The Official NBA Season Thread: Pre-Season Games Underway | RIP Dikembe Mutombo 🙏

2011 Dirk type of redemption we are witnessing

Great as Ros looks in these picture I’m mainly wondering who she knows that decided to have a wedding in Morocco.

(Nothing wrong with Morocco - seems like a cool place - but that’s quite a destination wedding for people who live in America)

How come nobody wants Lavine man |l

vSsi2AEW-600x338.jpg

How come nobody wants Lavine man |l

vSsi2AEW-600x338.jpg

At this point in his career, he makes the most sense for a veteran team that is already good, but he presents too many risks for a team like that to go into the luxury tax to get and/or give up a lot of valuable assets.

I think, under the old CBA, the Clippers might have pulled on the trigger on a deal for him after PG bounced but not under the current terms.

In this case, these drugs are being abused for cosmetic purposes, which isnt their purpose.

Drugs are relatively too new to know their long term side effects of weekly use for months/years (even though more and more info is coming out now).

When it comes to cosmetics, people will go to great lengths. Even if it hurts them in the long run or hurts others who actually need this medication for non-cosmetic reasons.

1. "abused?" how do you know it's being abused? The FDA has approved its use for weight loss, how is it abuse to use a drug for its fda approved purpose?

2. They've been doing clinical trials on this since 2008, research started in the 1980's. these drugs are relatively well studied. obviously more research is being done but i think you are exaggerating the long terms risks here a bit.

and there actually might be some health benefits beyond weight loss.
1725894461813.png

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-08-ozempic-wegovy-health-benefits-weight.html

This just feels like moralizing over "cosmetic" use. Weight loss has been one of the most confounding problems of modern society.

and we've finally developed a technology that actually works. personally I hate needles and love bodybuilding, so I wouldn't risk the possible loss in muscle mass to take it.

but i think if you struggle with losing weight, and you can afford it imo you'd be a fool not consider it.

you don't get extra credit for losing weight on hard mode.

When your front office is absolute ****, the players get a lot of the blame. Lavine is in that situation.
1. "abused?" how do you know it's being abused? The FDA has approved its use for weight loss, how is it abuse to use a drug for its fda approved purpose?

2. They've been doing clinical trials on this since 2008, research started in the 1980's. these drugs are relatively well studied. obviously more research is being done but i think you are exaggerating the long terms risks here a bit.

1725894461813.png

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-08-ozempic-wegovy-health-benefits-weight.html

This just feels like moralizing over "cosmetic" use. Weight loss has been one of the most confounding problems of modern society.

and we've finally developed a technology that actually works. personally I hate needles and love bodybuilding, so I wouldn't risk the possible loss in muscle mass to take it.

but i think if you struggle with losing weight, and you can afford it imo you'd be a fool not consider it.

1. Its FDA approved for obesity. Specifically for obese people with an additional comorbid condition (diabetes, heart disease, etc). Not weight loss. The main indication is Type 2 Diabetes.
2. People started abusing it because one of the main side effects of this medication for people who used it prior for what its actually approved for is weight loss.
3. The first recommendation for weight loss and pretty much every heart related condition is diet/exercise. You do get extra credit for changing your diet and exercise. The benefits of diet/exercise (first line recommendation) long term far outweigh the risks of this medication.

I have a doctorate in this. When my diabetic patients cant get a hold of it due to it being at one point unavailable everywhere because the Kardashians and every wealthy model wants to get skinnier, yes its being abused.

They started pushing Zepbound (which is specifically approved for weight loss) to "fix" this issue, but once again its not available anywhere. Clearly also a pharmaceutical money grab.

1725894461813.png

you won’t mose muscle and Ozempic (semaglutide) is the worst of the 3 main glp1 agonists out now. Tirzaperide (monjauro/zepbound) is a 2 pathway, retatrutide is 3 (glp/gip/glucagon). Lilly is ripping everyone off you can get all 3 for the super lowty low, they arent expensive at all to make and again to the muscle loss in studies, they took normal *** people and just gave them the glp 1 agonists and told them change nothing else about their lives. It’ll just “magically “ make you eat less, you’ll lose weight. FWIW the Average American eats 3600-4100 calories a day and still manages to under eat protein; primarily processed fats and carbs.

If you know better and to continue to prioritize protein (.75grams x lb of bodyweight or something) and resistance train ie the stimulus for your body to retain/building muscle especially while eating in a deficit, you won't lose significant muscle.

I've lost over 110 lbs the last 16 or so months and not much if any weaker I could find my old scans to see how much muscle I lost but I'm sure it's not much. Didnt use tirz/reta the whole time but I get some from time to time, that as well as yohimbine hcl crushes appetite

1. Its FDA approved for obesity. Specifically for obese people with an additional comorbid condition (diabetes, heart disease, etc). Not weight loss. The main indication is Type 2 Diabetes.

Sure, but what it does is suppress appetite to induce weight loss. why would it be more dangerous for people who are have less comorbidities?
lots of drugs are prescribed off label, why would this be uniquely dangerous, when the mechanism is pretty well understood. and people who have more comorbidities tolerate the drug quite well?

2. People started abusing it because one of the main side effects of this medication for people who used it prior for what its actually approved for is weight loss.

drugs are prescribed off label all the time. is any drug prescribed off label automatically count as "abuse",
Aspirin is prescribed off label to reduce hypertension I believe, is that "abuse"? obviously not.

3. The first recommendation for weight loss and pretty much every heart related condition is diet/exercise. You do get extra credit for changing your diet and exercise. The benefits of diet/exercise (first line recommendation) long term far outweigh the risks of this medication.

OBVIOUSLY.
therein lies the point, we've been recommending diet and exercises forever and it doesn't actually work for most people.
most humans just don't have the self discipline in a world full of abundance.

obviously it would be better to take zero medication, but in a world where most people who diet and exercise gain all the weight back. why wouldn't we use technology to give people a better chance at success?

They started pushing Zepbound (which is specifically approved for weight loss) to "fix" this issue, but once again its not available anywhere. Clearly also a pharmaceutical money grab.

the solution to a demand problem is to increase supply. not to moralize over "abuse"
we live in a capitalist countries. the state isn't going ration the supply.

if demand is high, increase supply.

:lol: It’s more about developing good habits than intentionally “losing weight on hard mode”

sure.

my broader point is semaglutides really seems to be an amazing technological advancement,
that is solving a really intractable problem in our society

and it feels like culturally we are turning it into like weight loss class warfare. :lol:

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh this is just something you're wrong about.

-Its the long term side effects people are concerned about. Pancreatitis and gallstones are the major ones here. These people who dont need to be on this who are relatively healthy, dont need to develop pancreatitis. This is a benefit vs risk case just like everything in medicine. The risk of serious long term side effects, dont out weigh the benefit of losing 20 lbs because of a medication.

-Drugs are rarely prescribed off label. Its not a common thing in practice. Absolutely no one uses Aspirin for hypertension.

-Diet and exercise absolutely works for people.

-You dont increase supply on a medication that people are abusing. The medications cost 1k+ and insurances dont cover it without a bunch of paperwork of doctors proving the patient has a comorbidity and arent using it for specifially weight loss. Who are the ones paying for it? The models and your Ros's. Not the people who actually NEED it.

The closest thing I can give you an example of is Adderall. Adderall is abused by ALOT. Cant they just discipline themselves and study or get their work done normally? Why is it on shortage in America for children who actually have ADD/ADHD? Why is it that adults are all using it now when they were never diagnosed?

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh this is just something you're wrong about.

-Its the long term side effects people are concerned about. Pancreatitis and gallstones are the major ones here. These people who dont need to be on this who are relatively healthy, dont need to develop pancreatitis. This is a benefit vs risk case just like everything in medicine. The risk of serious long term side effects, don't outweigh the benefit of losing 20 lbs because of a medication.

you are making a moral calculation and acting like it's simply a medical one.
if a person in consultation with their doctor decide they are totally okay with the risks associated with a drug, is that automatically abuse?

obviously not, you are making a subjective value judgment on "losing 20 lbs"
and decided it's abuse to value that over the long term risks associated with a well studied drug that has shown to have minimal side effects.

-Drugs are rarely prescribed off label. Its not a common thing in practice. Absolutely no one uses Aspirin for hypertension.

there are plenty of drugs prescribed for off label use.

• Actiq (oral transmucosal fentanyl citrate), a controlled substance, is used off-label to treat moderate to severe chronic, non-malignant pain even though it is approved in the United States solely for breakthrough pain in cancer patients.[1]
  • Bevacizumab (Avastin) has been used against wet age-related macular degeneration, as well as macular edema from diseases such as diabetic retinopathy and central retinal vein occlusion.[2]
  • Buprenorphine has been shown experimentally (1982–1995) to be effective against severe, refractory depression.[3][4]
  • Bupropion, when sold under the brand name Wellbutrin is indicated for depression. It is also sold as a smoking cessation drug, under the name Zyban. In Ontario, Canada, smoking cessation drugs are not covered by provincial drug plans. Thus, a physician can write a prescription for Wellbutrin to assist with giving up the habit of smoking. Sometimes it is also prescribed as second-line treatment of ADHD, often in combination with the stimulant being used, but it was also shown to work on its own as a norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor.[5] It is also given to counter SSRIs' negative effects on the libido, anorgasmia and anhedonia.
  • Carbamazepine, or Tegretol, has been used as a mood stabilizer and is accepted treatment for bipolar disorder.[6]
  • Clomiphene (Clomid) for male infertility: clomiphene is approved for female infertility due to ovulatory disorder.
  • Clonidine (Catapres) for ADHD: clonidine is approved and commonly used for the treatment of hypertension. Other off-label uses include cancer pain, hot sweats, certain psychiatric disorders, nicotine dependence, opioid withdrawal, migraine headaches, and restless leg syndrome.
  • Colchicine (Colcrys) for pericarditis: colchicine is indicated for the treatment and prevention of gout, though it is also generally considered first-line treatment for acute pericarditis, as well as preventing recurrent episodes. Although the exact mechanism of colchicine is not fully understood, its anti-inflammatory effect for pericarditis appears to be related to its ability to inhibit microtubule self-assembly, resulting in decreased leucocyte motility and phagocytosis. Other non-FDA-approved uses include actinic keratosis, amyloidosis, Peyronie's disease, and psoriasis.
  • Dexamethasone and Betamethasone in premature labor, to enhance pulmonary maturation of the fetus.[7]
  • Doxepin has been used to treat Angiodema and severe allergic reactions due to its strong antihistamine properties.[8]
  • Gabapentin, approved for treatment of seizures and postherpetic neuralgia in adults, is used off-label for a variety of conditions including bipolar disorder, essential tremor, hot flashes, migraine prophylaxis, neuropathic pain syndromes, phantom limb syndrome, and restless leg syndrome.[9]
  • Lithium is approved by the FDA for the treatment of bipolar disorder and is widely prescribed off-label as a treatment for major depressive disorder,[10] often as an augmentation agent. Lithium is recommended for the treatment of schizophrenic disorders only after other antipsychotics have failed; it has limited effectiveness when used alone.[11]
  • Magnesium sulfate is used in obstetrics for premature labor and preeclampsia.[7]
  • Memantine (Namenda) for OCD: memantine is approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
  • Methotrexate (MTX), approved for the treatment of choriocarcinoma, is frequently used for the medical treatment of an unruptured ectopic pregnancy.[12] There is no FDA-approved drug for this purpose and there is little incentive to sponsor an unpatented drug such as MTX for FDA-approval.
  • Misoprostol is approved for medical abortion regimens when administered at the office, but clinicians often give abortion patients the drug to be taken at home.[13]
  • Modafinil is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant medication used to treat sleepiness due to narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder, and obstructive sleep apnea. It is often used off-label as a nootropic.
  • Prazosin (Minipress) for nightmares: prazosin is approved for the use of hypertension. A 2012 systematic review showed a small benefit for the treatment of PTSD-associated night terrors. Other non-FDA-approved uses for prazosin include the treatment of Raynaud's disease and poisoning due to scorpion venom.
  • Propranolol (Inderal) for performance anxiety: propranolol is a non-selective beta-blocker used for the treatment of hypertension and the prophylaxis of angina pectoris. In 1991, a published study showed that a single dose of propranolol immediately before the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) significantly improved performance in high school students prone to cognitive dysfunction due to test anxiety. In addition to test taking, propranolol has been tested for public speaking, performing surgery, musical recitals, and sports, all with varying degrees of benefit. Other off-label uses for propranolol include the treatment of thyroid storm, portal hypertension, and neuroleptic-induced akathisia.
  • Quetiapine (Seroquel) for insomnia: quetiapine is approved for the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
  • Retigabine (INN) is an anticonvulsant used as an adjunctive treatment for partial epilepsies in treatment-experienced adult patients. Currently, it is being tested in the treatment of Tinnitus.
  • The SSRI medication sertraline (Zoloft) is approved as an anti-depressant but is also commonly prescribed off-label to help men suffering from premature ejaculation.[14]
  • Tramadol, an opioid painkiller, is used to treat premature ejaculation,[15] and may also be applied against restless legs syndrome.[citation needed]
  • Low-dose naltrexone is cheap without side effects and used to treat cancer and autoimmune diseases like Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.
  • Naltrexone (Revia) for behavioral addiction: there is some belief that low-dose naltrexone may benefit the treatment of cancer, HIV, and multiple sclerosis by “normalizing” the immune system; however, data is lacking. Naltrexone is approved for the treatment of alcohol and opioid dependence

we can sit and quibble about the semantics of "all the time" or "common"
but that's besides the point, answer the question, if a drug is being prescribed off label; does that automatically mean it's being "abused"

-Diet and exercise absolutely works for people.

we've been recommending diet and exercises to people forever. yet the obesity rates don't really decline.
lots of studies on how difficult diet and excerisis is to implement for most people.

-You dont increase supply on a medication that people are abusing. The medications cost 1k+ and insurances dont cover it without a bunch of paperwork of doctors proving the patient has a comorbidity and arent using it for specifially weight loss. Who are the ones paying for it? The models and your Ros's. Not the people who actually NEED it.

abuse again is just your moral judgment. is all off label use abuse?
we live in a capitalist society, there are no price controls, and there is no rationing.

if you are mad there are shortages for a drug that is being legally prescribed and in high demand, your problem is with capitalism.

Back
Top Bottom