-The Official Car Discussion Thead-

Anybody own A 1998-2002 4 runner? Looking to make the before thanksgiving

What I really want is a 2009 Denali :smh::smh::smh:

Anybody own A 1998-2002 4 runner? Looking to make the before thanksgiving
What I really want is a 2009 Denali
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif
My best friend has one and he has no complaints. Runs great, still going very strong.

What's a good radar detector? So far im looking at the cobra iradar that connects to your smart phone. Price range is 50-200 btw.

Last edited:
Let's try and liven this up a bit. It's kinda straying away from my original idea of having a discussion about technologies and theories and more about "which should i buy". http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/17/nissan-previews-production-steer-by-wire-system/Nissan has developed a fully electric steering system. I feel like this will be a huge advancement in safety:"Nissan is also working on an autonomous emergency steering system that seems to operate in the same vain as auto brake in some newer cars. If the car detects a possible collision, it will initially warn the driver with an audible tone and display. If this is ignored, it will then proceed to auto brake in an attempt to slow the car down. If a collision is still imminent, the car would then automatically swerve to avoid an accident. There are also sensors that can detect if a car is next to or coming head on with the vehicle to prevent an even worse collision"But it will definitely take away from the whole driver "experience" that people love.I want more in depth info on how it actually works. It says that they are turning all mechanical linkages into electrical but that's about all they said.

I feel bad but i had to do it.

I called VW customer service to talk about my transmission, they admitted that they put a defective transmission in my car, but since the 5 years is done they will only pay 1/3rd the price along with the dealership, so i have to pay 2200 plus tax out of pocket , even though last week they said 1500. I went off at this lady on the phone, i am so angry. My car has been my baby since i got , it makes me sad that since they are the reason i am going to have to sell my baby and get a new car is because of THEIR fault. I went looking at a 2012 golf, its a very nice car, but its no GTI thats for sure. 

I am very disappointed in the quality of service from this company. 

^

Complain, complain, complain and dont take no for an answer. Threaten to get a lawyer (you really wont but its intimidation) and see where that gets you.

323 are severely underpowered. I just can't imagine getting a bimmer without some kick to it, that's just me. 335 or bust
they never made an e90 323i for the US. the 2012 328i are being praised right now with their new engine. however you cant go wrong with the 335i.

335 have turbos right?

ive heard they develop problems after a while.
depends. if you're getting the N54 powerplant (twin turbo 3.0L inline 6) then yes they are notorious for their high pressure fuel pump issues. those years end in 09. in 2010 i believe, they introduced a new 335i which has a N55 engine. its a 3.0L inline 6 with a twin-scroll single turbo which puts out identical output. the n55 is better for daily driver, where the n54 is better for tuners.

Haha that's what you do to your weekender. Never to the DD which I'm assuming this is.

As for diesel, that's what industry I'm in. The main difference between diesel and gas is that diesel does not require spark plugs. It combusts/auto-ignites at higher pressure. And diesel engines operate at MUCH higher compression ratios. For reference, the average car runs at 8:1 and diesel 15:1.

Anything and everything you need to know about diesel you can find at www.dieselnet.com . That's what we use whenever we need a quick reference or even if we're looking into competitor technologies. 

Also, diesel is far more efficient than gasoline. If you get ultra high sulfur diesel, it also runs cleaner as well. For examples, see any VW TDI models

are you manufacturer specific? freightliner/mack/peterbilt/kensworth/volvo? diesels are crazy machines man, everything is BIGGER. lots of labor, but lots of $$$$.
Whats better for me to do with the 12k, put a downpayment on a new car, or lease a new 3 series 
depends, do you want to keep paying for possible future repairs? (new ****** @ 75k is rediculous), or do you want a trouble free NEW whip thats getting amazing rave reviews right now (328i with the n20b20 4cyl twin turbo engine)

if you have more questions about BMW feel free to PM. also, check out their CPO (certified pre-owned) they have 100k warranty and free road side assistance and stuff.. yeah i sound like a salesman, but its a real good deal!

That One series M is one of my favorite cars right now
Thats my dream car!!

I would use the 12k for a true sports car. Something that has just as much or more power than the BMW and is equally or more fun to drive. Cars I would personally get before the BMW-370z-2012+ Charger-5.0 Mustang GT-Challenger-FRS/BRZ-A used Vette If you are looking for a comfortable car that has some power and kick to it, go for the BMW or even consider Audi. Some other great cars in that category are the Passat CC and the newer Maximas. Hope this helped

So you're basically calling a charger, 370, challenger and a mustang more of a sports car then a bmw? :rofl:

Theres a reason its called the "ultimate driving machine". Trust me, once you go bmw, you NEVER touch american. PERIOD. Its like eating filet mignon, and then going to burger king for their "angus steak" burgers. its NOT even close. Oh, and the 335i can smoke all those cars you listed around a track (exception of which vette). not sure where you base on whats a "sports car". I think you're very misinformed. lots of horsepower=/= sports car. just look at the s2000. that thing is a real sports car. the 370z is a joke. even the director of nissan himself said they plan to discontinue it because its too HEAVY. the FRS/BRZ did it right, lightweight and rear wheel drive.

