayStation title supports online features, they must be deployed equally on both systems. Developers cannot have Neo-only servers. We believe this may actually introduce gameplay balance issues if, say, the Neo version hits 60fps while the PS4 version is capped at 30fps.

Save data systems are cross-platform: The PlayStation operating system is constant between both PS4 and Neo. This means that all data (save games, back-ups etc) are interchangeable between both systems by default. However, it seems that Sony is leaving it up to developers to ensure that Neo and PS4 save-swapping actually works.

Forward compatibility patches are for old games only: Sony really wants Neo support on all games from October onwards. While older titles can have Neo features patched in, the platform holder will not allow new titles to add Neo features at a later date.
[h2]PlayStation 4/Neo Game Compatibility[/h2]

Sony is very keen on developers supporting both systems simultaneously, and is motivating developers to ensure that there is Neo support in all PS4 titles from Q4 onwards this year. It's also firm on unifying the platforms with little or no exceptions:

• Neo-only or PS4-only games are not permitted (remember that Neo can still run unenhanced titles - developers are simply prohibited from locking out audiences of either console).
  • All games you purchase, whether via disc or from the PlayStation Store, should offer both PS4 and Neo functionality with no extra costs associated in running titles on a different console.
  • All new titles with Neo support use unified packages that run on both platforms. The CPU binary is identical, while three GPU binaries (shared, PS4-specific and Neo-specific) are all contained in the same package.
  • All DLC and additional content is entirely cross-platform. Unified downloads are used for both this, and basic game patches.
  • Neo support for old games is allowed via 'forward compatibility' patching - but this will not be allowed for new titles.
  • Developers cannot supply exclusive gameplay features for Neo owners. If the game has a split-screen mode, it must be available on both systems. However, modes can be enhanced - so a two-player split-screen mode on PS4 could be expanded to allow a four-player variant on Neo.
    [*]Developers cannot add exclusive content to either PS4 or Neo systems.
    [*]If there's a bug in Neo-specific code, developers are not allowed to divert Neo owners to the PS4 codepath. The game must be fixed.

• [h2]Rendering guidelines[/h2]

We've already described how Sony is looking to offer higher resolution support for 4K screens with the Neo hardware, and how higher frame-rates, more stable frame-rates, improved graphics fidelity and further visual features are encouraged. It's a topic we'll be returning to in due course as more information comes in. However, In terms of hard and fast technical guidelines for Neo rendering, Sony offers this:

• Games running in Neo mode must operate at a native rendering resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) or higher.
    • A game's frame-rate must meet or exceed its equivalent performance level on base PlayStation 4 hardware.

A lot of people aren't going to comprehend it. This literally has no negative effect on anybody who currently owns a PS4. Just like Greg Miller said on PS I Love You, Uncharted 4 isn't going to stop looking good on PS4 just because it looks better on NEO. There won't be any exclusive NEO games or exclusive content. Nothing changes unless devs purposely make PS4 games look like ****, which I doubt they would do.
There is a negative, PS4.5 games are going to look and run better and regular PS4 gamers are going to be aware of that. The regular PS4 will get the inferior version of the product.
I doubt you're getting a gimped version of the game. You're getting what the PS4 is capable of which is obviously going to be less than NEO due to the hardware being different. This doesn't mean the games are going to look trash. They just won't look as good. Happens with every game that releases on PC.

A lot of people aren't going to comprehend it. This literally has no negative effect on anybody who currently owns a PS4. Just like Greg Miller said on PS I Love You, Uncharted 4 isn't going to stop looking good on PS4 just because it looks better on NEO. There won't be any exclusive NEO games or exclusive content. Nothing changes unless devs purposely make PS4 games look like ****, which I doubt they would do.
There is a negative, PS4.5 games are going to look and run better and regular PS4 gamers are going to be aware of that. The regular PS4 will get the inferior version of the product.
Agreed, thank you.

So who's up to spend $500 on native 1080p and faster frame rate (or locked)? F outta here Sony. I'll wait for the PS5, **** this 6s, lol.

No matter what regulations Sony implements, this is small wild fire that's gonna spread. Sony is getting ahead of themselves.

