-The Official Car Discussion Thead-

yea thats true. i just dont want to lose too much power.
i found some raptor rims for 350 but they are 100 miles away :x
what makes a cold air intake more efficient than a regular intake? is it simply because u are getting more air?

I wouldnt say its more efficient i think its just because of its position away from the engine it brings colder air which is more dense to the motor. the denser the air - more oxygen- more gas- more everything pretty much. The power to me isn't really anything unless you have other mods to make use of it. It will be louder than a stock set up

CAI is nothing without a tune after it's installed. If anything it just makes a cool noise esp if its paired with a turbo 
wink.gif

BOSS and nick pretty much hit the nail on the head. The most common way to increase power is to increase the amount of Air-Fuel (A-F) mixture being brought into the engine. Generally there are two ways to do this: 1)Increasing the displacement of the engine (# of cylinders, amount of L displaced) 2) Allow more A-F into the already existing engine (forced induction, CAI) Cold Air intakes basically allows your car to draw "cooler" air from the outside. It is denser and at a lower temperature than your intake gases. This allows more air molecules to be packed into the cylinder (think compression), and therefore more fuel as well. This allows for a greater combustion, and more importantly, combustion at a higher time rate. This delivers more power to the engine. Like BOSS said, any performnace is useless without a tune. The Computers on modern cars will automatically remap itself to get as close as possible to the conditions the car was running under when it left the factory line. This is to mainly keep the same fuel efficiency and emissions. Also, the setup will be louder, especially paired with a Turbo or V-TEC. And especially at higher RPMs. You're going to hear a slight whistling sound, kind of like a heavy wind. That is all the "cold" air being drawn into your engine.

Last edited:
BOSS and nick pretty much hit the nail on the head. The most common way to increase power is to increase the amount of Air-Fuel (A-F) mixture being brought into the engine. Generally there are two ways to do this: 1)Increasing the displacement of the engine (# of cylinders, amount of L displaced) 2) Allow more A-F into the already existing engine (forced induction, CAI) Cold Air intakes basically allows your car to draw "cooler" air from the outside. It is denser and at a lower temperature than your intake gases. This allows more air molecules to be packed into the cylinder (think compression), and therefore more fuel as well. This allows for a greater combustion, and more importantly, combustion at a higher rate. This delivers more power to the engine. Like BOSS said, any performnace is useless without a tune. The Computers on modern cars will automatically remap itself to get as close as possible to the conditions the car was running under when it left the factory line. This is to mainly keep the same fuel efficiency and emissions. Alsom, the setup will be louder, especially compared with a Turbo or V-TEC. And especially at higher RPMs. You're going to hear a slight whistling sound, kind of like a heavy wind. That is all the "cold" air being drawn into your engine.

thanks for the explanation.

i think a majority of ppl just get one so they can put a k&n sticker on their window but dont get a tune. :lol: ill def get a tune as well.

driving a 2011 jag xf right now. about to hit 50k miles. in the market for something else, about the same price. specifically something more spacious, might even get a truck. suggestions?

driving a 2011 jag xf right now. about to hit 50k miles. in the market for something else, about the same price. specifically something more spacious, might even get a truck. suggestions?
If you are looking to get a truck, go American. They make the best trucks bar NONE. The new Rams are looking great as well
nthat.gif

thadocta, also considering getting a "generic" ebay CAI intake. $50 vs the $150 brand name. All a CAI is is piping, hoses, and a filter at the end. Replace the crappy filter they give you with a nice K & N filter for ~$35 and replace the hoses with higher quality hoses for ~$15-20. Keep the piping as it is the EXACT same (stainless steel) that the name brands use. Boom. You got the exact same setup as a name brand for 2/3 of the cost.

thadocta, also considering getting a "generic" ebay CAI intake. $50 vs the $150 brand name. All a CAI is is piping, hoses, and a filter at the end. Replace the crappy filter they give you with a nice K & N filter for ~$35 and replace the hoses with higher quality hoses for ~$15-20. Keep the piping as it is the EXACT same (stainless steel) that the name brands use. Boom. You got the exact same setup as a name brand for 2/3 of the cost.

just browsed on ebay and whats the difference between these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-08-For...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d60fb1e1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-F...&fits=Model:F-150&hash=item43b4e1a4bf&vxp=mtr

and something cheaper like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volant-Perf...&fits=Model:F-150&hash=item53ed4e2fc6&vxp=mtr

not 100% sure but i think the cheaper one is just the scoop on the bottom that attaches to number one. It goes down deeper into the wheel well for colder air. Be sure that the intake has a bypass valve might not be something to worry about in a truck but for cars i highly recommend it.

Can't view eBay links at work but I can take a look when I get home. Also, I recommend getting a hydro shield for the filter. If water gets through the intake, your engine is done.

Frisco, you got any cool BMW technologies you wanna discuss? I know a lot of the newer technologies start with the Germans before they became saturated in the market
Sorry for the late reply. I cant really say if other car manufacturers use similar technology, but there are some things BMW cars (especially the newer F models) do..

