The Hobbit: an unexpected journey. Anyone looking forward to this??

Never watched the original LOTR trilogy. Will that affect my understanding of this movie?

No. In fact, watching this will make LOTR easier to digest, so to speak. I remember watching The Fellowship, and a friend of mine didn't even know about the Eagles, which play an incredibly vital role in The Hobbit. They're not as prevalent in LOTR, but their existence is important to Middle Earth.

As for the reviews, the audience reviews are much better than the critics, which mean the critics are basically crusty old farts who hated the new technology (and the sweeping epic-ness).

Really enjoyed the film, Peter Jackson killed it once again. If you're skeptical about the reviews, which I was, I say completely ignore them. I feel like if you're a fan of LOTR there's no way you can not enjoy this movie.

Last edited:
IDK why but I forgot this was going to be multiple movies :smh: I can understand maybe 2, but 3 :wow: Seems like it is being dragged out just for the sake of making money and making it a trilogy :smh:

Gonna catch this on a small screen.
Can't shake the feeling like only the last one would be worth seeing and not boring for most of it.

It is ok, in the sense that there is enough happening for it to be the first part. The cliffhanger was ok, I didn't feel robbed like I did during Pirates 2. Go see it. :D

I loved LoTR trilogy and im psyched for The hobbit even if it is part 1 of 3. hit me with a
indifferent.gif
when I found out its split into 3 parts on a 300 page book... LoTR had a book each on way bigger page sizes. Hate how I'm gonna have to watch it in 3D IMAX to get full effect. not on the 3D hype

Last edited:
Alright...this made me at least wanna watch the trilogy again...

[h2]The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Top 30 Moments[/h2]
December 14th, 2012 | Posted by jasonmckinnon in All Time Best | All Time Best Countdowns | Featured Posts | Movies

Lord-of-the-rings-logo1.gif

[h3]THE JOURNEY ENDS[/h3]

I’ve counted down the 10 best moments of The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers & The Return of the King.  In Part 4 of this series, we find out where each of these rank in the series as a whole!  For more detailed write ups be sure to check out Part 1,2& 3:

Top 10 Moments: The Fellowship of the Ring

Top 10 Moments: The Two Towers

Top 10 Moments: The Return of the King

http://jaymckinnon.com/blog/movies/top-10-moments-the-return-of-the-king

[h2]WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE LORD OF THE RINGS MOMENT?[/h2]
[h2]30. ROHAN ARRIVES[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-Rohan-to-the-rescue.jpg

The-Return-of-the-King-Rohan-vs-Orcs.jpg

[h2]29. THE BIRTH OF LURTZ[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-ring-birth-of-lurtz.gif

[h2]28. GANDALF VS BALROG 2: THE WIDE SHOT[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-Gandalf-Balrog-fight-cavern.jpg

[h2]27. SMEAGOL’S BIRTHDAY[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-Smeagols-Birthday.jpg

[h2]26. NUMBER 43[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-Number-43.jpg

[h2]25. WEATHERTOP[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-weathertop-ring.jpg

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-aragorn-vs-wraiths.jpg

[h2]24. LEGOLAS SHIELD SURFING[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-The-Two-Towers-legolas-shield-surfing-1.jpg

The-Two-Towers-legolas-shield-surfing-2.jpg

[h2]23. IS THIS ALL YOU CAN CONJURE SARUMAN?[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-Explosion-helms-deep-2.jpg

The-Two-Towers-The-Two-Towers-Explosion-helms-deep-2.jpg

[h2]22. THE WATCHER IN THE WATER[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-watcher-in-the-water.jpg

[h2]21. HORSE TIDAL WAVE[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-horse-tidal-wave.jpg

[h2]20. THE CAVE TROLL[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-cave-troll.jpg

[h2]19. I WILL TAKE IT / FELLOWSHIP[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-i-will-take-the-ring-to-mordor.jpg

[h2]18. SAM VS SHELOB[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-Sam-saves-day.jpg

The-Return-of-the-King-sam-come-on-then-finish-it.jpg

[h2]17. GO HOME[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-Go-Home-Sam-1.jpg

The-Return-of-the-King-Go-Home-Sam-2.jpg

[h2]16. MY BUSINESS IS WITH ISENGARD[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-Ent-squishes-orc.jpg

The-Two-Towers-release-the-river.jpg

The-Two-Towers-Ent-on-Fire.jpg

[h2]15. TOSS ME[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-The-Two-Towers-Aragorn-Tosses-Gimli-1.jpg

The-Two-Towers-Aragorn-Tosses-Gimli-2.jpg

[h2]14. ARAGORN VS LURTZ / MY KING[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Aragorn-vs-Lurtz.jpg

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Aragorn-Boromir.jpg

[h2]13. DWARROWDELF[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-dwarrdowdelf1.jpg

[h2]12. MY PRECIOUS[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-my-precious.jpg

The-Two-Towers-This-is-sting.jpg

[h2]11. THE GREAT STORIES[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-the-great-stories.jpg

The-Two-Towers-Good-in-this-world.jpg

The-Two-Towers-what-are-we-holding-on-to.jpg

[h2]10. LEGOLAS VS MUMAKIL[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-Legolas-vs-Mumakil.jpg

The-Return-of-the-King-That-still-only-counts-as-one.jpg

[h2]9. THE BEACONS[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-The-Beacons-Are-Lit.jpg

[h2]8. BOROMIR PIERCED BY MANY[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-boromir-arrows.jpg

[h2]7. “WHITE SHORES & BEYOND…”[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-White-Shores-and-beyond.jpg