MUSTANGS AND CHALLENGERS ARE NOT SPORTS CARS. THEY ARE MUSCLE CARS. PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY LEARN THE DIFFERENCE.

Umm da zl1 would spank da 335i like a bad child, same wit da gt500..& they're all in da same price range.try again.

I called VW customer service to talk about my transmission, they admitted that they put a defective transmission in my car, but since the 5 years is done they will only pay 1/3rd the price along with the dealership, so i have to pay 2200 plus tax out of pocket , even though last week they said 1500. I went off at this lady on the phone, i am so angry. My car has been my baby since i got , it makes me sad that since they are the reason i am going to have to sell my baby and get a new car is because of THEIR fault. I went looking at a 2012 golf, its a very nice car, but its no GTI thats for sure. 

With a bad experience like that i wouldn't even bother going with another VW. Take the money you get from the car and get something else. If a company did me dirty like that i'd have a really hard time giving them more of my money for another one of their cars.

323 are severely underpowered. I just can't imagine getting a bimmer without some kick to it, that's just me. 335 or bust
they never made an e90 323i for the US. the 2012 328i are being praised right now with their new engine. however you cant go wrong with the 335i.

335 have turbos right?

ive heard they develop problems after a while.
depends. if you're getting the N54 powerplant (twin turbo 3.0L inline 6) then yes they are notorious for their high pressure fuel pump issues. those years end in 09. in 2010 i believe, they introduced a new 335i which has a N55 engine. its a 3.0L inline 6 with a twin-scroll single turbo which puts out identical output. the n55 is better for daily driver, where the n54 is better for tuners.

Haha that's what you do to your weekender. Never to the DD which I'm assuming this is.

As for diesel, that's what industry I'm in. The main difference between diesel and gas is that diesel does not require spark plugs. It combusts/auto-ignites at higher pressure. And diesel engines operate at MUCH higher compression ratios. For reference, the average car runs at 8:1 and diesel 15:1.

Anything and everything you need to know about diesel you can find at www.dieselnet.com . That's what we use whenever we need a quick reference or even if we're looking into competitor technologies. 

Also, diesel is far more efficient than gasoline. If you get ultra high sulfur diesel, it also runs cleaner as well. For examples, see any VW TDI models

are you manufacturer specific? freightliner/mack/peterbilt/kensworth/volvo? diesels are crazy machines man, everything is BIGGER. lots of labor, but lots of $$$$.
Whats better for me to do with the 12k, put a downpayment on a new car, or lease a new 3 series 
depends, do you want to keep paying for possible future repairs? (new ****** @ 75k is rediculous), or do you want a trouble free NEW whip thats getting amazing rave reviews right now (328i with the n20b20 4cyl twin turbo engine)

if you have more questions about BMW feel free to PM. also, check out their CPO (certified pre-owned) they have 100k warranty and free road side assistance and stuff.. yeah i sound like a salesman, but its a real good deal!

That One series M is one of my favorite cars right now
Thats my dream car!!

I would use the 12k for a true sports car. Something that has just as much or more power than the BMW and is equally or more fun to drive. Cars I would personally get before the BMW-370z-2012+ Charger-5.0 Mustang GT-Challenger-FRS/BRZ-A used Vette If you are looking for a comfortable car that has some power and kick to it, go for the BMW or even consider Audi. Some other great cars in that category are the Passat CC and the newer Maximas. Hope this helped

So you're basically calling a charger, 370, challenger and a mustang more of a sports car then a bmw? :rofl:

Theres a reason its called the "ultimate driving machine". Trust me, once you go bmw, you NEVER touch american. PERIOD. Its like eating filet mignon, and then going to burger king for their "angus steak" burgers. its NOT even close. Oh, and the 335i can smoke all those cars you listed around a track (exception of which vette). not sure where you base on whats a "sports car". I think you're very misinformed. lots of horsepower=/= sports car. just look at the s2000. that thing is a real sports car. the 370z is a joke. even the director of nissan himself said they plan to discontinue it because its too HEAVY. the FRS/BRZ did it right, lightweight and rear wheel drive.

MUSTANGS AND CHALLENGERS ARE NOT SPORTS CARS. THEY ARE MUSCLE CARS. PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY LEARN THE DIFFERENCE.

Umm da zl1 would spank da 335i like a bad child, same wit da gt500..& they're all in da same price range.try again.

:lol:

BUT FOR REAL, THE TREND HAS BEEN TO MAKE THESE CARS MORE TRACK FRIENDLY LATELY WHEN FOR THE LONGEST TIME THEY WERE SET UP FOR DRAG RACING.

PEOPLE WOULD ALWAYS TELL ME THEIR CAR WOULD DO THIS OR THAT TO MY CAR AT A TRACK OR DRIFTING. :rolleyes

I JUST HIT THEM WITH THE, "OK, WHAT THAT DRAG TIME LOOKING LIKE?" :lol:

laugh.gif

BUT FOR REAL, THE TREND HAS BEEN TO MAKE THESE CARS MORE TRACK FRIENDLY LATELY WHEN FOR THE LONGEST TIME THEY WERE SET UP FOR DRAG RACING.
PEOPLE WOULD ALWAYS TELL ME THEIR CAR WOULD DO THIS OR THAT TO MY CAR AT A TRACK OR DRIFTING.
eyes.gif

I JUST HIT THEM WITH THE, "OK, WHAT THAT DRAG TIME LOOKING LIKE?"
laugh.gif
That's what I meant when I coined them sports car. I know the challenger, charger, and mustang aren't true sports cars by definition. But they are starting to be handle to handle very well and much better than they used to. And to me a sports car is that, a well performing car all around. Has a lot of power and can handle around corners and turns. I know that's not the true definition but that's what I was alluding to if it makes sense.

^Honestly that's a really dumb reason to not buy a particular brand of car due to whatever role they've had in the past. I mean it's your money and do what you want. BMW is guilty of the same thing. Chase, Volkswagen, Kodak, IBM, Bayer, Coca Cola, Siemens all were associated with Nazi Germany at some point. Move on.
That's not the point.  It's not only about the past, I'm talking about NOW.

You didn't understand my question clearly.

For example, the situation with the black workers in the Mercedes Benz dealership which MB owns...how you fire a person for complaining that people are disrespecting his race in the bathroom walls?

Are certain car companies comfortable with certain races driving their vehicles or do they feel some type of way?

That's what i'm asking.

Gonna have to agree with this. BMW made airplanes, Mercedes made Hiler's car, and Volkswagen made the "people's" car. The way I see it, there was a war going on. Their country was under attack and they needed to support the war effort to defend their country and their lives. Not condoning supporting Nazi Germany but I am condoning the defending of one's nation.
That is understandable.  But i'm asking how is the company mindset towards people.  They sell cars and other products yes, but do anyone have a sense of how they feel?

I read on another post, in the 90s mercedes didn't want rappers driving their cars and minorities, when people heard that they wasn't sellin crap and lexus and bmw was selling cars like crazy.

I just want to know if there is any type of info that shows how some car companies act behind closed doors.

Would getting another GTI be a bad idea.
Yes. It'd be like getting back together with an ex-gf after a bad breakup. What's the point?

You know what cars I already suggested. Take it for what it's worth, it's ultimately up to you

Can we get off this "what should i buy?" topic? And actually have an actual intellectual conversation? This is not how I imagined this thread at all. We were having good discussions the first couple pages but now it's turned to piss. There are far too many people out there who buy a car just because of the numbers they see on a brochure and not understanding the actual technology in their car. Understanding it makes you appreciate your car so much more and makes buying a new car that much easier and enjoyable. 

Here's another conversation piece:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_control_(automotive)

Launch control. Been around for a while but popularized by the GT-R. This is something that has always been on my mind. It basically is controlled by a computer that controlls your RPMs to reduce wheel spin off the line, shaving off precious tenths of a second off the line. 

Pretty cool if you ask me. Here's a video of the GT-R against a Jaguar that has much more power and torque and yet Godzilla SMOKES it

There are far too many people out there who buy a car just because of the numbers they see on a brochure and not understanding the actual technology in their car. Understanding it makes you appreciate your car so much more and makes buying a new car that much easier and enjoyable. 

Launch control. Been around for a while but popularized by the GT-R. This is something that has always been on my mind. It basically is controlled by a computer that controlls your RPMs to reduce wheel spin off the line, shaving off precious tenths of a second off the line. 

Pretty cool if you ask me. Here's a video of the GT-R against a Jaguar that has much more power and torque and yet Godzilla SMOKES it
I totally 100% agree with this. This is why I boast about BMW. I not only work for them, but I am constantly AMAZED at what their technology is. Everything from engine to suspension, electrical, entertainment, etc. This is why I laugh when people bring up "sports cars" that use live rear axles.. I'd love to have discussions in this thread about technology and I'll try my best not to bring up BMW everytime. Lol. (its what I mostly know).

Launch control is a brilliant function. Especially coupled with AWD, its mindblowingly quick. I wish i had the luxury of driving a GTR.. That's the first button i'd touch! (aside from the start button).
Let's try and liven this up a bit. It's kinda straying away from my original idea of having a discussion about technologies and theories and more about "which should i buy". http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/17/nissan-previews-production-steer-by-wire-system/ Nissan has developed a fully electric steering system. I feel like this will be a huge advancement in safety: "Nissan is also working on an autonomous emergency steering system that seems to operate in the same vain as auto brake in some newer cars. If the car detects a possible collision, it will initially warn the driver with an audible tone and display. If this is ignored, it will then proceed to auto brake in an attempt to slow the car down. If a collision is still imminent, the car would then automatically swerve to avoid an accident. There are also sensors that can detect if a car is next to or coming head on with the vehicle to prevent an even worse collision" But it will definitely take away from the whole driver "experience" that people love. I want more in depth info on how it actually works. It says that they are turning all mechanical linkages into electrical but that's about all they said.
I'm very familiar with new collision detection systems. However, a car basically "controlling itself" (what i bolded) brings up some issues.. There are too many variables to just swerve out the way like that.

On BMWs, when a vehicle detects an a frontal collision, the seatbelts tighten, seats are moved to optimal position, all windows and sunroofs are automatically closed, and brakes are pre-charged for maximum effort. I believe it also calls local authority too, I need to double check on that.

But swerving? Thats crazy! What if you're on a bridge or canyon.. or theres childen nearby or something!

I totally 100% agree with this. This is why I boast about BMW. I not only work for them, but I am constantly AMAZED at what their technology is. Everything from engine to suspension, electrical, entertainment, etc. This is why I laugh when people bring up "sports cars" that use live rear axles.. I'd love to have discussions in this thread about technology and I'll try my best not to bring up BMW everytime. Lol. (its what I mostly know).

Launch control is a brilliant function. Especially coupled with AWD, its mindblowingly quick. I wish i had the luxury of driving a GTR.. That's the first button i'd touch! (aside from the start button).

I'm very familiar with new collision detection systems. However, a car basically "controlling itself" (what i bolded) brings up some issues.. There are too many variables to just swerve out the way like that.

On BMWs, when a vehicle detects an a frontal collision, the seatbelts tighten, seats are moved to optimal position, all windows and sunroofs are automatically closed, and brakes are pre-charged for maximum effort. I believe it also calls local authority too, I need to double check on that.

But swerving? Thats crazy! What if you're on a bridge or canyon.. or theres childen nearby or something!
frisco, I aint eem mad if you talk about BMW. It seems like me, you, and a few select people are actually talking about the engineering side of cars which is what I was looking for when I made this thread. That means you take pride in what you do, which is excellent. If we had a discussion about technologies, there wouldn't be a need to discuss BMW vs another car company. 

Launch control is really cool. It literally shaves off the quarter mile time by A LOT of the line. I'm waiting to see in a few years if GT-Rs drop to the mid 20 to 30k range like Corvette's do. I'll be in a market for a car then, so I'm crossing my fingers.

That's what I was taking about with this new collision detection system. Sometimes (read A lot of times) it is better to just have something human controlled. There is something humans can do better than computers and that's thing intuitively. 

Frisco, you got any cool BMW technologies you wanna discuss? I know a lot of the newer technologies start with the Germans before they became saturated in the market

VW customer care has a VERY bad rep from a lot of vw folks

check out vwvortex

terrible

Last edited:
Im in the market for a car, looking for something that is pushing like 200+ hp... Tired of driving these

Im in the market for a car, looking for something that is pushing like 200+ hp... Tired of driving these <150hp cars
Preferably 4 door, 2006 or newer with not too many miles on it
My budget is <$10000... What cars would be in my range?
Used Civic SI, Sentra Spec V or V6 Stang.

Alright guys, enough with this "What should I buy?" stuff. I've asked several times already, people are just posting freely. If this is what this thread is gonna become, I'm going to ask mods to lock it. This is a thread to discuss the engineering side of cars, not for people to ask questions on what to do with their money. Thanks

Yes. It'd be like getting back together with an ex-gf after a bad breakup. What's the point?

You know what cars I already suggested. Take it for what it's worth, it's ultimately up to you

Can we get off this "what should i buy?" topic? And actually have an actual intellectual conversation? This is not how I imagined this thread at all. We were having good discussions the first couple pages but now it's turned to piss. There are far too many people out there who buy a car just because of the numbers they see on a brochure and not understanding the actual technology in their car. Understanding it makes you appreciate your car so much more and makes buying a new car that much easier and enjoyable. 

But isn't lauch control cheating? I wouldn't want to use launch control in my "sports car", that would take away from the experience. Car doesn't drive the man, man drive the car. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom