The Hobbit: an unexpected journey. Anyone looking forward to this??

TT is the "worst" of the 3 by miles. It suffers from the classic middle movie of a trilogy problem - it just doesn't really go anywhere.

this. Honestly, I used to love two towers, but after further viewings, Fellowship is the strongest.

Yup for sure. These movies came out when I was a kid so I used to love Two Towers because the battle scenes were just awesome but when you're older and you watch Fellowship you realize just how great of a movie it is.

Last edited:
I was really looking forward to it, but to be honest it was kind of disappointing. I don't think it was nearly as good as either of the LOTR movies. I found it pretty slow, there just isn't enough happening in it to justify it's length. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, but compared to what Peter JAckson did on the other flicks, it's nowhere near the level, his attention to detail is amazing, but in this case overdone, even with the fight sequences, which are brilliant, I still don't think there is enough plot. In addition I kind of found the amount of humor in it, unusual in a way. I haven't decided if it's good or bad, but compared to the dark times the novel describes and the story itself plays in I found it a bit weird to have so many jokes, although there were a few pretty good ones.

Seemed to be a bit more childish than the LOTR trilogy. Also sucks that they spread it out for 3 years.. should have set the release dates closer together

I saw it in Lincoln Center NYE and loved it. I expected it to be terrible, but I found myself enjoying it thoroughly.

saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Good movie if you're into LOTR/Those type of movies.

Seemed to be a bit more childish than the LOTR trilogy. Also sucks that they spread it out for 3 years.. should have set the release dates closer together

That's because it is - the Hobbit was written for children. Tolkien thought about rewriting it in the style of LoTR but his publisher wasnt interested.

PJ talked about that in an interview I saw too. They intentionally made it lighter partly because of the way the book is but also because Middle Earth at this time was a different place.

You also have to remember that he only has the rights to the Hobbit - and can't start filming extra things that aren't in the book. He's obviously added a few extra things - but they're inventions rather than stuff from the appendices etc.

Last edited:
is this movie based on this cartoon??? i remember i was so freaked out when it would come on the disney channel..

Are you serious? they could've easily fit the entire book into 1 movie. why would they split it..... wait it's money grab Hollywood so I shouldn't be surprised. anyways, I seen it last week and absolutely enjoyed it. Very good movie from beginning to end. only thing though is that some scenes I felt were a little too drawn out like the scene with Bilbo and golom. That scene was waay too long. It was cool when the scene first started, but then it just dragged on for like 10-15 mins (it felt longer than that to me). that scene wasn't that great to me because golom gets really really annoying as time goes on. I don't see why people like that character so much, I mean he's OK but dude voice is irritating and comes off as a whiny and weird little kid that is always begging for attention. that's just me though.

man when i went to see it the people in the audience LOVED every word that came out of smeagols mouth. they were laughing like crazy. i was like what the hell? :lol: People really do love him lol

definitely will go, gonna go with my mom, she always loved LoTR and Sci-fi fantasy in general, no shame
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

hopefully its in IMAX and not IMAX3D

Saw it yesterday, WAAYYY better than Unexpected Journey.

Tons more actions, definitely darker and more sinister, and Legolas is still G.

SMAUG :wow: :pimp:

Unexpected Journey was really slow and really disappointed that this is a trilogy and not one film. I just suggested watching this movie today with the fiancé and she no because there are spiders in the movie. Smh, looks like I'll have to watch this film alone, just like the first film. 
mean.gif

I mean they couldn't given a black person ONE lead character in the movie? At least a dwarf or something...damn. Only black people I saw were the "humans." It would've been great if Forest Whitaker played a dwarf. 

Other than the obvious lack of diversity in this pretty much all white film, I thought it was great. Action packed. I could've easily watched it for another hour. Looking fwd to part 3. 

Is it just me or are the Orcs weak as heck? They stay getting their butts whipped by ...EVERYONE. I mean an entire army was taken out by a hobbit, 13 dwarves, and a few elves. Orcs are weaksauce.

I mean they couldn't given a black person ONE lead character in the movie? At least a dwarf or something...damn. Only black people I saw were the "humans." It would've been great if Forest Whitaker played a dwarf. 

Other than the obvious lack of diversity in this pretty much all white film, I thought it was great. Action packed. I could've easily watched it for another hour. Looking fwd to part 3. 

Is it just me or are the Orcs weak as heck? They stay getting their butts whipped by ...EVERYONE. I mean an entire army was taken out by a hobbit, 13 dwarves, and a few elves. Orcs are weaksauce.

**** outta here you want diversity in The Hobbit :smh: :lol:

Out of all the films that need more diversity this is not one of the them.

Back
Top Bottom