Cool things BMW does is how the car virtually has its own brain. BMW's ususally tend to "fall asleep" around 68 minutes after your car is turned off. During the middle of the night, some sensors will "wake up" the car and look at sensors like coolant temp and ambient air temp, and adjust the timing on its own incase the owner wanted to come outside and start the car for optimum effiency..

These cars are very smart man.. once you get indepth on this technology, its amazing!

Another random cool BMW tech is on the e60 m5. It uses something called ionic current control. It basically uses the sparkplug as a sensor by sending a small amount of voltage through it AFTER it sparks to detect resistance during combustion..

Basically, it can detect a misfire before it happens, it tells the ECU and it ******s timing to prevent it. It basically saves itself! As far as I remember, BMW only put it on that s85 v10 motor. I'd have to double check!

These cars have so many friggin sensors, it can monitor things like battery cranking power (which ususally you'd need a multimeter or something) to like ..scheduling an appointment for an oil change after notifying you that you're due!

Last edited:
Frisco or anyone really do you think bmw and most German cars for that matter deserve the bad name they get in terms of not being reliable especially when it comes to higher mileage cars? Is it that German car owners do not maintain there cars properly? I do see some high mileage cars but not as many as the Japanese or american cars for that matter.

Frisco or anyone really do you think bmw and most German cars for that matter deserve the bad name they get in terms of not being reliable especially when it comes to higher mileage cars? Is it that German car owners do not maintain there cars properly? I do see some high mileage cars but not as many as the Japanese or american cars for that matter.
This has been a hot topic for debate for a while. Generally, they are very reliable IF you drop the dough for OEM parts ONLY. Meaning, parts that came straight from the manufacturer. But they do have their flaws, as mentioned earlier with the ****** and turbo issues. But it's not just German cars, it's all cars and all manufactured parts for that matter. They're bound to have flaws, some more than others.IMO, a large majority of the problems come from people becoming too cheap to drop the dough on OEM parts and maintenance. That's why I ALWAYS tell people who are considering to buy a BMW, VW, Audi, etc to always make sure they can afford it. This next statement pretty much summarizes what you should consider when buying German:"It is one thing to be able to afford to BUY one. But it is a completely different thing to be able to afford to OWN one"Great cars, expensive as hell to maintain compared to the **** and Americans

The first two you posted are actual intake kits. The third one is just an "add-on" if you will to a current CAI kit. The main parts of a CAI are:1)Filter2)Piping3)Hoses

I agree about the German Thing, people wanna shell out that initial money to "stunt" in a BMW/VW/AUDI but don't wanna come correct with the upkeep. Your paying for high performance engineering, you think that's cheep?

Well, heres the thing..

Cars are MADE to breakdown. It keeps the economy going. If a car could last forever, no one would be buying parts, paying for labor, or buying newer cars. So just remember that a manufacturer will NEVER make a 100% maintenance free reliable car. Is it possible with our technology? Its debatable, but I think it is!

Now, German not so much have a bad rep from 'engine reliablity'. Its from the 'components' really. In my opinion. it's a pretty simple logic:

German car is equipped with lets say.. 200 sensors.

Japanese car is equipped with 40.

German car might have 5x more probability that components will go bad.

German cars are constantly adding new features and trying to make things more "simple" for the car. For example, transmission fluid is 'maintenance free'. The battery is also 'maintenance free'. Now that doesnt mean it wont have its faults later, but it just means you dont need to change the fluid. Thats where the general public dont really understand it. Because once the transmission or battery or whatever needs to get replaced, these 'maintenance free' items are ALOT more expensive than a japanese car that has a transmission or battery that needs to be serviced every 75000 miles or whatever the intervals are.

Parts that are 'maintenance free' are convenience items! They are more expensive because the manufacturer is losing out on crucial money : which is those 60k 90k (the ones not covered by warranty) maintenance times!

Sorry, kinda rambling here. But to answer your question, do I think they deserve the bad name? No! (of course I may seem biast). German cars are like a special breed of animal. They require very specific things. They have special fluids and special components. If the owner is uninformed of this, problems may occur. I see high mileage German cars all the time (130k+) and they dont rattle or clank or anything! They're super solid and feel brand new. Its because the owner still takes it to the dealership on a regular maintenance interval, even when the warrenty is up! Ususally when people start taking them somewhere else where they arent certified, little problems can occure.

Another thing is, generally when you can afford to buy a brand new car for lets say 60 grand. Do you honestly think they're going to keep that car for life? Majority of them upgrade again within 4-6 years, which is why its harder to find an older model german car compared to a older model japanese car. People who buy German cars ususally dont make it a 1 time investment. They buy German because they appreciate what a car CAN be. It can be your getaway, or your mobile office, or a toy, or whatever they need! It's ususally not a point-a to point-b purchase!

I agree about the German Thing, people wanna shell out that initial money to "stunt" in a BMW/VW/AUDI but don't wanna come correct with the upkeep. Your paying for high performance engineering, you think that's cheep?
Correct! A German car's logo recieves attention from everyone! Every car maintained probably WILL last. (unless you have a lemon).

However, that logic doesnt apply to PT Cruisers.
laugh.gif

This has been a hot topic for debate for a while. Generally, they are very reliable IF you drop the dough for OEM parts ONLY. Meaning, parts that came straight from the manufacturer. But they do have their flaws, as mentioned earlier with the ****** and turbo issues. But it's not just German cars, it's all cars and all manufactured parts for that matter. They're bound to have flaws, some more than others.IMO, a large majority of the problems come from people becoming too cheap to drop the dough on OEM parts and maintenance. That's why I ALWAYS tell people who are considering to buy a BMW, VW, Audi, etc to always make sure they can afford it. This next statement pretty much summarizes what you should consider when buying German:"It is one thing to be able to afford to BUY one. But it is a completely different thing to be able to afford to OWN one"Great cars, expensive as hell to maintain compared to the **** and Americans

well said

Looks pretty good! Im shocked that this is the first time its using DI! (Direct Injection).

Sometimes I feel like American Engineers are "slow" on purpose. Its an interesting conspiracy.. The technology is out there, and these american cars are still lagging behind japanese and european cars!

However, lately they've been catching up especially in the sporty department. But now all these GM heads will brag about their new direct injected small block,

Anyways, Direct Injection is a very cool thing:

1) It helps with fuel economy because it sprays the fuel IN the combustion chamber, not in the manifold. Which increases efficiency and lowers emissions!

2) It can help cool the CC by spraying fuel inside. So that means they can increase the compression ratio a bit.

3) It gives better response because now they dont need the use of a throttle plate!

also lets be real besides a small percentage who browse forums an do aftermarket work etc that voids warranty anyways when you go to a dealer

MOST BMW/AUDI heads LEASE or they just got money to burn with toys/mods, trade up/sell whenever they want

there are literally stories out there of dealer denyin warranty work because ppl dont have the stock wheels on their car

Last edited:
also lets be real besides a small percentage who browse forums an do aftermarket work etc that voids warranty anyways when you go to a dealer
MOST BMW/AUDI heads LEASE or they just got money to burn with toys/mods, trade up/sell whenever they want
there are literally stories out there of dealer denyin warranty work because ppl dont have the stock wheels on their car
Strongly disagree

Well, heres the thing..

Cars are MADE to breakdown. It keeps the economy going. If a car could last forever, no one would be buying parts, paying for labor, or buying newer cars. So just remember that a manufacturer will NEVER make a 100% maintenance free reliable car. Is it possible with our technology? Its debatable, but I think it is!

Now, German not so much have a bad rep from 'engine reliablity'. Its from the 'components' really. In my opinion. it's a pretty simple logic:

German car is equipped with lets say.. 200 sensors.

Japanese car is equipped with 40.

German car might have 5x more probability that components will go bad.

German cars are constantly adding new features and trying to make things more "simple" for the car. For example, transmission fluid is 'maintenance free'. The battery is also 'maintenance free'. Now that doesnt mean it wont have its faults later, but it just means you dont need to change the fluid. Thats where the general public dont really understand it. Because once the transmission or battery or whatever needs to get replaced, these 'maintenance free' items are ALOT more expensive than a japanese car that has a transmission or battery that needs to be serviced every 75000 miles or whatever the intervals are.

Parts that are 'maintenance free' are convenience items! They are more expensive because the manufacturer is losing out on crucial money : which is those 60k 90k (the ones not covered by warranty) maintenance times!

Sorry, kinda rambling here. But to answer your question, do I think they deserve the bad name? No! (of course I may seem biast). German cars are like a special breed of animal. They require very specific things. They have special fluids and special components. If the owner is uninformed of this, problems may occur. I see high mileage German cars all the time (130k+) and they dont rattle or clank or anything! They're super solid and feel brand new. Its because the owner still takes it to the dealership on a regular maintenance interval, even when the warrenty is up! Ususally when people start taking them somewhere else where they arent certified, little problems can occure.

Another thing is, generally when you can afford to buy a brand new car for lets say 60 grand. Do you honestly think they're going to keep that car for life? Majority of them upgrade again within 4-6 years, which is why its harder to find an older model german car compared to a older model japanese car. People who buy German cars ususally dont make it a 1 time investment. They buy German because they appreciate what a car CAN be. It can be your getaway, or your mobile office, or a toy, or whatever they need! It's ususally not a point-a to point-b purchase!
Ugh! There is a name for this.. I just learned about it.. I'll be back when I remember it lol..

This is true, however they'll ususally deny warranty work if it pertains to the aftermarket accessories.

If the speakers blow, they'll replace them because aftermarket wheels dont effect speakers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom