The Official PlayStation 3 | ViTA Thread Vol. Plenty of Life Left

EA Getting Rid of Online Passes
That’s that.
by Colin Moriarty MAY 15, 2013

Online Passes – the controversial attempt by many publishers to encourage new game sales by locking online-centric content for used copies – has become engrained in gaming culture over the last several years. But according to a report on VentureBeat, one major company is doing away with them.

Electronic Arts – the mega-publisher behind a litany of games including Madden, FIFA, Battlefield, Dead Space, Mass Effect and more – will be “discontinuing” its Online Pass initiative. In a statement provided to VentureBeat, EA’s John Reseburg said that “none of our new EA titles will include that feature.”

Reseburg admitted that Online Passes just don’t seem to be working. “Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn’t respond to the format. We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward.”

Many major publishers – including Sony and Ubisoft – continue to use Online Passes, though interestingly, Microsoft never seemed to go down that road. Will EA’s abolishment of this system coerce other publishers to follow suit?

That’s that.

Online Passes – the controversial attempt by many publishers to encourage new game sales by locking online-centric content for used copies – has become engrained in gaming culture over the last several years. But according to a report on VentureBeat, one major company is doing away with them.

Electronic Arts – the mega-publisher behind a litany of games including Madden, FIFA, Battlefield, Dead Space, Mass Effect and more – will be “discontinuing” its Online Pass initiative. In a statement provided to VentureBeat, EA’s John Reseburg said that “none of our new EA titles will include that feature.”

Reseburg admitted that Online Passes just don’t seem to be working. “Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn’t respond to the format. We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward.”

Many major publishers – including Sony and Ubisoft – continue to use Online Passes, though interestingly, Microsoft never seemed to go down that road. Will EA’s abolishment of this system coerce other publishers to follow suit?

Interesting. They most likely will have something else to replace it.

Last edited:
Man 30 hours in and I just realized there is a Roadrunner Records radio station in Sleeping Dogs.

All I can seem to get is Machine Head and Fear Factory, but Im not complaining. \m/ :D \m/

GT6.

eek.gif

... on PS3
mad.gif
I dunno, it might not necessarily be a bad thing.  If they can make it better on PS3 than on PS4 (assuming they're still trying to "maximize it's potential"), then I'm all for it. Plus on a marketing/sales standpoint, using GT6 as a launch-title, they probably won't have enough PS4's to satisfy the demand. 

Last edited:
That’s that.

They should have made it retro-active and removed the stupid online passes from games like Battlefield and Dead Space 3. That was really idiotic.
GT6.

eek.gif

... on PS3
mad.gif
Didn't even play GT5 so I won't be complaining. However now I don't have much of a reason to pick up a launch day PS4.

[quote name="empirestrikesfirst" url="/t/307812/the-official-playstation-3-vita-thread-vol-plenty-of-life-left/9870#post_17909574

can u head over to this thread and check post #26 out and help us with some answers
http://niketalk.com/t/536725/ea-does-something-right
or anyone with connections in the gaming industry

EDIT: my bad on the bad quote job

Im not in the industry even remotely so I have no info other than what is posted on other sites. Sorry man!

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs non stop lately since they added it to PS+ last week. Loved the triad story and I always get confused and drive on the right hand side and keep getting into cars on the left hand side lol.
Every damn time.
laugh.gif
We drive on the left side of the road here so it wasn't confusing for me.
laugh.gif

Love me some Sleeping Dogs BTW.
pimp.gif

I dunno, it might not necessarily be a bad thing.  If they can make it better on PS3 than on PS4 (assuming they're still trying to "maximize it's potential"), then I'm all for it. Plus on a marketing/sales standpoint, using GT6 as a launch-title, they probably won't have enough PS4's to satisfy the demand. 

This is true actually.

Half of GT5 sales and GT as a whole is in Europe and Europe is the hardest place to launch which is why we always get left for last so you might as well establish a user base, launch with Drive Club for the petrol heads then GT7 for 2015.

It's going to be a pain unplugging and plugging in both consoles.

This is true actually.

Half of GT5 sales and GT as a whole is in Europe and Europe is the hardest place to launch which is why we always get left for last so you might as well establish a user base, launch with Drive Club for the petrol heads then GT7 for 2015.

It's going to be a pain unplugging and plugging in both consoles.

Might think about investing in a tv with 2 HDMI ports so you can just switch back and forth between them using the remote. That's what I am planning on doing when I pick up the PS4. By that time a good 46" Samsung should be $500-600.

Last edited:
Man so many anticipated games upcoming for the rest of the year

- Last of Us

- GTA V

- Beyond

- Assassin's Creed IV

- Watch Dogs

- Arkham Origins

And I'm probably missing a few others.

I already have a backlog as it is right now.
laugh.gif

Might think about investing in a tv with 2 HDMI ports so you can just switch back and forth between them using the remote. That's what I am planning on doing when I pick up the PS4. By that time a good 46" Samsung should be $500-600.
Picked up my 51" Samsung for $450 last year.. Came out to around $520 after taxes and all that.

Picked up my 51" Samsung for $450 last year.. Came out to around $520 after taxes and all that.
LED or Plasma? Haven't looked at the Samsung plasmas yet, but if they're good I might go for one. Always thought Panasonics were the best for plasma

Black Friday deal? I cant find anything decent for less that $700 currently. I am looking for a backlit LCD

It was a week or something like that before Black Friday and ended up being the same price that day. Walmart clutch.

LED or Plasma? Haven't looked at the Samsung plasmas yet, but if they're good I might go for one. Always thought Panasonics were the best for plasma

Plasma. They're good. Only issue I've had was some minor burn in that went away from watching law and order for a week straight on USA. Also not sure about what that 600hz rate is about since I've never heard about it.

Found this for around 550. That's my model or some updated version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEAFLYK/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Last edited:
FYI to anyone attempting Platinum on Sleeping Dogs

The jobs (30) and events (28) needed to complete the 100% trophy appear to be glitched but in actuality are not.

The events one includes the drug busts on your map (17 blue police crests) and 11 events that appear only when near the vicinity. These 11 events only appear during a sunny day. No rain, not nighttime. I can confirm this as I was missing one and went to sleep until a sunny day appeared and it finally was there. I had to do a few searches on the internet as no guide really states that.

The jobs one seems glitched if you do the Tran car thefts last. There are 20, but apparently the last counts as 2 for 21. Added to 5 Randal missions and 4 fight clubs, should be your 30.

Back
Top Bottom