Last edited:
That's nothing more than a personal inferiority problem

Disc runs better on new machine vs a 3 year old machine, go figure

It's just crazy that people want consoles to be the exception compared to almost every other forms of consumer electronics

How dare Sony give me the option of buying better hardware, how dare they willingly take the money I'm willing to give them, how dare they

Won't someone please think of the people who don't have their wallets out

Last edited:
No one's outright dropping 500 for 1080x30

That's a dev issue

I remember when ea released ufc1 at 900x30 on BOTH consoles, I just laughed and said "nope"

Didn't support that garbage then, won't support it now

Last edited:
I doubt you're getting a gimped version of the game. You're getting what the PS4 is capable of which is obviously going to be less than NEO due to the hardware being different. This doesn't mean the games are going to look trash. They just won't look as good. Happens with every game that releases on PC.
Well people bought the PS4 expecting it to be the best on the console standpoint for at least 5 years. I know the world is changing and everything is moving faster, I get that. I just think it would be fair if they offer current PS4 owners a discount or trade in deal. The PS4.5 will be the superior system running the superior version of the game/movies, so PS4 owners are getting the short end of the stick.

This is why I'm just sitting back and seriously :lol: at dudes who are getting pissed & heated with PS 4.5 rumors.

Seriously it's not like anyone or Sony or anybody else is forcing you to buy it and upgrade to PS 4.5

People that have the attitude that they need to have the latest & greatest have other real problems in they're lives.

Last edited:
This is why I'm just sitting back and seriously :lol: at dudes who are getting pissed & heated with PS 4.5 rumors.

Seriously it's not like anyone or Sony or anybody else is forcing you to buy it and upgrade to PS 4.5

People that have the attitude that they need to have the latest & greatest have other real problems in they're lives.
We all bought the PS4 thinking it would be straight graphically for at least 5-6 years with the support of Sony and Co. Now 3 years in, we find out that they are basically saying "the PS4 is lacking a bit, let's make a better version until we release the PS5".

That's nothing more than a personal inferiority problem

Disc runs better on new machine vs a 3 year old machine, go figure

It's just crazy that people want consoles to be the exception compared to almost every other forms of consumer electronics

How dare Sony give me the option of buying better hardware, how dare they willingly take the money I'm willing to give them, how dare they

Won't someone please think of the people who don't have their wallets out
the ps4.5 is pretty much the same thing we've seen with ps3 slim, box 360 elite, and xbox 360 slim and with nintendo putting upgrades in RAM on their devices. i honestly dont get why people are getting so bent out of shape for this. this is nothing new but just a bigger upgrade on a console that we havent seen before 

If rumors are true, PS4 will be lacking behind NX. There were also rumors of a new Xbox. You go from first to last just like that.

Why would Sony offer a discount? You paid for the PS4 and it does what it's suppose to do? I mean a discount would be nice but it's not happening unless a retailer decides to do so. Same guys complaining probably buy every new iPhone/Galaxy phone that drops :lol:

Like I said before, nothing that I've heard is making me want to upgrade. I'm perfectly fine with playing the "gimped" version of my games. It's gonna happen when the NX drops anyway :lol:

Will there be a Diamond trophy available to Neo users as opposed, or in addition, to the Platinum? Onyx perhaps?

Seriously, though, I will buy a NEO but probably not at launch. Maybe I'll ask the wife to not do her nails twice and she could pay for the whole damn thing. 
mean.gif

Will there be a Diamond trophy available to Neo users as opposed, or in addition, to the Platinum? Onyx perhaps?

Seriously, though, I will buy a NEO but probably not at launch. Maybe I'll ask the wife to not do her nails twice and she could pay for the whole damn thing. :smh:
Diamond trophies = day one cop :lol:

I want to see from Sony, what it's all about. I don't even have a 4K TV so that's not enough to convince me. I really can't think of anything reasonable that they could add to get me to upgrade. I do have a few things I'd like in a firmware update i.e. folders to organize my games, PSN name change, trophy stat tracker (similar to what the X1 has; so I know how many more times I have to kill an enemy with the
Is stupid weapon I never use), PS1 classics on PS4 with trophies. Sad thing is I know most, if not none, of these things will happen :smh:

So this thing is just a PS4+... It's just what Apple does: upgrade the specs a bit, give it a fancy new color and put it on sale, market it right, win...

So this thing is just a PS4+... It's just what Apple does: upgrade the specs a bit, give it a fancy new color and put it on sale, market it right, win...
it's not a bit at all, it's rumored to be twice as powerful

and there's nowhere that states it's a slim, the regular ps4 could go slim and the ps4+ could maybe be bigger

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom