The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Could be cropped

But you can also correct distortion in post

Yeah. Just wondering about first impressions. Its not a crazy picture but better then i expected even if corrected.

24mm isnt like a fisheye in distortion or anything but it isn't the optimal choice for a portrait lens unless you're going for a particular look

This was taken at 24mm

This was taken at 85mm

2 different shots, 2 different perspectives, 2 different reasons.

24mm isnt like a fisheye in distortion or anything but it isn't the optimal choice for a portrait lens unless you're going for a particular look

This was taken at 24mm

This was taken at 85mm

2 different shots, 2 different perspectives, 2 different reasons.

Thanks. Probably going to get the 24 then. I was thinking about the 35mm to get the 50mm look but for the price i can beat a 24.

Do keep in mind that lower end optics lend themselves to more distortion.

I understand. I was researching and for a budget i think the 50mm 1.8 and 24mm 2.8 is a perfect all around combo. The 24mm is cheap enough for me and its a pancake lens. I think i will be set for a long time. That way i can do more shooting and get better lol

Last edited:
Do keep in mind that lower end optics lend themselves to more distortion.

I understand. I was researching and for a budget i think the 50mm 1.8 and 24mm 2.8 is a perfect all around combo. The 24mm is cheap enough for me and its a pancake lens. I think i will be set for a long time. That way i can do more shooting and get better lol

the best thing you could do is just get/use your kit zoom lens for a minute, i think things would become much clearer to you and it would probably help you make lens choices down the line if you continue photography...

the best thing you could do is just get/use your kit zoom lens for a minute, i think things would become much clearer to you and it would probably help you make lens choices down the line if you continue photography...

i already have a 50mm, but i was testing the kit lens at around 24mm and i should be good. especially for the price. i didnt think about it since i gave my old camera to a family member with the kit lens. luckily i was able to to mess with it again

Last edited:

You ask a lot of questions regarding gear, how is you current gear limiting your photography/videography? Have you checked out the lenses you are interested in-store? The pancake 24mm STM should be available in most bestbuys and camera stores. Have you checked out zoom lenses? They give you a variety of focal lengths, usually cheaper than buying a set of primes? Have you checked out the Sigma/Tamron 17-50/2.8 zoom? That one zoom lens can replace 24,28,35, 50 primes for around $300 grey market/used. Have you checked out the 10-18 STM? Should be a great budget option for wide angle shots and video, while the 55-250 STM should cover your telephoto needs for both stills and video. For someone that wants to shoot a variety of subjects, I usually recommend a zoom setup like the Canon 10-18 STM, Sigma/Tamron 17-50/2.8, and the Canon 55-250 STM. For portrait work, add in the 50 STM and the 85 USM. I wouldn't recommend getting full frame glass unless you know 100% you are upgrading to full frame in the near future due to cost, as long as you buy lightly used/refurbished lenses you should make up most of it back when you decide to sell the gear down the road, depending on condition of course.

You ask a lot of questions regarding gear, how is you current gear limiting your photography/videography? Have you checked out the lenses you are interested in-store? The pancake 24mm STM should be available in most bestbuys and camera stores. Have you checked out zoom lenses? They give you a variety of focal lengths, usually cheaper than buying a set of primes? Have you checked out the Sigma/Tamron 17-50/2.8 zoom? That one zoom lens can replace 24,28,35, 50 primes for around $300 grey market/used. Have you checked out the 10-18 STM? Should be a great budget option for wide angle shots and video, while the 55-250 STM should cover your telephoto needs for both stills and video. For someone that wants to shoot a variety of subjects, I usually recommend a zoom setup like the Canon 10-18 STM, Sigma/Tamron 17-50/2.8, and the Canon 55-250 STM. For portrait work, add in the 50 STM and the 85 USM. I wouldn't recommend getting full frame glass unless you know 100% you are upgrading to full frame in the near future due to cost, as long as you buy lightly used/refurbished lenses you should make up most of it back when you decide to sell the gear down the road, depending on condition of course.

I am asking questions about gear because i can now properly record video. Its the Main reason i upgraded my camera. I have 50mm 1.8 ii non stm. Its the only lens i have right now. I dont really have any cammera stores near me but i was planning to get to best buy soon. My other option was a 10-18 or 10-22. I was asking here just incase someone had it really. It seems like it would be a good option to get 24mm but idk. We will see.

Edit: might get a 24mm as a walkaround lense for everday use and then the sigma 17-50mm for more serius work. I know the sigma has 24mm but the prime is pancake which is easoer for everyday. Still gotta try it out first though

Last edited:
lol - I need a freaking Wide Angle lens ASAP.

Trying to take a trip to some cool places this weekend coming up.

Went to PR last week 

Some photos I took 

All Raw unedited

Still need to play around with them in lightroom maybe sometime after my midterms are over 

Last edited:
All Raw unedited

Still need to play around with them in lightroom maybe sometime after my midterms are over 

I'm trying really hard not to be negative but I don't think I'd bother. They're snapshots and don't look like they'll ever be more than that.

You'd be better going out and taking some more pictures with your time.

I'm trying really hard not to be negative but I don't think I'd bother. They're snapshots and don't look like they'll ever be more than that.

You'd be better going out and taking some more pictures with your time.

He can do a film look and it would be alright. But i wouldnt wastw my time

Back
Top Bottom