The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

First time trying cinestill myself. Went with the 400
Here's a link to the full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/108734748@N03/albums

Some selects

1720742417878.jpeg

1720742444279.jpeg

1720742473564.jpeg

1720742504630.jpeg

R1-06781-0035.jpeg

R1-06781-0030.jpeg

R1-06781-0029.jpeg

R1-06781-0018.jpeg

Shot these on my F2 with portra 400.

The lowriders i shot on that day i also took my rb with me after i got my rick oleson brightscreen , left my lens in the mirror lock up mode so everything came out blank.

Before that my F5 was missing focus when i went down to la and back in the bay area on some rolls so after being frustrated im getting back into it.

Oh....man, that is a tough one. Cause shooting action or sports is the one thing that can increase a price on a camera. I think I heard the Canon 7DMKii is pretty solid if you still want crop frame. They should be pretty cheap used at below $500.

I also wonder if getting a Canon mirrorless is the way to go too since their autofocus is just way better even using an EF lens. If you can afford one, I bet it should be more future proof then getting an older Canon body at this point.

Is there a specific Canon Mirrorless that you would reccommend?

Is there a specific Canon Mirrorless that you would reccommend?

For sports? I hear the R6 is the most budget friendly (at $2500 but used at like $1700) that has the autofocus of the R5 but megapixels are just lower. Mind you the R5 autofocus is not the flagship focus but from what I heard, it is okay. Also I am seeing used R5s for about $2K so if I had to choose, I would pay $300 more to get a used R5 over a R6. Also the Canon r5 mark 2 just got announced today so assuming enough, new and used R5 prices should go down even lower.

The lowriders i shot on that day i also took my rb with me after i got my rick oleson brightscreen , left my lens in the mirror lock up mode so everything came out blank.

Before that my F5 was missing focus when i went down to la and back in the bay area on some rolls so after being frustrated im getting back into it.
I had that issue about a couple of months ago. I had about 4 rolls I shot come back very lackluster with one roll coming out mostly blurry since it was a point and shoot. Just paying to get bad scans back just annoy the hell out of me but I know that comes with the territory of film. Thankfully that is when I just take a break from film and go back to digital and when I am over digital, I resort back to film.

Also I am starting to really hate 35mm film and I have about nine 35mm cameras. Perhaps I just haven't found my niche for it in what I shoot but whenever I get stuff back, I just hate the quality of it all to the point where I'd rather just pay more and shoot 100% 120mm film.

I've been feeling the disconnect from the physical medium of shooting film. I booked a session to re-learn b&w darkroom printing, doing that friday. Haven't been in a darkroom since undergrad. I don't have any b&w film of my own to develop (also haven't done that in 10 years) but I've got plenty of negatives to choose from out the archive. I'm excited. Ideally, I'll be able to do it on my own and then I can book the darkroom at an hourly rate to make more prints in my free time.

I still love shooting 35mm and supporting my local photo shop for developing and scans, but it feels very digital that way. I love instagram and the internet and sharing my photos there. After seeing the Vivian Maier exhibit and seeing a few of her prints, though, I wanted to go back to the roots. Fong$tarr Fong$tarr sounds like you feel the same

^^^^^^Inspiration definitely helps but it is different for every shooter. In the Bay Area, there are actually a lot of photo meets now where you can do photo walks with other photographers. I think that is great but just not for me as I am just not productive that way.

My shooting is actually sporadic due to me having kids but I try and get shoots whenever I am free that fits my time. This Friday I am going to an Oakland A's game for the last time since they are moving out of the city and shooting some medium format stuff in there. I got some big inspiration though from the Cinestill post below which was enough for me to get tickets to the game.

I had that issue about a couple of months ago. I had about 4 rolls I shot come back very lackluster with one roll coming out mostly blurry since it was a point and shoot. Just paying to get bad scans back just annoy the hell out of me but I know that comes with the territory of film. Thankfully that is when I just take a break from film and go back to digital and when I am over digital, I resort back to film.

Also I am starting to really hate 35mm film and I have about nine 35mm cameras. Perhaps I just haven't found my niche for it in what I shoot but whenever I get stuff back, I just hate the quality of it all to the point where I'd rather just pay more and shoot 100% 120mm film.
Yeah the pain is the name of the game but when you get it right on some shots it makes it all worth it. I only shoot film so im use to the pain :lol: .

What 35mm cameras do you have? I bought my medium format cameras back to back, after my RB i bought a F2 and i got a 50mm nikkor lens after and that alone really keeps me coming back to 35mm, i love that lens so much , i love the f2 so much i now have two of them.

Yeah the pain is the name of the game but when you get it right on some shots it makes it all worth it. I only shoot film so im use to the pain :lol: .

What 35mm cameras do you have? I bought my medium format cameras back to back, after my RB i bought a F2 and i got a 50mm nikkor lens after and that alone really keeps me coming back to 35mm, i love that lens so much , i love the f2 so much i now have two of them.
I mean off the top of my head,....Leica M6, Nikon F3, Canon AE1, Canon F1, Canon 1V, Canonet, Canon P, Nikon point and shoot, etc. I guess I have way more than nine cameras cause there is definitely more. I went a little nuts at estate sales and Craigslist when I first got into it but for the most part I only use the M6, Canon 1V and Nikon point and shoot the most for 35mm. I use the M6 for the rangefinder experience, the Canon 1V when I need like the ultimate auto exposure and the point and shoot when I really don't care what to shoot.

I actually was able to get my old Canon F1 into the A's game last week with a 200mm, 135mm and 50mm lens. Was pretty hyped but then the meter on the camera was off and everything was under exposed as the light went down. Also 200m is just not close enough at a baseball game and even at me bring front row. I came out with like 3 photos that looked okay by for the most part, sort of a waste of film and developing.

I don't know what is up with Phoenix. I have yet to like it and I have 3 rolls at home. I am realizing there are only a handful of film stocks I really like and they are mostly Kodak and Cinestill.

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr i noticed you were in the bay aream, what lab do you take your film to?

I go to mostly Underdog Filmlab in Oakland but if I was living in SF, I would go to Photoworks. I also use my local lab Mike's Camera for all 35mm cause they knock it out almost same day but for the 120mm stuff, I got to Underdog.

I don't know what is up with Phoenix. I have yet to like it and I have 3 rolls at home. I am realizing there are only a handful of film stocks I really like and they are mostly Kodak and Cinestill.

I go to mostly Underdog Filmlab in Oakland but if I was living in SF, I would go to Photoworks. I also use my local lab Mike's Camera for all 35mm cause they knock it out almost same day but for the 120mm stuff, I got to Underdog.

I met someone last weekend who also said underdog shop , i think they work there so ill have to check it out. Mikes camera does knock it out in a couple hours but i dont like the scans they give for 35mm compared to the lab i go to in st louis, what they do with 120 is good enough for me. Photoworks is high as hell for E6 but its a week turnaround

I met someone last weekend who also said underdog shop , i think they work there so ill have to check it out. Mikes camera does knock it out in a couple hours but i dont like the scans they give for 35mm compared to the lab i go to in st louis, what they do with 120 is good enough for me. Photoworks is high as hell for E6 but its a week turnaround
Was it a girl who you met? I know she works there (https://www.instagram.com/coolperolike). And do you live in the East Bay and go to Mikes Camera in Pleasant Hill? I sort agree on the scans for 35mm. My local Mike's camera does 120mm but only 6x6. They oddly do not do black and whites either and send them out. Also Underdog does free shipping on orders as well. I never do it cause I don’t have a printer but I might have to invest in one just to make it easier to send them stuff.

Last edited:
Was it a girl who you met? I know she works there (https://www.instagram.com/coolperolike). And do you live in the East Bay and go to Mikes Camera in Pleasant Hill? I sort agree on the scans for 35mm. My local Mike's camera does 120mm but only 6x6. They oddly do not do black and whites either and send them out. Also Underdog does free shipping on orders as well. I never do it cause I don’t have a printer but I might have to invest in one just to make it easier to send them stuff.
Bearded guy , met him at radwood last weekend. He had an RB himself. Yeah im in east bay i go to the one in dublin, they take everything i throw at them :lol: .
I’m gonna stop by underdog tomorrow and see what kinda results i get from them

vinnuendo vinnuendo you getting deep into it now!!

What format?
It's so rewarding to have something tangible from photography. I love posting my stuff online but it's really special to fully make a photograph. These are 8x10 prints on RC paper from 35mm negatives. Always save your archives...and remember where you put them :lol:

It's so rewarding to have something tangible from photography. I love posting my stuff online but it's really special to fully make a photograph. These are 8x10 prints on RC paper from 35mm negatives. Always save your archives...and remember where you put them :lol:
Man i have two growing boxes of negatives and i never got any printed. I should get around to that :lol:

Too be be fair, you could've always printed your digital images.

Too be be fair, you could've always printed your digital images.
The takeaway from my post there was "really special to fully make a photograph." I have plenty of digital prints that I've gotten done at photo shop for myself and given to friends and family. To analogize, making a photograph in the darkroom feels like cooking a homemade meal to me. Sending an email to the shop to ask them to print my photos is like heating up those leftovers the next day. It's still nice to have that tangible digital print but it's not as rewarding and fulfilling as making it myself from scratch.

I have no desire to process my own film again tho lol. I could do it at that lab, but I have so many black and white negatives I wanna print from before I feel like processing future b&w rolls. This lab also has a color darkroom class. I wanna do that next.

The takeaway from my post there was "really special to fully make a photograph." I have plenty of digital prints that I've gotten done at photo shop for myself and given to friends and family. To analogize, making a photograph in the darkroom feels like cooking a homemade meal to me. Sending an email to the shop to ask them to print my photos is like heating up those leftovers the next day. It's still nice to have that tangible digital print but it's not as rewarding and fulfilling as making it myself from scratch.

I have no desire to process my own film again tho lol. I could do it at that lab, but I have so many black and white negatives I wanna print from before I feel like processing future b&w rolls. This lab also has a color darkroom class. I wanna do that next.
My takeaway was that you only posted digital photos online since thats what you stated and the film lets you have something tangible.

Rewarding is what you make out of it. I’ve owned large format Espon printers to make posters myself. Post processing in LR and picture manipulation in PS can be fulfilling to a lot of people.

Not arguing which is more rewarding. Just stating there’s other things with digital photography that invokes the same feelings you have with film.

That aside, there’s tangible things in photography independent of digital or film. I’ve been making my own picture frames in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom