[[....<> The Official Kanye Omari West Thread <>....]] vol. GOOD Music album.

I dunno if I'm the only one...but I'm tired of rappers spittin pre-written verses and calling them freestyles..and then they get a pass just because of their status..I know if I was a rapper, and I went on TV or radio and spit a verse that was already in one of my songs and called it a freestyle, EVERYONE would look at me so sideways and most likely never mess with me again.

But since Kanye is Kanye, he can do it. He's done it on two big notable occasions, once in the video we've just seen, and once at the end of the BET cypher that they held this year at the awards. And Drake's corny !!* is guilty also, ol' "freestyle" from a blackberry lookin' dude. I mean, for artist of their caliber, that's pretty lame.

Just sayin' :/

Pusha 
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Slaptastic

I dunno if I'm the only one...but I'm tired of rappers slpittin pre-written verses and calling them freestyles..and then they get a pass just because of their status..

This. I think the only person I really see freestyle when they get put on the spot is Asher Roth and Common.
You could see in the beginning when Pusha was on the mic that Ye' looked nervous like he didn't know what to say when it was his turn, straight up like the 1st day of class when its you turn to say what you did for the summer. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LIQI2345

Graduation, 808s and Man on the Moon all had that flip book thing going on
I think Late Registration was like that too. not sure tho, I could be wrong

Hov said that "The Joy" would be on this album.

Said it on the DJ Semtex interview...

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

LR released both ways.

Originally Posted by Mcflyy

I dunno if I'm the only one...but I'm tired of rappers slpittin pre-written verses and calling them freestyles..and then they get a pass just because of their status..

This. I think the only person I really see freestyle when they get put on the spot is Asher Roth and Common.

You could see in the beginning when Pusha was on the mic that Ye' looked nervous like he didn't know what to say when it was his turn, straight up like the 1st day of class when its you turn to say what you did for the summer. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

As far as pre-written verses, I think it's aite to spit as long as the song isn't out. It really makes us pay attention to the lyrics. Plus I don't count them as freestyles.

If Ye were to really freestyle, we'd be getting more Pinocchio stories, 6 minutes long
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
The real confusion is that back in the early 80's East Coast rappers referred to freestyles as something that was pre-written but they did it over other beats and at parties and then it was called off the head when they were truly just making it up as they go along. But nowadays we refer to off the head as freestyling. So in that respect you can take it either way. But I know what you mean, it's more impressive to me to hear someone really make it up as they go along and really excel at it like Supernatural then to just hear a pre-written verse spit as if they were making it up right there.

Honestly, as impressive as true freestyling is it is an overrated skill.  You might get a decent line maybe every 8 bars if that from most of these mainstream dudes.  It's not like they freestyle on their albums so why do I want to hear them do it period?

I appreciate a good freestyle but chances are a prewritten verse by the same artist will be infinitely better.  I wont give credit for a wack verse even if it is off the top
ohwell.gif

Freestyling proves nothing at all......Id rather keep it safe and spit something pre writtin rather than say some dumb @%+ lines

Originally Posted by jc619er

laugh.gif
The real confusion is that back in the early 80's East Coast rappers referred to freestyles as something that was pre-written but they did it over other beats and at parties and then it was called off the head when they were truly just making it up as they go along. But nowadays we refer to off the head as freestyling. So in that respect you can take it either way. But I know what you mean, it's more impressive to me to hear someone really make it up as they go along and really excel at it like Supernatural then to just hear a pre-written verse spit as if they were making it up right there.
As soon as I read your reply I was reminded of the Asher Roth Hot 97 freestyle he had, The beginning of the set seemed like it was written lines but as it went on you can tell he started off the top. His freestyle really made me appreciate freestyles again cause you can see someone make up lines out of his surroundings 
pimp.gif
 If you have 8 minutes to spare I would recommend listening to this..

FYI...
The full version of Gorgeous is out. Raekwon X Cudi X Ye.

I apologize if this has been stated already.

PO

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

It's called a digipak, just an FYI. It's pretty standard these days with releases.
And yes, LR was a digipak as well.

Originally Posted by jc619er

You could see in the beginning when Pusha was on the mic that Ye' looked nervous like he didn't know what to say when it was his turn, straight up like the 1st day of class when its you turn to say what you did for the summer.�
laugh.gif
As soon as I read your reply I was reminded of the Asher Roth Hot 97 freestyle he had, The beginning of the set seemed like it was written lines but as it went on you can tell he started off the top. His freestyle really made me appreciate freestyles again cause you can see someone make up lines out of his surroundings�
pimp.gif
�If you have 8 minutes to spare I would recommend listening to this..
Roth is a special case though. His flow and witty quick thinking gives him an upper hand on other rappers. 
A lot of dudes now can think up good stuff, but can't ride a beat for longer than 60 seconds before they go into their own world of off beat rapping. 

And a lot of guys just can't think that well off the top of the head. 

Back
Top Bottom