[h2]6. AT DAWN LOOK TO THE EAST[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-theoden-stands-alone.jpg

The-Two-Towers-Helms-deep-gandalf-eomer.jpg

The-Two-Towers-at-dawn-look-east.jpg

The-Two-Towers-gandalf-arrives1.jpg

[h2]5. YOU SHALL NOT PASS[/h2]

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-you-shall-not-pass.jpg

Fellowship-of-the-Ring-gandalf-balrog.jpg

[h2]4. “FOR FRODO”[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-Certainty-of-death-small-chance-of-success.jpg

The-Return-of-the-King-For-Frodo.jpg

[h2]3. GOLLUM VS SMEAGOL[/h2]

The-Two-Towers-Smeagol-vs-Gollum.jpg

[h2]2. SAM CARRIES FRODO[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-Sam-Carries-Frodo.jpg

The-Return-of-the-King-But-I-can-carry-you.jpg

[h2]1. MOUNT DOOM[/h2]

The-Return-of-the-King-Mount-Doom.jpg

The-Return-of-the-King-Sauron-Destroyed.jpg

:pimp:

Last edited:
I loved LoTR trilogy and im psyched for The hobbit even if it is part 1 of 3. hit me with a :stoneface: when I found out its split into 3 parts on a 300 page book... LoTR had a book each on way bigger page sizes. Hate how I'm gonna have to watch it in 3D IMAX to get full effect. not on the 3D hype

Heard the 3rd movie is going to be more about bridging the gap between the hobbit and LOTR using the appendices from some of the stories

http://screenrant.com/hobbit-3-peter-jackson/

Great movie all around. Its about 3 hours but almost no dull spots and sets up the 2nd perfectly IMO. Must see even if you aren't familiar with the OG movies like myself.

I saw it and liked it. I love LOTR but haven't read any of the books associated with it. Watching The Hobbit provided (at least so far) some cool and interesting background information that enhances LOTR.

Saw it in IMAX 3D but it wasn't 48fps (which we were told it was gonna be :smh: )

I saw it and liked it. I love LOTR but haven't read any of the books associated with it. Watching The Hobbit provided (at least so far) some cool and interesting background information that enhances LOTR.
Saw it in IMAX 3D but it wasn't 48fps (which we were told it was gonna be :smh: )

The HFR is on very few screens. Even the best IMAX screen around here doesn't have it. It's on a couple crappy IMAX screens and another large screen. That's it.

I went to see it in 3d HFR (non imax) and it was :pimp:. I was expecting to be disappointed due to some of the negative feedback and because it only covers the first 6 chapters of the book. I have read the LOTR books, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion so this is coming from a biased perspective.

The only out of place scenes I ecountered were Radagast and his rabbit sled :smh:

I went to see it in 3d HFR (non imax) and it was :pimp:. I was expecting to be disappointed due to some of the negative feedback and because it only covers the first 6 chapters of the book. I have read the LOTR books, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion so this is coming from a biased perspective.
The only out of place scenes I ecountered were Radagast and his rabbit sled :smh:

Yeah, the Radagast stuff was a little bothersome, but it's all part of Jackson weaving in other parts of Middle Earth into the story (because they don't have the rights to tell it outright).

How come the orcs from hobbit look different than the orcs from LOTR ?

Last edited:
Great movie, as someone who has read all the books I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Only thing though, I wonder Jackson is planning to stretch the rest of the book into two feature length movies. I'm assuming the next one will be about Smaug only, so he must be planning some seriously epic **** for the Battle of Five Armies to take up the entire last film. We'll see.

I loved LoTR trilogy and im psyched for The hobbit even if it is part 1 of 3. hit me with a :stoneface: when I found out its split into 3 parts on a 300 page book... LoTR had a book each on way bigger page sizes. Hate how I'm gonna have to watch it in 3D IMAX to get full effect. not on the 3D hype

Are you serious? they could've easily fit the entire book into 1 movie. why would they split it..... wait it's money grab Hollywood so I shouldn't be surprised. anyways, I seen it last week and absolutely enjoyed it. Very good movie from beginning to end. only thing though is that some scenes I felt were a little too drawn out like the scene with Bilbo and golom. That scene was waay too long. It was cool when the scene first started, but then it just dragged on for like 10-15 mins (it felt longer than that to me). that scene wasn't that great to me because golom gets really really annoying as time goes on. I don't see why people like that character so much, I mean he's OK but dude voice is irritating and comes off as a whiny and weird little kid that is always begging for attention. that's just me though.

I loved LoTR trilogy and im psyched for The hobbit even if it is part 1 of 3. hit me with a
indifferent.gif
when I found out its split into 3 parts on a 300 page book... LoTR had a book each on way bigger page sizes. Hate how I'm gonna have to watch it in 3D IMAX to get full effect. not on the 3D hype
Are you serious? they could've easily fit the entire book into 1 movie. why would they split it..... wait it's money grab Hollywood so I shouldn't be surprised. anyways, I seen it last week and absolutely enjoyed it. Very good movie from beginning to end. only thing though is that some scenes I felt were a little too drawn out like the scene with Bilbo and golom. That scene was waay too long. It was cool when the scene first started, but then it just dragged on for like 10-15 mins (it felt longer than that to me). that scene wasn't that great to me because golom gets really really annoying as time goes on. I don't see why people like that character so much, I mean he's OK but dude voice is irritating and comes off as a whiny and weird little kid that is always begging for attention. that's just me though.

Back
Top Bottom