The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

None, those guys are good mma strikers

Rewatch Anderson silvas very first fight in the ufc and pay attention to his footwork

Can you tell me any of the guys you listed have ever moved like that?
Anderson is a special talent in terms of flow and distance. That isn’t the only thing that matters in boxing though

Anderson is a special talent in terms of flow and distance. That isn’t the only thing that matters in boxing though

Anyone in mma can get in a ring and throw punches, that doesnt mean theyll transition well to boxing

Watch his first fight, pay attention to his footwork, it's not nothing, compared to him, everyone else in mma is stiff as ****

Last edited:
None, those guys are good mma strikers

Rewatch Anderson silvas very first fight in the ufc and pay attention to his footwork

Can you tell me any of the guys you listed have ever moved like that?

Anderson was an enigma
No disrespect but I think this take is a little aged? The game has evolved tremendously…

have you not seen MVP or Stylebender fight?

also, andy’s first fight against leben was a masterpiece but lets not act like leben wasn’t plotting forward with no head movement…dood made a living eating shots.

No disrespect but I think this take is a little aged? The game has evolved tremendously…

have you not seen MVP or Stylebender fight?

also, andy’s first fight against leben was a masterpiece but lets not act like leben wasn’t plotting forward with no head movement…dood made a living eating shots.

nope, i dont think its aged

i did watch the stylebender fight, hes not anderson and he'll never be anderson, no matter how long he holds on to the title

anderson didnt beat some nobody, who did mvp beat? why am i having difficulty finding their records? you think professional boxers are giving mma fighters credit for beating nobodies?

nevermind leben, watch the footwork :nerd:

my point is that anderson is different, hes always been different, and trying to use his talent as a reflection for the rest of the strikers in mma, even the best ones, isnt something i agree with

This is a reach. Plenty of fighters past and present with nice footwork. TJ, Max, Whitaker, Wonderboy, Aldo, Izzy, Al Iaquinta, Conor, GSP, Frankie.

chris leben had decent footwork too :lol:

this fight was over a decade ago, and im gonna be honest, if you asked me who all the fighters everyones listed move more like, leben or anderson, id say leben

im not joking at all

which also brings up the question, if weve known about anderson for over a decade, how come fighters today still dont move like him?

this fight was over a decade ago, and im gonna be honest, if you asked me who all the fighters everyones listed move more like, leben or anderson, id say leben

im not joking at all

which also brings up the question, if weve known about anderson for over a decade, how come fighters today still dont move like him?

Leben is pretty flat footed and just rumbled forward. Which is why casual fans liked him. You were guaranteed a violent encounter and probably a stoppage. Saying Tj, Max, Wonderboy, etc move more like Leben than Anderson is just being disingenuous.

Chris leben footwork?
FD41A5C8-20A7-4937-A4FA-394D49506A3D.gif

I tried bro, enjoy the rest of your day.

prime dom moved better than tj and probably wonderboy and id still say anderson is on a different planet

there's jerkiness to them that i cant really describe

Chris leben footwork?
FD41A5C8-20A7-4937-A4FA-394D49506A3D.gif

I tried bro, enjoy the rest of your day.

i keep telling people to watch the fight, but i guess people are too busy with work or whatever

i said he had decent footwork, are you suggesting he had horrible footwork? like two left feet? or like he just walked like a regular person would? or was he tripping all over the place?

Anderson is definitely a highly skilled boxer and much higher level than most or maybe any in MMA, it seems rather obvious if he'd chosen to pursue boxing instead of MMA he might have done very well and even become a champion. There are definitely some guys like Cody, Max, TJ. GSP that I'd like to see step in the ring. However, boxing stances and defense is so much different from an MMA match it's really hard to compare the two. I mean a guy like Leben comes across as very sloppy but he's no slouch either.

Without seeing most of these guys actually compete in a match I think its hard to gauge accurately. We'll see how a guy like TWood does later this summer, his flurries won't be as effective given there's obviously no threat of take downs in boxing. He'll have a few months to train solely boxing so will be interesting to see how he does.

What’s the point? Boxing is a young man’s game (or at least in their prime). The weird sideshow is just a content starved audience and an unwillingness by the sport of boxing to put on marquee matchups.

For Luls or what ifs, maybe it’s interesting to see these MMA box. But Francis probably has nothing for Tyson Fury whose last opponent was a guy with major KO power but not heavy on the technical (which takes years).

With Holly and Claressa, it’s a case of folks transitioning to a new sport. Also, women’s MMA is still young. I can’t see the top boxers transitioning to MMA. Less money and it’s a more dynamic sport which does require you to be competent to great in several arts.

i keep telling people to watch the fight, but i guess people are too busy with work or whatever

i said he had decent footwork, are you suggesting he had horrible footwork? like two left feet? or like he just walked like a regular person would? or was he tripping all over the place?

I watched the fight earlier. I actually remember watching it live and not knowing anything about Silva at the time. I'm friends with Jorge Rivera and he put me on because he fought him like a year or two earlier.

No one said Silva wasn't good with his feet. The suggestion that he's like some footwork prodigy and the rest of the MMA competition are peasants in that area is disingenuous at best though :lol:

I wouldnt use the word peasants, but he's so far beyond everyone else, they might as well be

Guys have good MMA footwork like they have good MMA striking

Anderson is just on a completely different level

Honestly any of the guys listed in here could get in the boxing ring. Doesn't mean they'd be world beaters or champs, but they could try.

Not necessarily an MMA-to-Boxing, but Chris Algieri was an american kickboxer before transitioning to boxing and he actually won a world title. Got destroyed by Pac the very next fight but still, It's not outlandish to think that at the right age and with the right effort that some of these guys could pull it off. Especially if they're picking the right opponents.

That said, I do think Anderson has that "it" factor, he especially had it in his prime. Chin, accuracy, speed, power, timing of course, but there's just that "it" with Anderson. For example, Izzy is one of the best strikers in MMA, but Anderson in his prime woulda got a guy like Vettori out of there, Izzy didn't. Anderson was just a different type of dude.

In terms of MMA guys going over to boxing, prime Anderson, BJ and Aldo, plus Michael Johnson, Aaron Pico, Petr Yan, Conor, Dominick Cruz and the Diaz brothers would be my top picks.

Anderson is definitely a highly skilled boxer and much higher level than most or maybe any in MMA, it seems rather obvious if he'd chosen to pursue boxing instead of MMA he might have done very well and even become a champion. There are definitely some guys like Cody, Max, TJ. GSP that I'd like to see step in the ring. However, boxing stances and defense is so much different from an MMA match it's really hard to compare the two. I mean a guy like Leben comes across as very sloppy but he's no slouch either.

Without seeing most of these guys actually compete in a match I think its hard to gauge accurately. We'll see how a guy like TWood does later this summer, his flurries won't be as effective given there's obviously no threat of take downs in boxing. He'll have a few months to train solely boxing so will be interesting to see how he does.
Boxing is 90% footwork. Silva has always had superior footwork in mma. That natural bounce and grace. No surprise here

Yeah but we are we talking about? Freak Show fights a la Jake/Logan Paul or Washed Up Mike Tyson/Roy Jones?

Yeah, we will probably get that Jones/Silva fight. But okay. It’s not exactly high level boxing.

+

Saying those guys would do well in boxing is equivalent of saying pro boxers would do well in mma.

MMA fighters train pure boxing too. In pure boxing gyms by pure boxing trainers. They are very often called in to be sparring partners for their pro boxing gym mates. See example below of Cyril Gane sparring with the French Olympic team

On the other hand , a boxer has never felt canvas on his back.

This Is why you almost NEVER see a pure boxer test himself under mma ruleset.

Back
Top Bottom