The Official NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS OFFSEASON Thread

posted from some of the NFL threads:

Updated: August 7, 2011, 10:46 AM ET

[h1]Source: Pats to sign DE Shaun Ellis[/h1]

By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive

The AFC East rivalry between New England and New York is getting an added jolt as longtime Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis will join the Patriots, pending a physical.

Ellis and the Patriots reached agreement on a one-year deal, according to a league source. The contract is pending a physical, which is expected to be completed later Sunday.

New England has been looking to upgrade its pass rush and it believes it will do so with the 34-year-old Ellis, who has played 11 seasons with the Jets after New York picked him with the 12th overall pick of the 2000 draft.

The Jets had made a one-year offer for the veterans' minimum of $910,000, according to Ellis' agent, Mitch Frankel.

Ellis has earned respect throughout a career in which he has piled up 72½ sacks, ranking third on the Jets' career list behind Joe Klecko (77½) and Mark Gastineau (107½).

Ellis has been a reliable player, missing just six games since becoming a starter in 2001. His ability to play all along the line made him a valuable part of Rex Ryan's aggressive Jets defense.

The Jets used their first-round pick to select Ellis' heir apparent, Muhammad Wilkerson, who has been working with the starting unit in training camp. Ryan has praised Wilkerson, saying he expects the former Temple standout to be the opening-day starter. Ryan had said that he would have liked to bring back Ellis, although he made it clear that his playing time would be reduced.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini and The Associated Press was used in this report.

he's 34, had 5 sacks last year...but it's an improvement no less. we can use any and all help off the edge.

ungrateful bastards
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

i mean is it THAT big of loss for you guys? jenkins was probably more of a loss, that guy was a real +%+%@!%
laugh.gif

he's good for 2 epic sacks a year, usually they were on brady , so yeah he's a loss to me

^ been posted already. i got it out of the way so any slide pics from you guys are useless
laugh.gif

onewearz...gotcha. yeah hopefully playing next to albert and vince can help ellis do some work. but im not crazy pumped about a 34 year old end

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

^ been posted already. i got it out of the way so any slide pics from you guys are useless
laugh.gif

Oh so we using the Rabbit from 8 Mile tactic?
laugh.gif

That pic is fair game all season bro.

bedard tweeting that the pats bringing in dashon goldson....

pimp.gif
 he ran a int back last year and had 4 pick's the year before

Glad to see all this effort put into having a solid Defensive line
pimp.gif
,now if only we could get Osi.....

A man can dream right? 
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

osi would be an actual solution, id love it, man.

ellis and carter are just bandages to a growing problem. but they'll do for now i guess. it should be better than last year.

and....here....we....goo
pimp.gif

early word is no brady tonight. totally cool with that as our offensive line is still a patchwork line. no point in getting brady planted in preseason.

things im looking forward to seeing tonight:
1) the front seven and what they can do. i believe no albert tonight, but id like to see what the others can do. especially the big guys up front
2) chung and the safeties
3) taylor price
4) ryan mallet

also...interested to see how the defense comes out. 4-3 all the way? or hybrid 3-4's? or 7 DL and 4 DBs?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

also...interested to see how the defense comes out. 4-3 all the way? or hybrid 3-4's? or 7 DL and 4 DBs?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

You know Bill. Probably keeping everything under wraps till it counts.  SMH im getting hyped for a pre season game

laugh.gif

hey did you hear why vareen is out? injury i assume? didn't he leave practice with an injury?

agree with you that i wanted to see what he can do

laugh.gif

osi would be an actual solution, id love it, man.

ellis and carter are just bandages to a growing problem. but they'll do for now i guess. it should be better than last year.

all front office see's is precious second rounder(also known as a third roundesr and a 4th and a 2013 2nd 
laugh.gif
 ) for a 30 year old .
at the end of the day, the word was on draft night bill didnt like ANY dt's or de's projected in the top 15. and all the guys we did get

are "bridge" guys to hold us off, so the signs are pointing to PASS RUSH priority next year.

shaun ellis has 1 mill in incentives and a point to prove. maybe some .... 
nerd.gif
 . lol.

Back
Top Bottom